LX: OK to remove all plastic shrouding in engine bay? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wanted to see if anyone else removed all the plastic shrouding from your LX.
It gets in the way of seeing all vital fluids.

Negative. At least not all of it. Unless you don't mind compromising part of the radiator cooling performance.

The forward part over the radiator is important to help manage airflow through and not over the radiator. It also prevents hot air from recirculating back through the radiator.

See this link for a picture reference:

I did it to work on the dual battery and no obvious difference, but worth running full time.

As final touch, buy cheap fake wood wallpaper and wrap around steering wheel and dash bits.

I removed mine. Stupid “feature” imo. I actually look at my engine from time to to check battery, belts, leaks, etc. I bet the lexus service techs curse them every service appt.

I have mine on for the record. I like visual of less noisy engine bay. Have to take the driver side off frequently.

I removed the big cover on the top of the engine. Not sure that it did anything but lose a pound off the nose

I agree I hate removing the covers. Just as I hate removing the shields below to change oil or service the vehicle.

IMO, it's more of a mental PITA, as the clips come off easily with a pry with covers off in a couple minutes.

Is it critical to cooling? Depends.

It's going to be that hot hot day, carrying or towing a heavy load on grade with throttle >80% down,, where every bit of capacity is needed. Or off-roading in sand or steep inclines at idle speeds to low speeds with poor air circulation. Yet the cooling is sized for extreme heat/duty that the 200 series sees in places like the middle-east. Possibly enough capacity for just about anything here in the states without the cover.

Plastic or aluminum shields would be reasonably easy to fabricate to replicate the area the LC covers.

I removed the big cover on the top of the engine. Not sure that it did anything but lose a pound off the nose

I used to do that to all my cars then realized the covers help keep dirt and mud off of expensive things.

Well for one thing, by removing the covers, you have one less thing to worry about when you piss onto the engine to cool it down. Less back splash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom