Builds Lumpskie's Diesel 80 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I went wheeling with Exploring NH last weekend. My buddy Adam came out from NY and I spent more time taking photos than driving. We started around noon and I quit around 8pm. The remaining group wheeled until 1am... I am just too tired for that business anymore.

I didn't get any photos early on... but grabbed some late in the day. I made chicken vindaloo for dinner...

mXun7nHh.jpg

Bridge was getting a little soft...

YcRMpo0h.jpg

STqm8W8h.jpg

Jeeps climbing just after the bridge

79GUZIUh.jpg

Obligatory Cruiser shots.

aX1o5L8h.jpg

XK5C0yRh.jpg

QkkS9o6h.jpg

I guy in a 5th gen 4 runner on just a couple inches of lift and 32s wheeled with us. That thing did surprisingly well, taking the easier lines. His skids are now well broken in, haha.
EcuHlC7h.jpg

Random shots
86YlJObh.jpg

GYXaRcBh.jpg

LCX9Ii2h.jpg

Pulling winch line
PYO9r05h.jpg

Lots of these shots were at late dusk... it was darker than the photos make it seem...

XkJ2Ujih.jpg

dHEeEfzh.jpg

xfunMuzh.jpg

n3wJMeLh.jpg

I took the wrong line through this water crossing... my headlights went underwater and it got really dark for a second there!
nEAKDQwh.jpg

Warp speed!
P5jjdWKh.jpg

Finally... airing up in the woods... (The woods are so dark out here)
OtVPlTih.jpg

That area looks familiar

bridge.jpg

water.jpg

That's the spot! Unfortunately, my buddy in his portly Sequoia just fell through the end of that little bridge. I'm thinking about putting together a little bridge rebuild expedition sometime here, if you're interested.

Let me know if you do. I would probably ride up with one of my friends. I take the LC off the road in the winter. I don't want it to see salt.

A friend randomly told me that we should drive to Tierra Del Fuego. I am actually considering it. Wife and kids want to go... I wonder if trying to drive the 80 is a crazy idea...

Would cost twice as much as flying but otherwise I think it's an awesome idea! 😃 💡
Don't underestimate me... I can probably get it to cost at least 5 times as much as flying... and make it a lot less enjoyable too!

In all honesty, I am thinking of trying to stay in hotels as much as possible, rather than camping the entire trip. But, I'd still probably end up with a RTT for those nights where we couldn't find the right hotel or we find just the right place to camp. I think I'd definitely want to do a bunch of maintenance on the Cruiser before trying something like this, though. I'm not exactly sure what all that maintenance will be. So, I'll be reaching out to Onur to put a tentative plan together.

A friend randomly told me that we should drive to Tierra Del Fuego. I am actually considering it. Wife and kids want to go... I wonder if trying to drive the 80 is a crazy
Sounds like a great idea to me. But first I want to drive up to The Arctic Ocean.

Sounds like a great idea to me. But first I want to drive up to The Arctic Ocean.
I've always want to go north too. But, seeing the Amazon rainforest and the Andes mtns has also been on my list. Really need to figure out the load out We'd use... seems like We'd fill the Cruiser to it's gills in my mind.

So it's decided. You're going!! Nice!

I'm definitely tuned in for the build up and the adventure..

Actually pre travel maintenance is something I'm particularly interested in since I'm thinking about heading west within the next couple of summers. I've done a ton of work to mine but still not sure what to focus on for long trips. Also I realize we are apples and oranges since we are gas and diesel.

Either way. Good luck and I'm rooting for you!

Don't underestimate me... I can probably get it to cost at least 5 times as much as flying... and make it a lot less enjoyable too!

In all honesty, I am thinking of trying to stay in hotels as much as possible, rather than camping the entire trip. But, I'd still probably end up with a RTT for those nights where we couldn't find the right hotel or we find just the right place to camp. I think I'd definitely want to do a bunch of maintenance on the Cruiser before trying something like this, though. I'm not exactly sure what all that maintenance will be. So, I'll be reaching out to Onur to put a tentative plan together.
How is you Spanish ?

How is you Spanish ?

Probably terrible. The last time I used any Spanish was 10 years ago. At the time, it was sufficient to get me by in Costa Rica and Panama. I was able to successfully file a police report, though I think there were a lot of details lost in translation.

A friend randomly told me that we should drive to Tierra Del Fuego. I am actually considering it. Wife and kids want to go... I wonder if trying to drive the 80 is a crazy idea...
That sounds great, 80 would be great for such a trip. Do you know how is it actually with the carnet de passage for the customs? I think that some of the countries would require that and I don't have any idea who in the US would be issuing the carnet.

That sounds great, 80 would be great for such a trip. Do you know how is it actually with the carnet de passage for the customs? I think that some of the countries would require that and I don't have any idea who in the US would be issuing the carnet.
That's a great question. I was thinking I could get a temporary vehicle import permit for each country along the route... do you think that is a possibility? I also wonder if I'll need an international driver's license. I might have to swing by expedition portal and start researching. (anyone who has information, please feel free to post over here to help!)

That's a great question. I was thinking I could get a temporary vehicle import permit for each country along the route... do you think that is a possibility? I also wonder if I'll need an international driver's license. I might have to swing by expedition portal and start researching. (anyone who has information, please feel free to post over here to help!)
For sure others traveling in South America would chime in, I would like to know what is the best option for the carnet having the US plates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom