Ignition issues. Looking for a little guidance. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey previous member new account.

Having some starting issues on the 93 FZ. My buddy is convinced it’s timing issue but I think it’s the ignition coil. It literally was running turned off and started doing this.

Any suggestion is appreciated!

So, for some reason the video I shared isn’t sharing.

In the video it shows the engine cranking but not turning over and making a high pitched whine. I removed the distributor cap and the distributor isn’t spinning. I removed the distributor from the block and it spins fine and looks fine. I put the distributor back on and still no start.

Sounds like you need to pull the valve cover and verify why the distributor is not rotating. Perhaps the timing chain broke, in which case, your friend would be more correct than he or she knows.

Last edited:
Sounds like you need to pull the valve cover and verify why the distributor is not rotating. Perhaps the timing chain broke, in which case, your friend would be more correct than he or she knows.
Dude is a magician and is usually spot on. He said exactly what you said as well. Assuming it is the timing chain (which I thought they had timing gears?) How labor intensive are we talking to replace that timing chain?

Slow down now and don't take anything apart yet.

Based strictly on what you have said above...

High pitched whine and dist no turny? are you sure the engine is turning? My first guess would be that the start is ot engagng. The whine is the starter turning fast with no load on it.

Are the belts/fan/front end accessories on the engine spinning?

Mark...

Last edited:
Dude is a magician and is usually spot on. He said exactly what you said as well. Assuming it is the timing chain (which I thought they had timing gears?) How labor intensive are we talking to replace that timing chain?

Timing chain in the 1FZ.

They seldom actually break. More common is stretching once they have a lot of miles, jumping a tooth with sprocket damage too of course. (FWIW, I have seen them go over 500K).

Everything (including the dist) still turns, but it will not start or run.

Replacing timing chain requires pulling the front of the motor off of course and pulling the head too.

Mark...

Last edited:
If the starter is whining, and the engine isn't turning over then check the starter.
Try quick key turns to get engagement of starter and flywheel. Sometimes a love tap to the starter with the wooden end of an axe or shovel will help.
Lastly make sure you have a good battery.

Damn. Simple would have been nice. ;(

Mark
Amen!

I've tapped the starter as well.

My real problem lies in the fact my truck is at work sitting in a mud puddle. I could move it but the manager of the facility is going to want the thing out of there problably tomorrow. To make things even more interesting I'm living in a cabin 16 miles south of Big Sky MT and the ONLY repair shop here is booked out 2 weeks. I can get it to Bozeman but gosh dangit the whole reason I got this rig back is the simplicity of repair!

So to recap and it may be worth noting there is a viper remote start on this beast:

• The day before my buddy drove to Bozeman and said it was running hot so I took the coolant cap off and coolant sprayed everywhere. (I know I know)
  • Next day truck running just fine in the parking lot turned the truck off to work and what happened in the video started
  • (Brand new battery BTW)
  • Through a spritz of starter fluid and cranked and nothing
  • Started metering and cleaning back from the battery to check voltages.
  • Noticed the ignition coil had no power.
  • Pulled the distributor cap and noticed it wasn't spinning at all
  • Pulled the distributor and the gear on the back is in good shape.
  • Hit the starter with a wrench and still nothing.
Im not afraid to dig into things a bit more but I believe just pulling the valve cover and poking around is going to be a few hours which time is my biggest enemy right now.

I appreciate all the guidance as well!

FWIW, it sounds almost as if the spark plugs have been removed ie: no compression??
Any oil in the coolant, coolant in the oil??

I would start over with diagnosing, have you checked to see if your getting spark, fuel? Have you checked fusible links?

FWIW, it sounds almost as if the spark plugs have been removed ie: no compression??
Any oil in the coolant, coolant in the oil??

@jedichefguy I would agree that there seems to be no compression. That points to a failed timing chain. Camshafts and distributor would not rotate, no spark etc. when the timing chain is broken. Don't waste your time on the things your doing. Removing the valve cover to inspect is your next step to confirm.

In the first post the OP states that the engine was running and just stopped and now the engine cranks over with the starter but the dizzy doesn’t rotate. Yank that valve cover…..

Last edited:
So I took the cruiser to Rising Sun in Bozeman on Friday. They're saying its the timing chain and the labor alone will be 17 hours and 3800 dollars for just labor and will be more for parts and more if the heads need to be machined. This to me sounds absolutely insane. Im in big sky and don't have anywhere to work on this bad boy except outside on the gravel at the ranch I'm staying at. I have mechanical ability but zero experience working on these.I'd be happy to pay someone within 200 miles of Bozeman to do the job but that rate seems ridiculous.

Anyone have any input on a mechanic or where I can source the parts and possibly do it myself and would this be a job I could tackle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom