Builds Lumpskie's Diesel 80 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That color on the bumper looks great!

Thanks. I want to get some decent pics of the color but I can't find a day where my rig is clean and its sunny at the same time!

So, my boy is 6. For a year, he has told me that he wanted to drive a rock crawler so he could run trails with me in the Cruiser. I couldn't find a ready made rock crawling ride-on vehicle. So, I bought him a little 4 wheeler to get him started. (I ended up buying one for myself too... to keep an eye on him... and be responsible...)

Anyway, he has finally started tackling some rocky trails on his little 2wd 4 wheeler. So I figured I'd share the dad pride here.

Well, yesterday was a mixed day for the old Cruiser. I was excited in the morning... it was time to drop it off at the upholstery shop to replace my front seat leather, cushions and install seat heaters/coolers:

OOp08tVh.jpg

4UHeCYZh.jpg

mv21mtAh.jpg

On the way to the shop, I rear ended a Subaru. (he started across an intersection then hit his brakes. I didn't react in time) Even though the impact was around 5mph... I obliterated him.

wGNKvgph.jpg

Fortunately, I couldn't find any damage on the Cruiser:

ka1lVGTh.jpg

Other than massive scratching on my (brand new) powdercoat. Bummed. That powdercoat looked so good. I may just have it stripped and redone.

nK5Xi5Gh.jpg

I am amazed that all my lights and body panels seem to be totally unscathed. I drove the Cruiser the rest of the way to the upholsterers and it drove fine on the highway too. So that's blessing. I'm heading out on a trip to visit family today. I'll deal with this stuff when I get home.

“Live Free or Die” they couldn’t have been anymore clear. 👍🏼🇺🇸

No way man have the person you crunched sign it with a paint pen. Or put a Subaru sticker on there. That's street cred! Glad to hear no one was injured.

Wow! That car is totaled, most likely. A great reason to have metal bumpers like that, which makes me look forward to the 4x4 Labs front and rear I ordered. Whoever tries to cut in front of my path will be sorry.

My 80 has that new leather smell now! Turner's Upholstery in Rye NH did the work and I think it turned out really well.

HbdwuYTh.jpg

PhYoFP4h.jpg

Perforated leather in the center:
JhvJSvWh.jpg

Seat heater/cooler controls:
BACD3tGh.jpg

Center console:
HsxuDq1h.jpg

Adjustment Controls area:
I13E8Umh.jpg

I redid the arm rest but not the leather on the door card. The shop said that replacement would require tear off and reglue which may end up with a lower quality product. I think the old leather matches with the new well enough to be fine:

The only nitpick is on the driver's side seat. I would have preferred if they installed the ducting a little more forward. Right now, I can feel it right in the seat of my pants... and I kind of crush the reticulated foam. I am going to talk with Turner's about trimming the ducting so that the foam can collapse more without me feeling the ducting. Steve Turner mentioned that such an approach may be possible.

@FJ60Cam I think you mentioned something like this in the past... is that right?

My 80 has that new leather smell now! Turner's Upholstery in Rye NH did the work and I think it turned out really well.

HbdwuYTh.jpg

PhYoFP4h.jpg

Perforated leather in the center:
JhvJSvWh.jpg

Seat heater/cooler controls:
BACD3tGh.jpg

Center console:
HsxuDq1h.jpg

Adjustment Controls area:
I13E8Umh.jpg

I redid the arm rest but not the leather on the door card. The shop said that replacement would require tear off and reglue which may end up with a lower quality product. I think the old leather matches with the new well enough to be fine:

The only nitpick is on the driver's side seat. I would have preferred if they installed the ducting a little more forward. Right now, I can feel it right in the seat of my pants... and I kind of crush the reticulated foam. I am going to talk with Turner's about trimming the ducting so that the foam can collapse more without me feeling the ducting. Steve Turner mentioned that such an approach may be possible.

@FJ60Cam I think you mentioned something like this in the past... is that right?
Looks fantastic. Enjoy!

Looks better than new. That would not be a good investment into a Landcruiser that I own. Haha

I've got a new set of leathers for my truck, what did they charge?
Hey Rick,

It's really hard to compare cost to a standard job since I did new foams, the heater/cooler as well as wiring as part of the job. They charge $100 an hour ... so they aren't cheap. But the upholstery work is top notch.

For those who are curious... here's how the seat heater/cooler fits under and inside the seat (back).

HcFWxjvh.jpg

3TOu8Znh.jpg

We went on a classic weekend (and somewhat touristy) trip on a whim. On Saturday morning, we decided to pack up the Cruiser and head north. Our final intended destination was Mt. Washington but we wanted to leave time to stop and see whatever interesting sights we encountered along the way. The plan was to head north on I93 and travel through the White Mountains. On our way north, we saw the turn off for highway 3, which led into Franconia. I have always wanted to see Flume Gorge, but haven't made the effort in the past 5 years. So, we decided to make the stop. Times are strange when you have to register for a short hike online... but that's what we had to do to see the gorge. Luckily, there were plenty of spots available within the next hour.

Almost the entire hike follows along the route of a creek that runs up the canyon. Before entering the canyon, there are places to stop and play in the water:
dqF8fIMh.jpg

rYEpoUZh.jpg

After a short distance, the trail narrows and the walls of the canyon become apparent. The trail transitions from dirt to wood plank walkways:
k3NaEDQh.jpg

The environment is really interesting, once you enter the canyon. It reminds me of slot canyons out west... but with waterfalls and lots of greenery.

IaF0nsSh.jpg

VglmYIMh.jpg

EoIMrd3h.jpg

The trail traversed from the bottom to the top of the canyon. So there were about 150 steps to climb as you explored... which the kids loved.

tYpH89Rh.jpg

lx9gDMUh.jpg

The canyon also narrowed as you climbed and there were a number of waterfalls along the way.

yaBmtEbh.jpg

1UAXhEth.jpg

GcIUyjch.jpg

There were a couple small caves to explore and good views at the top:
I892tWph.jpg

On the short decent, the highlight of the trip was a neat covered bridge built in 1939:

ngFd4n4h.jpg

YuJE8J2h.jpg

After the hike, we continued on our way. We had decided to keep some emergency gear in the rig, so we decided to go to Bethlehem NH and get a hotel to stay the night. We found a pet friendly hotel. The pets were friendly and Nutnut made a friend off the back porch

yhBiCwNh.jpg

The view was great too
fRxJdj8h.jpg

The next day, we had an awesome breakfast and hit the road towards Mt Washington. We traveled in from the north and hit the base of the mountain by 10am. We paid the fee (wow... not cheap) and started our drive up the mountain. I took lots of pictures on the way up. The views were awesome.

EV6u32Xh.jpg

Last time I drove this road, I didn't have an intercooler and I had to pull over to allow the rig to cool. (EGTs became unmanageable and were over 1200 degrees in all gears) This time around, I had a new turbo as well as the intercooler on my side. EGT's hovered around 1050 and I could climb in 2nd gear comfortably. On some steep sections, I did get higher EGTs but this trip was relaxed where last one was a little nerve racking. So, I enjoyed it more.

Bc9YfTDh.jpg

RdAhoxXh.jpg

At the summit, we saw one of the old steam locomotives. It was cool seeing the gear reduction included on it. Also, it was neat to see how it was built at an angle to suit constant operation on a steep grade.
ldLGtXEh.jpg

We explored the weather station. I was a little bummed that the summit building had been torn down and an new one was being built. That building was really cool because it's roof was chained to the ground. Also, the historic tip top house was under renovation, so we couldn't explore in there. Oh well... it was still really cool. We were lucky to have a rare clear day... especially given the flooding down south where we live.

edQh7KUh.jpg

ivOZmYMh.jpg

DLoYN5Uh.jpg

gGbovK0h.jpg

EnaU0a3h.jpg

We watched the locomotive steam down the hill:
QG7sg2Ih.jpg

Then we followed:
YtjeLFsh.jpg

After that, we hit the road for the long drive home.

I got to meet a really cool mud member this last weekend... (@Onur ) He was kind enough to waste an hour or two hanging out with me and talking Cruisers. Was a lot of fun.

F8anJ9Zh.jpg

Our 2 rigs together.

GETrKsFh.jpg

Random summer pics...

Huge amount of rain in July here... over 20 inches! Dock was under water for a bit:

ENyweBbh.jpg

XXhz4ojh.jpg

Sunset at the cabin:

cYuNzkOh.jpg

Tkrk6sph.jpg

Make fun of me... but I have been using lantern light in the evenings, just because I like the light.

xT1IGzah.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom