LX non nav conversion parts list discussion (2003-07) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, so the good news is that the LC 3 knob climate control does work in an 05 LX. Bad news, it doesn't fit.....I knew that going in and have some ideas on making this work. I'm just relieved that the electrical stuff works. First time I powered it on nothing worked and then I realized that the wire taps I used for testing this thing are complete s***. They don't actually pierce the wire so I had open everyone up and push the wire down with a screwdriver to make good contact. The only thing that still does not work is the rear climate button so I'll have to investigate that. But yeah, here it is. A working 3 knob in a 2005 LX View attachment 2634353
Very interested to see how this turns out. Any pictures of the backside of that assembly? I feel like the easiest way to get it to fit will be to trim it to fit between the two 2005 air vents pieces. Then make some metal brackets to hold the trimmed assembly at the right depth and securely. Then use bondo to try and smooth the transitions and match the contours. Nonetheless, well done!

Very interested to see how this turns out. Any pictures of the backside of that assembly? I feel like the easiest way to get it to fit will be to trim it to fit between the two 2005 air vents pieces. Then make some metal brackets to hold the trimmed assembly at the right depth and securely. Then use bondo to try and smooth the transitions and match the contours. Nonetheless, well done!
I do plan on putting the dremel to work on this thing but I'm waiting on some stereo bezels to come in first. I do want to keep the vents and and as much of the lower dash panels as possible. More to come and of course I'll document every step

So I ran into a problem with the 3 knob conversion. I can't get the A/C to turn on, when I first tested the unit it was cool out so the air felt cold and the switch seemed to work. I plugged it in yesterday to do some more testing and realized the compressor does not kick on. After much research it looks like the circuitry is very different between the 3 knob ac amp and the new. The 05 LX sends different signals to activate the compressor and I can't seem to match them up. I'll keep digging but looks like this might be a dead end

New forum member and new LX owner here. I would love to do conversion to non-nav. From what it looks like on this and the LC non-nav thread, sourcing all of the parts is damn near impossible and modifying other Toyota/Lexus parts has challenges. Is this conversion even possible any more? I don’t want to get my hopes up and begin planning a conversion if you all, having more experience with this, think it’s no longer possible. TIA

Making good progress....this may actually work!
20210414_135252.jpg

did you get the compressor signals all sorted?
I did! I found wiring diagrams in a 6k page shop manual for both A/C amplifiers. The 3 knob is simple, just one lead (MGC) sends signal directly to the magnetic clutch. The newer amplifier sends two signals (AC1) and (AC/S) to the ECM and then the ECM sends signal to the magnetic clutch. I ended up bypassing the ECM and just used the (MGC) lead to activate the compressor. So far so good

This is the 3 knob compressor circuit.

20210415_073130.jpg

This is the 05 LX diagram. I just tapped in the the (ACMG) lead at the ECM from 3 knob (MGC) wire.
20210415_073153.jpg

That's pretty genius. I guess they all have the AC signal that triggers the clutch off and pressure check, trinary switch, whatever that means.
So it should be fine it the clutch seized? I guess? maybe. haha
I think it's cool that you got it working.

That's pretty genius. I guess they all have the AC signal that triggers the clutch off and pressure check, trinary switch, whatever that means.
So it should be fine it the clutch seized? I guess? maybe. haha
I think it's cool that you got it working.
Thanks, it was a lucky find. So far everything seems to be working

Does anyone know where I could get the side adapters for a double din stereo, I ordered the panel with the oversized opening. Thanks!

Hi everyone -- thought I'd revive this old thread as I'm looking to make this mod myself. Since the LX has the auto air cycling feature, has this interfered with anyone switching over to the LC controls?

Also, any leads on the AC amplifier would be much appreciated :) 88650-60821

EDIT: Trying to catch back up on this thread... Looks like converting the LX way is virtually impossible now for my 2006 LX without going LC 100 way and magically locating some used stuff at that.... Sucks that so much of it is still available, but without the 1 or 2 pieces, there's no point. I'll prob keep trying for a few days and see if anything comes up, but it just might be installing a grom or some crap for me I guess.

Last edited:
EDIT: Trying to catch back up on this thread... Looks like converting the LX way is virtually impossible now for my 2006 LX without going LC 100 way and magically locating some used stuff at that.... Sucks that so much of it is still available, but without the 1 or 2 pieces, there's no point. I'll prob keep trying for a few days and see if anything comes up, but it just might be installing a grom or some crap for me I guess.
I was at this for a while recently... the "OEM Lexus" parts are no longer available. I'm going the LC route for my setup -- will end up losing my side view mirror defrost function but should be worth it in the grand scheme of things :)

Hi all, I realize the lx470 parts are no longer available, but the lc ones are. Im thinking of doing the lc swap but wondered if the genuine sahara woodgrain vents matched the lx470. If so I was thinking of trying to obtain them.

someone has posted pictures of the different wood
start reading from page six or post #112

Hi all, I realize the lx470 parts are no longer available, but the lc ones are. Im thinking of doing the lc swap but wondered if the genuine sahara woodgrain vents matched the lx470. If so I was thinking of trying to obtain them.
I posted the picture on page #4 Sandalwood , It's not a match
1646191185749.png

So I might be able to get the full sandalwood trim set including doors and shifter, vents, heater control unit, radio surround and clock (basically the whole centre section including brackets minus the doubledin radio) out of a sahara for 1000aud or 670usd, is this good value? Im thinking this is the next best option now the original parts are unavailable. I have tried to find the lexus parts secondhand but to no avail.

Last edited:
So I might be able to get the full sandalwood trim set, vents, heater control unit, radio surround and clock (basically the whole centre section including brackets minus the doubledin radio) out of a sahara for 1000aud or 670usd, is this good value? Im thinking this is the next best option now the original parts are unavailable. I have tried to find the lexus parts secondhand but to no avail.
I will take them if I were u

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom