Looking to Jump Ship... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys... Been a Rover owner for over 15 years (RRC, Disco I, Disco II, Defender) and I'm considering getting a LX450. (should have bought an LC or LX years ago. LOL)

Prices, like Rovers, are all over the board. I've seen $3k up to $25k... ranging from 90k to 300k miles.

I found a 1997 LX 450 with ~175k triple locked and very nice interior... They want $9k for it. Price seems low for the features and mileage. I'm I wrong to think there's something wrong with the truck?

Thanks for your input

Forgot to add that the undercarriage looks great, without rust.

At this age, an in person inspection is really the only way to tell.
True that. I'm planning of seeing it Saturday.

I've read the Slee Newbie Guide... Pretty great info there.

True that. I'm planning of seeing it Saturday.

I've read the Slee Newbie Guide... Pretty great info there.

If is nice, at that price, wont be for sale long, may want to jump sooner?

1997 LX 450
~175k
triple locked
very nice interior
rust free

$9k is a good price if there are no big issues lurking in the shadows there.

Before visiting I'd get the VIN and pull the history of the truck to look for oddities in it's history, wrecks/damage and to see where it's spent it's time (mostly to confirm it's not been in the rust belt or coastal flood/rust zones). When inspecting try to find out the service history, has the HG been done, has it ever over-heated, is the drivetrain service up to date, is the coolant system rust/sludge free, has a rusty undercarriage just been sprayed over, etc. Anything can be fixed, and $9k leaves some repair budget in my opinion but you don't want any major system failures, hidden crash damage or rust to show up after soon after you buy at that price I'd say.

Not everyone knows how much they're worth to an enthusiast. The insurance companies sure as hell don't . Old soccer-mom mobile or retiree dumping their cruiser may just use run-of-the-mill used SUV pricing. $9k sounds good if it's in good shape as described... I wouldn't call it a screaming deal, but a good deal.

if you are going to wheel it i would look for a cruiser so there wasnt as much plastic to deal with getting torn off but the price seems fair.

Looks like I'm not the only one who feels this was TGTBT

Thanks to @Heckraiser for letting me know.

Also, competing with @raidriar for the same truck 😆🤣😆🤣

^^^This^^^. Call in sick, get a baby sitter, and drive three hours now,
bring a flash light, if it seems solid make the deal (or at least put down a refundable down payment) while you're there, it will be gone if you think about it. Of course, it could be a lemon.

A few years ago I drove five hours to look at a locked 40th anniversay, seller said nothing was wrong with it except might need a tune up. It was in fairly good shape cosmetically (no rust or body damage) except for the old bag of animal feed spilled in the rear cargo area.

Turned out it had a blown head gasket and the seller was trying to cover it up.

Not everyone knows how much they're worth to an enthusiast. The insurance companies sure as hell don't .
The sorry thing is, That's one hell of true statement about how insurance companys view our trucks.

Bruh you need to adjust that attitude and set your priorities right drop everything and go buy it :meh:
Trust me... If I could I'd go.

But by the post on the other thread it looks like it's no bueno.

^^^This^^^. Call in sick, get a baby sitter, and drive three hours now,
bring a flash light, if it seems solid make the deal (or at least put down a refundable down payment) while you're there, it will be gone if you think about it. Of course, it could be a lemon.

A few years ago I drove five hours to look at a locked 40th anniversay, seller said nothing was wrong with it except might need a tune up. It was in fairly good shape cosmetically (no rust or body damage) except for the old bag of animal feed spilled in the rear cargo area.

Turned out it had a blown head gasket and the seller was trying to cover it up.
Might be helpful to lay out the signs of a blown head gasket and also the signs of a cover-up.

Might be helpful to lay out the signs of a blown head gasket and also the signs of a cover-up.
You can have blow-back... Coolant in the oil... steam coming from the pipe. You have to do a compression test to make sure the head gaskets are good.

Ask me how I know... I own Rovers. 😆🤣😂

Doing a head gasket job on the I6 looks simple enough.

Just got the Carfox... has been in two accidents. in 1998 and in 2004 (this one was bad)

Just got the Carfox... has been in two accidents. in 1998 and in 2004 (this one was bad)

1567129262322.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom