Engine Cover Chop on LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeCKis300

GOLD Star
Threads
I've been hesitant to cut the LX engine covers but I'm often changing or exchanging the air filters. Wanted to pull together a thread to see how people might be cutting them for best function vs aesthetics.

For those that may not know, it's pretty important to keep the section of the covers ahead of the radiator to manage airflow. For when at a stop or low speeds, the radiator fan is not circulating hot air from the engine bay and is pulling in cool air from ahead of the grill. At speed, to force cool air through the radiator rather than over it. Sure, people may say it's not a problem but some margin of cooling is surely lost, and it's not a problem, until it is.

I'm in the desert southwest and the amount of dirt and silt in the filter after a trip is absurd so I'm looking for better access to it. I usually keep a "street" and "offroad" filter, exchanging the offroad one prior to trips. I'll then pull it after a run to tap and blow out all the dirt, and exchange it back for my clean street filter. I'll use the offroad filter for a few trips before buying a new one.

Example cut that got me to do mine.
Blacked out most of the chrome, finished dual battery install, ARB compressor, SwitchPro installed, Method MR706 17’s with 285/70 Falken Wildpeak’s and Victory 4x4 roof rack w/ handles and side lights.

View attachment 3433163

View attachment 3433164

View attachment 3433165

View attachment 3433166

View attachment 3433167

Here's mine and I can reach the filter now. I'm thinking to cut a bit more but okay with it for now.
1696481228332.png

Look at Christos LX. Hi did a tidy job. I’ve been one of the jerks that removed all that since day one of ownership. No problems…yet

IMG_6563.png

Just remove them and/or cut them down to the LC version (or just swap out the LC versions). I really do not think the LX versions do anything more functional than the LC ones. If they had any meaningful impact on air flow Toyota would have put them on the LC too.

Just remove them and/or cut them down to the LC version (or just swap out the LC versions). I really do not think the LX versions do anything more functional than the LC ones. If they had any meaningful impact on air flow Toyota would have put them on the LC too.

I agree in principle but the design of the LX covers with some vent holes and aesthetic creases means it's hard to copy the LC covers exactly. We tried with my friend's 13 LX and got decent results, but not great. Still perfectly functional though.. which was the priority.

I've been hesitant to cut the LX engine covers but I'm often changing or exchanging the air filters. Wanted to pull together a thread to see how people might be cutting them for best function vs aesthetics.

For those that may not know, it's pretty important to keep the section of the covers ahead of the radiator to manage airflow. For when at a stop or low speeds, the radiator fan is not circulating hot air from the engine bay and is pulling in cool air from ahead of the grill. At speed, to force cool air through the radiator rather than over it. Sure, people may say it's not a problem but some margin of cooling is surely lost, and it's not a problem, until it is.

I'm in the desert southwest and the amount of dirt and silt in the filter after a trip is absurd so I'm looking for better access to it. I usually keep a "street" and "offroad" filter, exchanging the offroad one prior to trips. I'll then pull it after a run to tap and blow out all the dirt, and exchange it back for my clean street filter. I'll use the offroad filter for a few trips before buying a new one.

Example cut that got me to do mine.

Here's mine and I can reach the filter now. I'm thinking to cut a bit more but okay with it for now.
View attachment 3447701
I have the same feature under the hood of my LC… Tons of dust from Ocotillo/Anza lol

I haven't had clips in the outer 2 covers for several years. They are always in place when I open the hood. I see no need for me to cut them when I can just lift and slide over at any time.

The LX has larger covers for some added noise attenuation, but probably minor.

The LC and LX have different nose profiles so the LC covers won't swap over.
1696557299485.png

1696557310682.png

Cut mine purely for function. About 5 mins with a dremel. Didn't even bother to smooth out the cuts. I don't really care about how it looks or potential hit on resale value for a potential next owner. My reasons: easier access to air filter, easier access to battery terminals for my air compressor, and easier to visually inspect things when I pop the hood for any reason.

I also didn't notice any sound increase and my ears tend to be more sensitive than most.

IMG_2178.jpg

I broke or lost all the clips that secure the covers so can quickly pull them aside when I pop the hood. Have never had any issues with the covers shifting while the hood is closed/driving.

I removed mine years ago. It was just another place for rats and mice to hide.

Okay, tidied things up and I'm satisfied with this cut. I prefer things to look somewhat OEM where I can achieve that. Cut out the inner extensions closest to the engine cover. It leaves a tidy lip. Small taper cut nearest the airbox and battery. A multi-tool with a half-moon blade makes quick work of the rounded cuts. Happy.

1697221333468.png

1697221419720.png

Okay, tidied things up and I'm satisfied with this cut. I prefer things to look somewhat OEM where I can achieve that. Cut out the inner extensions closest to the engine cover. It leaves a tidy lip. Small taper cut nearest the airbox and battery. A multi-tool with a half-moon blade makes quick work of the rounded cuts. Happy.

View attachment 3454859

View attachment 3454860
I don't feel so bad about how dirty my engine bay is now ;)

I don't feel so bad about how dirty my engine bay is now ;)

Living it's best LX life, taking the scenic route to the mall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom