Yet another oil level thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ozarkmud

SILVER Star
Threads
1FZ has been flashing the oil light intermittently.

After it first started, I checked the oil level. I believe it was cold after sitting for a day or so. Oil level was completely full, maybe over full slightly.

More oil light flashing goes by...

Couple hundred miles later, I check and nothing is on the stick. Light seems to stay on more often. Engine is warm. Very puzzling.

It sounds like the correct procedure is to warm it up, then check the level after it's stopped for a few minutes. In cold weather, say around freezing, does the dipstick tube hold onto excess oil? For an oil change, how do I know I've put enough oil in?

Is it possible that it's weather related, or something might be wrong with the motor? Motor itself sounds fine, just not sure if there's any bizarre condition where you can go from over full to dry so easily.

Related: Dipstick oil level readings. WTF?? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/dipstick-oil-level-readings-wtf.463172/

Thanks!

Is this the oil level low or the oil pressure light ?

if its the level sensor its supposed to come on when your around a quart low, if its the pressure light, it does not mean your low on oil it means you dont have oil pressure. Could be a sensor going out or a wiring harness issue,

Likely you're not checking the oil level using the exact same process every time.

Engine should be completely warmed up, say after 15-20 minutes driving, park on a level surface, turn engine off, wait a minute or three, doesn't matter all that much, just use the same procedure every time.

Some oil filters drain out into the oil pan quicker than others, but generally not within a few minutes, and either way it won't change the oil level all that much. Generally safer to stick with Toyota oil filters, or if you must, a name brand top shelf filter IMHO.

So after the vehicle is parked and engine is off, open the hood, pull dipstick, wipe off, reinsert making sure Engine Oil letters on the handle are upright, hold stick in engine for a count of three (not that critical IME, but not super quick in and out, and not 10 minutes), pull out dipstick, hold about horizontal, tip slightly down read level in hatched area. Repeat if any question.

Key point is to follow the same procedure every time with a fully warmed up engine (that is not running when you check the oil level).

Report back after you've rechecked your oil level as described above.

Last edited:
And stay away from Frame and Wix filters. A few threads on these failing and killing engines...

Reads as finicky oil level float sensor thingy, to me, but who knows. Had that happen last year. Always confirmed not low on oil, etc. Started to get intermittent oil light. Decided to service the float. New gasket, cleaned area & connector, removed float, looked clean but gently cleaned anyway, replaced everything, and intermittent nature of the oil light went away. Not sure what did it in my case.

At the end of the day, if you regularly manually verify your oil level is correct, you should be fine there. Regarding oil pressure, you will have to verify with a gauge. Dash gauge often sounds to be less accurate with age, but what does yours generally say?

re: checking fill level after an oil change, I pour in almost enough (~7qt), let it sit for a bit, check, and fill as needed. Typically seemed to be about 7.5qt for me. You don't want to overfill by much, but it's not going to hurt if it's not absolutely perfect. I also check after my first drive or so.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies. Definitely some conflicting information here.

I'm just shocked that I got a reading of over full, all the way to a dry stick when warm. I'm pretty convinced that it is low.

I'll check the level again and top it off. I wonder if it's related to cold weather or perhaps the rig wasn't completely level when I checked and it said over full (but it was not terribly uneven, either).

1FZ has been flashing the oil light intermittently.

After it first started, I checked the oil level. I believe it was cold after sitting for a day or so. Oil level was completely full, maybe over full slightly.

More oil light flashing goes by...

Couple hundred miles later, I check and nothing is on the stick. Light seems to stay on more often. Engine is warm. Very puzzling.

It sounds like the correct procedure is to warm it up, then check the level after it's stopped for a few minutes. In cold weather, say around freezing, does the dipstick tube hold onto excess oil? For an oil change, how do I know I've put enough oil in?

Is it possible that it's weather related, or something might be wrong with the motor? Motor itself sounds fine, just not sure if there's any bizarre condition where you can go from over full to dry so easily.

Related: Dipstick oil level readings. WTF?? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/dipstick-oil-level-readings-wtf.463172/

Thanks!
There are 2 reliable ways to check your engine oil level. 1- Engine cold, before starting (engine has set overnight) and 2- Engine fully warmed up. 2nd method engine warm, is the method most owner's manuals will specify, because the dipstick's full line is determined by this method. Those of us that have been around long enough, know this has not always been the case. It would be to your benefit to know both methods, because there are times that you'll be needing to know your oil level immediately. The level on the dipstick will be higher than full, when checked cold because oil has had time to drain down more completely into oil pan. You'll have to determine, yourself, how far above full the dipstick will read. Engine cold method IMHO, is more reliable because as many have asked, how long after you shut off engine do you check. It's good to be consistant, but life isn't always that easy.

Also, the oil light flashing can be experienced off road driving off camber due to extreme terrain. IME, it's a good reminder to check that oil level at the next convenient time. Cold weather can affect the sensor's performance if it's gummed up or engine isn't fully warmed up. If you're having to add a qt. of oil frequently between oil changes, you need to find out why.

Edit: Yes, definetly, always check oil level with vehicle level!

Thank you all for the replies. Definitely some conflicting information here.

I'm just shocked that I got a reading of over full, all the way to a dry stick when warm. I'm pretty convinced that it is low.

I'll check the level again and top it off. I wonder if it's related to cold weather or perhaps the rig wasn't completely level when I checked and it said over full (but it was not terribly uneven, either).
Don't overthink this. The sump holds 8 quarts of oil and is well baffled. You could be 4 quarts low and for a daily driver this engine wouldn't care.
Check it with a cold non-running engine on relatively level surface. Anywhere on the hatch marks is just fine. Move on with your day.

FWIW, my oil light will be intermittent when I'm a quart or so low. It will go out after the oil has warmed up a bit, so I tend to ignore it. If it stays on, I'll check the oil level the following morning and throw a quart at it to get the light to go out. I don't think about it after that.

BTW, oil PRESSURE has nothing to do with oil LEVEL, unless you're so low that the pump is cavitating. And an 80 Series does not have an oil pressure warning lamp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom