LX Headlight Upgrade Database (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@DirtDawg kind of a curveball: New to me '02 LX. PO installed an "eBay special" and after owning the truck for three months one of the angel eyes and one of the sets of LED "side markers" have died...don't know when he installed them thus cannot comment on longevity.

Starting from a non-stock position, pursue replacement parts from Eagle Eye Lights? Start over with a new kit? Sad to find this awesome thread and realize I don't have the OEM gear to make use of it.

The manufacturer website is nonsense so I'm unsure what, if any, product support is to be expected.
Well there are a couple options you can take. Eagle eyes will not give/sell you any replacement parts and pretty much don't want anything to do with their headlights once they sell them. Crap company.

With that being said, how do the housings look?

Option 1: You can overhaul the current housings. New projectors (if better output is desired), new halos, new leds, all replaced with quality parts that you know won't fail. Heck if you're happy with their current output you wouldn't need to swap projectors at all, just open them up to fix/replace the accent lighting issues. Only problem with this is there will be some downtime where you won't have the headlights on the truck.

Option 2: Find a set of OEM light housings, swap in a better projector, and be happy. You won't have any downtime as you have a second set of lights, but then again this will probably be the most expensive option.

Option 3: Buy another set of eagle eyes. Not recommended.

Option 4: Just disconnect the wires running to the lights your having issues with on both sides. Now you'll be symmetrical, just not have the nice accent lighting.

There's a few questions I ask people when doing retrofits. How much are you willing/want to pay? What features are important to you? And are you willing to have a few days of downtime? If no a second set of lights are to be purchased.

Based on dirtdawg's suggestion and considerable research on the retrofit resource website I went with his option 3.

I found the TSX Projectors in mint condition for $100 on ebay

And got the D2S HID Kit, butyl glue and 80mm Rubber Caps from The Retrofit Source.

I also picked up some 80mm halos.

The retrofit guys were very helpful and the morimoto stuff seems to be VERY height quality.

Will advise when I put it in.

So am I right to assume the TSX projectors from TRS are OEM and new? How much of a risk is it to buy a used set off ebay without know specifically what to look at or ask about?

Thanks for consolidating this information, its much appreciated.

So am I right to assume the TSX projectors from TRS are OEM and new? How much of a risk is it to buy a used set off ebay without know specifically what to look at or ask about?

Not new, but they have been quality checked. The ones I received last week looked new.

As @bamabrock mentioned, the TRS projectors are QC checked to meet new OEM standards.

When buying a used set you want to look for heat damage or hazing on the reflector bowl, any physical damage to the housing, and clarity of the lens. All this can usually be seen in high resolution photos. When I say clarity of the lens, the stock TSX lens isn't 100% "clear". The glass is clear, but the lens actually has a spherical pattern on the flat side of the lense. I assume this is for light distribution, but just make sure the lense is clear beyond that.

I will throw my hat in, if someone here can build retrofit headlight set.
As discussed in the first post I do it as a side business. Shoot me a pm and we can discuss.

Well there are a couple options you can take. Eagle eyes will not give/sell you any replacement parts and pretty much don't want anything to do with their headlights once they sell them. Crap company.

With that being said, how do the housings look?

Option 1: You can overhaul the current housings. New projectors (if better output is desired), new halos, new leds, all replaced with quality parts that you know won't fail. Heck if you're happy with their current output you wouldn't need to swap projectors at all, just open them up to fix/replace the accent lighting issues. Only problem with this is there will be some downtime where you won't have the headlights on the truck.

Option 2: Find a set of OEM light housings, swap in a better projector, and be happy. You won't have any downtime as you have a second set of lights, but then again this will probably be the most expensive option.

Option 3: Buy another set of eagle eyes. Not recommended.

Option 4: Just disconnect the wires running to the lights your having issues with on both sides. Now you'll be symmetrical, just not have the nice accent lighting.

There's a few questions I ask people when doing retrofits. How much are you willing/want to pay? What features are important to you? And are you willing to have a few days of downtime? If no a second set of lights are to be purchased.

Gracias Senor Dawg. The housings appear to be in great shape. I don't think the expense of a whole new setup is in the cards ATM so Option 1 seems like the best bet. This may be a silly question, but if just take apart the existing Eagle Eyes housing can I follow your TSX/D2S recipe or am going to have to spec it out whole cloth? In the event I am starting from scratch is that something TRS can/will help me with?

When I first got the truck I was surprised by how dim and warm the lights were for a fairly built rig so this discussion is explaining a lot. Downtime isn't a major issue as I still haven't sold my Tacoma.

Is there any information on retrofitting bi-xenons into the low beam housings and just using the high beams as DRL/ auxiliary driving lights? Could a set of FX-R 3.0 be used? I think that would be a better way to maximize the use of the quad light setup but not sure how wiring would work.

Is there any information on retrofitting bi-xenons into the low beam housings and just using the high beams as DRL/ auxiliary driving lights? Could a set of FX-R 3.0 be used? I think that would be a better way to maximize the use of the quad light setup but not sure how wiring would work.
It could be possible, but why? My retrofitted low beams stay on when my brights come on, giving me way more light than any bixenon will ever output. Personally, I'm just never a fan of bixenons unless they have to be used. I've experienced selenoid issues with them, you don't get full foreground lighting when switched to the highs, like I said, just not a fan.

The fx-r 3.0 Could work if you got the 2.5" lens size, but I cannot speak for mounting or depth of the projector housing itself.

It could be possible, but why? My retrofitted low beams stay on when my brights come on, giving me way more light than any bixenon will ever output. Personally, I'm just never a fan of bixenons unless they have to be used. I've experienced selenoid issues with them, you don't get full foreground lighting when switched to the highs, like I said, just not a fan.

The fx-r 3.0 Could work if you got the 2.5" lens size, but I cannot speak for mounting or depth of the projector housing itself.

That's why I ask the experts. I wasn't aware of the quirks of retrofitting bi-xenons. I figured bi-xenon high in low beam housings + driving lights in high beam housings = maximum possible light output without adding additional lights. With regard to the standard retrofit, do the low beams stay on with the highs as part of the normal package or is that an extra mod?

That's why I ask the experts. I wasn't aware of the quirks of retrofitting bi-xenons. I figured bi-xenon high in low beam housings + driving lights in high beam housings = maximum possible light output without adding additional lights. With regard to the standard retrofit, do the low beams stay on with the highs as part of the normal package or is that an extra mod?
Bixenons work where it uses the same bulb, then uses a magnetic selenoid to move the cutoff shield so that the upper part of the beam can be utilized. I have had several of retrofits I've had to "warranty" because of the selenoid not working 100% of the time. You still maintain a pretty "full" low beam, but on bixenon kits I've always found the high beams to be kinda iffy.

I personally just believe a devoted high beam is always better. If you have a good projector retrofit in your low beams and an HID bulb kit in your high beams you won't need any additional lights, it's simply amazing how far you will be able to throw your lights. The only additional lights I will add to my cruiser is a high-quality pair of LED Fog Lights (for obvious reasons), and a set of ARB Intensity look-alikes (simply for the cool factor, I don't believe I will gain much additional usable light from them).

In the LX, the standard light setup is low beams stay on with the highs, no modification required. I don't think there were any discrepancies between the years.

@DirtDawg which fog lights did you go with?
Haven't really decided yet... I think I'll make a gamtime decision once I decide what bumper I end up going with. Right now it's between these two choices:

Morimoto universal LED Fog (or another set of their fogs depending on what shape I want)
Universal: Morimoto XB LED Fogs - Complete Housings from The Retrofit Source

Or these Rigid single Row fogs (if I need something more slim)
SR-Series SAE 6" Fog Light Surface White | Rigid Industries

Both sets are SAE compliant so completely legal for road use.

Haven't really decided yet... I think I'll make a gamtime decision once I decide what bumper I end up going with. Right now it's between these two choices:

Morimoto universal LED Fog (or another set of their fogs depending on what shape I want)
Universal: Morimoto XB LED Fogs - Complete Housings from The Retrofit Source

Or these Rigid single Row fogs (if I need something more slim)
SR-Series SAE 6" Fog Light Surface White | Rigid Industries

Both sets are SAE compliant so completely legal for road use.

Good options. I like my fog light HID kit but I want to see if there's a better options available.

Kind of funny, I just recently purchased a 2009 TSX, and was blown away by how well I can see at night with its HIDs. Hopped in my 2000 LX one evening and thought "these lights suck", then remembered seeing a thread on mud about this. Now an upgrade is on my to do list.

I did a retrofit with modded TL bixenons w/osram nightbreakers on my old daily driver(Honda Fit Sport 5spd) and felt that it was the best mod I did to any of my vehicles. I'm preparing to do a retrofit on my LX as soon as I decide to use the RX330 AFS or the SC430s.

Alright guys I need some ideas for my high beams. So far here are the different options I'm considering:

1. Bi-xenon retrofit into the high beam location. Use the lows as a quad setup and then bixenon as high beam.
2. Run another HID projector and cut the shield out. Use as high beam only. (concern is constant on/off of the HID bulb and burning it up)
3. HID PNP into stock halogen projector (probably won't give me the distance I want)
4. LED bar (spot pattern) to supplement stock high beams (42-50" in front of the first roof rack cross bar)

My low beam retrofit with the Acura TSX projectors and HIDs provide a TON of light currently but I'm really looking to throw light further which makes me think either a bi-xenon or light bar may be my best bets.

I've considered driving lights but I really don't like the look of them on a stock bumper and I don't plan on buying a front bumper in the near future. I may upgrade to driving lights when I do get a bumper though.

Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? I'm open to ideas

Thanks for putting all this info in one place, DirtDawg! Going to order all this stuff this week.

Are you all using the 55W or 35W ballasts? I'm thinking 35W would be fine, as I don't want to be replacing ballasts every few years, but I'm curious what the general consensus is.

Which wiring harness are you all using for a 2000 LX470, Canbus or HD relay? I like how the canbus looks cleaner and simpler to install. Any reason to use the HD relay over the canbus?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom