Luigi (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've never pulled one from a 40, but in a 60 using the hooks with head attached and a leveler on the hoist helped a lot with adjustable tilting to allow the tcase to clear the chassis at various points.

Torin Big Red engine hoist is in the garage, though will probably not take out the entire engine for the trans. Will likely drop the trans / t-case from the interior lowering with the hoist, and will pull the head separately to send down to the machine shop. Just don't have anywhere to put the engine while it's out, and don't trust my small-ish engine stand to hold the block while I take off the head.

Something about buying an engine hoist is just next-level in terms of capabilities and commitment. :)

3dc83c270a564b0d9a748e9f1dd199fb.jpg

Last edited:
Holy silicone overkill, Batman!

It still leaked oil.

View attachment 3089154

Probably over-torqued. The torque spec for those cork gaskets (from the 3FE factory service manual) is in inch-pounds, and if you over-do it, the cork will just squeeze out.

Probably over-torqued. The torque spec for those cork gaskets (from the 3FE factory service manual) is in inch-pounds, and if you over-do it, the cork will just squeeze out.
Most likely. Any time I've dealt with a cork gasket, it's always minimal torque for this exact reason. Note I haven't had oil leaks on the timing cover gasket that I replaced, which is also cork. I think I just used some Gasgacinch to keep it in place, and some RTV on the lower bolts to make sure those didn't leak. Of course this was after dimpling the cover to bend it back into the proper shape.

The pushrod cover has the same issue, too much torque deformed some of the holes. Will break out the hammer and make it right, and clean up this mess before reinstalling. Oil pan is coming off too, plenty of orange oozing out of the seams on that one.

Yes, that "oil and stuff" smell is a good one, one that could bring a smile to his face the rest his life....as i sit here remembering my grandfather's garage.....

Head is off and down to Martin Davidson for a refresh. Hauled the head, rocker assembly, pushrods / lifters, and intake / exhaust down for a spa day. Lifters and pushrods were checked by the machinist and given a clean bill of health. No obvious signs of a HG failure, but there was some blueing around the block deck of cylinder 4, which might explain the lower compression there, not sure.

IMG_3833.jpeg

Cylinder walls all look mostly good, with a few minor discolorations from having sat around 20 years. I do think however that this engine was either rebuilt or not original to the rig, maybe someone can chime in on these domed pistons and if they are oversized and hi-perf (ha). There was also one of those little "warranty void if removed" doodads on one of the freeze plugs in the block, which came off as soon as I tried to wipe off some dirt to try and read it. Guess the warranty is void now!

IMG_3834.jpeg

IMG_3835.jpeg

As soon as I saw the brick red paint under your side cover, I figured it was a rebuild: that's not stock.

Oh, by the way, I had a chance to swing by the muffler shop I recommended to you, the one that Larry, who I’ve known since 1987 apparently retired from. There’s a sign out front saying “muffler mechanic wanted”. Literally, not a good sign. It also looks like the new owner is hedging his bets by using the place for long-term storage.

Its a touch of irony for me: Larry was the same age as me, and his business was as much a part of him as mine is to me. Perhaps even more so. He and his father literally built that block wall building. In the early days, he had pictures of the construction. Back when he had hair!😛

End of an era. Another one passed here too. My oldest neighbor, the only one who was here when I came, has passed. I am now the oldest person in this neighborhood.

Last edited:
As soon as I saw the brick red paint under your side cover, I figured it was a rebuild: that's not stock.

Oh, by the way, I had a chance to swing by the muffler shop I recommended to you, the one that Larry, who I’ve known since 1987 apparently retired from. There’s a sign out front saying “muffler mechanic wanted”. Literally, not a good sign. It also looks like the new owner is hedging his bets by using the place for long-term storage.

Its a touch of irony for me: Larry was the same age as me, and his business was as much a part of him as mine is to me. Perhaps even more so. He and his father literally built that block wall building. In the early days, he had pictures of the construction. Back when he had hair!😛

End of an era. Another one passed here too. My oldest neighbor, the only one who was here when I came, has passed. I am now the oldest person in this neighborhood.
The red paint, copious amounts of silicone, the little tag all kind of point to a rebuild. I have no way of knowing how long ago this was done, but will clean it up and send it, for now. If something goes sideways, well, I fortunately have the luxury of dealing with it at that time. This is not a garage queen by any stretch. You’ve seen my seats and lack of headliner!

As for the muffler shop, it is certainly not a good sign. I’m a little disappointed that I wasn’t able to have Larry work on my truck, but that is a selfish thought, in some ways. We were always better looking back in the day, for sure, and hopefully he is enjoying a well-earned retirement! The gentleman I talked to there didn’t really know much about Larry’s current circumstance and didn’t really know much about an “FJ40”. May be that they are just getting by. Hopefully, they make it.

But I compare this to the experience I had this afternoon with Kyle, the machinist. He took the time to go over what he thinks the head might need, and when he thinks he’ll be able to get to it. He was patient in hearing about the circumstances of the overheat and asked thoughtful questions about my objectives with the engine and the rig. He was honest about potential cost and what he needed from me. Quiet but firm competence always earns my trust and my custom. Every time.

(It may be just a sophomoric literary coincidence that his shop is on Gault St. But I digress.)

I greatly appreciate all that you and others do for our community, and the professionalism and generosity you practice on a daily basis. I believe while it’s becoming more difficult, it is not necessarily impossible, to find those who take pride in what they do and leave a legacy in their work. At least to me, participating in this sense of community is as much a part of LC ownership as fixing the HG, or that oil leak, or working on one thing or another. We repair, we learn, we build, we maintain, we remember and honor how things were, and how things still can be.

A lot of people don’t stop to think and check, and disassemble a head with an air impact. Use a torque wrench on the head bolts when you take it apart, and pay particular attention to that ONE HEAD BOLT IN THE MIDDLE…between 3&4.
I forgot to mention - that bolt had lost torque, as predicted. I don’t know how much exactly, but that one and the ones behind it on the passenger side were all lower torque than the rest. Probably, 20% less effort than the rest of the bolts to remove.

- was there a gasket of any kind on the side valve cover , that someone used the incorrect
part # 00295-01281 FIPG trans-axle non-Harding OARNGE sealant on ?

- contact fellow member @Yotajeff , he is local to you i think , and might be able to locate or actually have that FREDDY-KRUGER-FUNACE California spec. exhaust manifold you now need that has been previously repaired incorrectly already once ..........

-

- was there a gasket of any kind on the side valve cover , that someone used the incorrect part # 00295-01281 FIPG trans-axle non-Harding OARNGE sealant on ?

- contact fellow member @Yotajeff , he is local to you i think , and might be able to locate or actually have that FREDDY-KRUGER-FUNACE California spec. exhaust manifold you now need that has been previously repaired incorrectly already once ..........

-
There was a very crusty cork gasket on the side cover, encased in silicone, though the panel itself was over-torqued to the point where some of the holes were drawn out beyond the plane of the cover, causing it to “pucker” out a bit and cause a leak. I’ll correct this before reinstalling and have a new cork gasket to go on there when all is complete.

The Furnace CA spec manifold to be replaced by a ‘77 FED-spec manifold. I have the new J-pipe and all other parts ready to install at the proper time. Cracked CA manifold is currently occupying shelf space in the garage. It may make cool yard sculpture?

i thought you need to comply with CA. Spec. destination market specific freddy-kruger type exhaust manifold / topic ?

i thought you need to comply with CA. Spec. destination market specific freddy-kruger type exhaust manifold / topic ?
I had a whole conversation with the smog referee about this and he cleared it with an email, so running with it. There’s been a few threads on this subject. But for those who may come across this later, ymmv.

I had a whole conversation with the smog referee about this and he cleared it with an email, so running with it. There’s been a few threads on this subject. But for those who may come across this later, ymmv.
Do you have to change/modify your CA carb if you put Federal manifolds? I vaguely remember reading that in the posts but I’d be curious to know for sure.

My CA exhaust manifold was cracked too. I found another one with a broken fixable tab but I am still far from that parts of my build so I’ll find out later. Looks like welding these things is a hit or miss.

Are you still taking the engine out? I also took the transmission off first, then lifted the engine with straps around the front and back of the engine. The back was in front of the bellhousing so it wasn’t moving, but I had to secure the front strap so it wouldn’t move. I don’t think I would do it that way again, I have since bought original hooks. That engine is very tall and weighs a lot so doing it properly is what I’d do next time.

Do you have to change/modify your CA carb if you put Federal manifolds? I vaguely remember reading that in the posts but I’d be curious to know for sure.

My CA exhaust manifold was cracked too. I found another one with a broken fixable tab but I am still far from that parts of my build so I’ll find out later. Looks like welding these things is a hit or miss.

Are you still taking the engine out? I also took the transmission off first, then lifted the engine with straps around the front and back of the engine. The back was in front of the bellhousing so it wasn’t moving, but I had to secure the front strap so it wouldn’t move. I don’t think I would do it that way again, I have since bought original hooks. That engine is very tall and weighs a lot so doing it properly is what I’d do next time.
No modifications to the carb as far as I know. The intake that came with the Fed manifold was the same part number as the one I pulled off the truck. The crack in mine looks ridiculous. I may haul it down to the machinist to see if he has any idea if it can be fixed, but for now it will adorn a shelf in my garage.

I’m refraining from taking the engine out, as I know myself - once that’s out, I head down a much deeper rabbit hole and I like the truck as it is.

I’m in the middle of dropping the trans with the engine hoist through the trans hump. I had a little adventure using the 3rd gen as a tug to pull the LC a few feet up my driveway, then stopping so that it could roll backwards down into the garage. The garage is full of the front seats and trans hump cover right now, hope to have the trans / transfer case out by this afternoon so I can pull the flywheel and clutch, and get going on that RMS and output shaft seal on the trans.

FA8AAE69-FB54-4B37-8AAE-65C7FC0F20DF.jpeg

E2F440F3-C984-4EDB-A6CD-9CBEE3ECC1FF.jpeg

The red paint, copious amounts of silicone, the little tag all kind of point to a rebuild. I have no way of knowing how long ago this was done, but will clean it up and send it, for now. If something goes sideways, well, I fortunately have the luxury of dealing with it at that time. This is not a garage queen by any stretch. You’ve seen my seats and lack of headliner!

As for the muffler shop, it is certainly not a good sign. I’m a little disappointed that I wasn’t able to have Larry work on my truck, but that is a selfish thought, in some ways. We were always better looking back in the day, for sure, and hopefully he is enjoying a well-earned retirement! The gentleman I talked to there didn’t really know much about Larry’s current circumstance and didn’t really know much about an “FJ40”. May be that they are just getting by. Hopefully, they make it.

But I compare this to the experience I had this afternoon with Kyle, the machinist. He took the time to go over what he thinks the head might need, and when he thinks he’ll be able to get to it. He was patient in hearing about the circumstances of the overheat and asked thoughtful questions about my objectives with the engine and the rig. He was honest about potential cost and what he needed from me. Quiet but firm competence always earns my trust and my custom. Every time.

(It may be just a sophomoric literary coincidence that his shop is on Gault St. But I digress.)

I greatly appreciate all that you and others do for our community, and the professionalism and generosity you practice on a daily basis. I believe while it’s becoming more difficult, it is not necessarily impossible, to find those who take pride in what they do and leave a legacy in their work. At least to me, participating in this sense of community is as much a part of LC ownership as fixing the HG, or that oil leak, or working on one thing or another. We repair, we learn, we build, we maintain, we remember and honor how things were, and how things still can be.
That last paragraph REALLY describes Larry. The first time he put my truck in the rack, he noticed three things that were out of order. Next thing I knew, he fixed them!😊
He grew up in that community, and nurtured it as partly his. I often made a point of stopping by even if I didn’t need anything, just because by my weird standards, it was a cool place to hang out.
Sometimes an old person from the’hood’ would drive in with a broken exhaust that really needed to be replaced, and he’d patch the old one up and charge them 15-20 dollars, knowing that’s what they could afford.
Similarly, I think I shared with you over your engine bay a few weeks ago how many times I’ve tweaked something for a customer for the price of a hamburger. 😉

Getting back to tech, I am glad my hunch about your head bolts was correct. It greatly improves the odds that your repair will hold.

I have hunches about people too.😉

Last edited:
Older stepped flywheel and 3 finger pressure plate. Not necessarily an issue, but certainly a potential source of annoyance when you go to order a ‘stock’ clutch for your year and discover nothing fits.

Older stepped flywheel and 3 finger pressure plate. Not necessarily an issue, but certainly a potential source of annoyance when you go to order a ‘stock’ clutch for your year and discover nothing fits.
This exact thing happened today. I’d ordered the Aisin kit a while ago, open the box and nothing fits. Great. Good news is that the clutch that was on there looked pretty fresh, and the one I bought will fit on the 3-finger plate and stepped flywheel. However, the stepped flywheel has some grooving and minor cracking, which with some machining may come out. I’ll look for a later flywheel and see how much that is. I’d kind of prefer that, so I can just use the kit I have.

CB5314AA-FB1C-47F6-A5A0-302923CBA7D3.jpeg

Flywheel.

FE46B019-EDC7-47BF-83C5-CD3D110A2284.jpeg

This was machined, maybe not recently but doesn’t look like it has that many miles on it. Will do some research.

9B4D6856-EA6D-4555-9195-BA158F0A7E46.jpeg

And a look at the RMS, cam plug, etc. The cam plug has some RTV on it, while the RMS looks relatively fresh. I have a new one so will probably swap it out just because I’m here. I cleaned this all up and am leaving it overnight to see if I can get a sense of where the leak is from. The leading candidate at the moment is either the oil pan arch, or actually the side cover. The passenger lower corner was really leaky, and it wouldn’t surprise me if it was just dripping down into the timing window and down that side of the lower block.

68E7A614-4316-4EE8-ACFF-092510171788.jpeg

Trans / transfer case are hanging from the hoist outside, after a solid two hours of degreasing and scraping off old tarry junk. It’s not perfect, but better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom