Low brake fluid level (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just a couple months ago i replaced the master cylinder and installed slee stainless lines to try to fix a spongy brake pedal. Replacing all that stuff didn't seem to fix the problem.

At any rate, a couple days ago my brake light came on. Low and behold my brake fluid level went down below the min line. It was slightly above the max line when I bled the system after installing the new MC. Any ideas where that much fluid would have gone? I don't see any leaks or stains on my garage floor.

Just a couple months ago i replaced the master cylinder and installed slee stainless lines to try to fix a spongy brake pedal. Replacing all that stuff didn't seem to fix the problem.

At any rate, a couple days ago my brake light came on. Low and behold my brake fluid level went down below the min line. It was slightly above the max line when I bled the system after installing the new MC. Any ideas where that much fluid would have gone? I don't see any leaks or stains on my garage floor.

Well, obviously you have a leak somewhere ;)
I would start by pulling the wheels and checking the rotors/calipers for any sign of leakage.
Next maybe follow the lines from the MC to their destinations and see if they're any signs of leakage.
Could be leaking back into the booster, though that's pretty unlikely.
FWIW, their is no need to switch to stainless lines. They won't help anything, assuming the regular rubber lines are ok.
Modern day rubber lines simple don't "expand" under anywhere near pressures that we see in our braking systems. That's simply and old myth, with basis though, from many, many years ago.

:)
Fred

Well, obviously you have a leak somewhere ;)
I would start by pulling the wheels and checking the rotors/calipers for any sign of leakage.
Next maybe follow the lines from the MC to their destinations and see if they're any signs of leakage.
Could be leaking back into the booster, though that's pretty unlikely.
FWIW, their is no need to switch to stainless lines. They won't help anything, assuming the regular rubber lines are ok.
Modern day rubber lines simple don't "expand" under anywhere near pressures that we see in our braking systems. That's simply and old myth, with basis though, from many, many years ago.

Fred

I'll have to go and check all the fittings that i messed with.. No drips made it to the ground. Stainless steel were also needed because i do have a 6 inch lift, and there was the slight chance it may have helped..

I had a similar situation where fluid was leaving the system but not showing up any place that was noticable. Mine ended up being at the connection of the brake line to one of the rear calipers. The threads inside the caliper casting were stripped. There was significant gunk caked to caliper and severe pitting on the rotor. CDan sent me a new caliper, brake line and bango fitting bolt. It has been a few months now and the fluid level hasn't changed. Good luck in finding your leak. :beer:

I'll have to go and check all the fittings that i messed with.. No drips made it to the ground. Stainless steel were also needed because i do have a 6 inch lift, and there was the slight chance it may have helped..

Hopefully you'll find it if you poke around some.

Regarding the stainless steel lines, there is no chance that they'll improve anything over the regular rubber lines, assuming, of course, that the rubber lines are ok. Stainless compared to rubber, no difference. There is no stretch of the rubber lines under any pressure that our braking systems can apply.

Fred

check your pads all around. When my fluid drops to the point were the light comes on I need a set of pads somewhere. These trucks can go through a front set as early as 15,000 miles. Leaks in these systems aren't usual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom