Looking for assistance with Colorado emissions (1HD-FT) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I read your draft--seems like all the necessary info is there.

Really it boils down to convincing them of two things:
1. Your Landcruiser didn't come equipped when new with a catalytic converter because no 80-series diesel had one.
2. Because the original exhaust system didn't have a catalytic converter (and thus no emissions equipment at all), the fact that your aftermarket exhaust doesn't have one is immaterial.

Point 1 requires documentation. Point 2 is just logic.

Of course, it's up to them. If you can get away with buying and installing the OEM part to the front of the exhaust, that might be the easiest way out. If things go poorly, just get out of there and tell them you'll need to look into it further.

Reading your reply I believe you include too much information.
You have a JDM truck, stick with those specifics.
I would skip the 100 series as your car pre dates that.
You do not have a fte engine.

"I have a hdft engine, here are the worldwide specifications of that truck" may be worth while for your year.

Reading your reply I believe you include too much information.
You have a JDM truck, stick with those specifics.
I would skip the 100 series as your car pre dates that.
You do not have a fte engine.

"I have a hdft engine, here are the worldwide specifications of that truck" may be worth while for your year.
makes sense, the reason I included the other vehicles is that I believe they're referencing the wrong vehicle. a gas 80 or FTE 100 seems the most likely way to confuse with a diesel 80 since those would be the only comparable vehicles that did have cats.

I spoke with the ETC this morning, was told they do not share documentation or part numbers and instead point people to the manufacturer. I explained that the documentation I identified (thanks to you all, and others who I have spoken with outside of mud) indicates these did not come with cats. They agreed to review what I put together, hoping I'll hear back this afternoon but they did not state when they'd follow up.

As a precaution, I also scheduled time with a local Yota dealer to have them take a look at the truck and see if they could write something up on Toyota letter head stating these trucks were not equipped with cats from the factory. Hopefully this will not end up being necessary, but hedging my bets at the moment.

Well, neutral news.

I got a response from the inspection center and they said they are escalating to the program supervisor who is out of office until next week. I am hoping the fact that they didn't say no up front is a good sign. I would like to think that if they didn't want to consider the documentation I put together, they would have just said that.

Still, hedging my bets here. I called a local Toyota dealer and the service advisor thinks they'll be able to write something up saying my truck was not equipped with cats from the factory. Driving over there tomorrow to see what we can figure out.

@urhc2 Give a call to Akisp Diesel Emissions in Commerce City and see if they can help.

Secondly, paging @stusic or @doughboy - they may know of some other people that can help.

Thanks @CruiserTrash

Unfortunately I have zero information that will help being that @urhc2 has done everything I would have done. If none of that works, I'd just register it at the cabin outside of the metro area.

My 81 is a 1990 and I didn't have to deal with cat problems. They did fail me because I didn't have a "safety" wire on the injection pump and I had to pay a mechanic to put one on with a written letter that they did it.

Zero issues when I did the BJ71 and they didn't even look at the exhaust and they looked under the hood for maybe, and I might be exaggerating a bit here, 20 seconds. I was in and out in 5 minutes.

Those diesel inspections guys are weird and temperamental with no rhyme or reason for doing things, from my experience.

Cheers,
Angelo

They did fail me because I didn't have a "safety" wire on the injection pump and I had to pay a mechanic to put one on with a written letter that they did it.
They almost failed me because the main fuel adjustment screw on my HDJ80 didn't have yellow marking paint on it (apparently the paint is supposed to show that the screw hasn't been tampered with). He decided to get a yellow paint pen and mark it himself. There, I passed.
Those diesel inspections guys are weird and temperamental with no rhyme or reason for doing things, from my experience.
I know of at least one turbo'd 1HZ that passed. That should be impossible. I don't think they looked at the motor in my HZJ75 pickup for more than a glance and it passed. They scrutinized my 1HD-FT for probably a half hour. They've never failed anything I've taken down there, but they do sometimes lack consistency in their approach.

@gilmorneau so you have an 80 with the 1HDFT, with no cats. How long ago was that inspection? I wonder if @urhc2 Shows them you passed their inspection, or if that's just opening a whole new can of worms and then they revoke yours or something

They almost failed me because the main fuel adjustment screw on my HDJ80 didn't have yellow marking paint on it (apparently the paint is supposed to show that the screw hasn't been tampered with). He decided to get a yellow paint pen and mark it himself. There, I passed.

I know of at least one turbo'd 1HZ that passed. That should be impossible. I don't think they looked at the motor in my HZJ75 pickup for more than a glance and it passed. They scrutinized my 1HD-FT for probably a half hour. They've never failed anything I've taken down there, but they do sometimes lack consistency in their approach.

@gilmorneau so you have an 80 with the 1HDFT, with no cats. How long ago was that inspection? I wonder if @urhc2 Shows them you passed their inspection, or if that's just opening a whole new can of worms and then they revoke yours or something

I certainly wouldn't want to be the reason someone gets called back or failed retroactively....

@gilmorneau if you would be willing to send me a redacted copy (no VIN or personal info) I could add that to my toolbox and only bring it up if they fail me again.

My inspection was about a year and a half ago. See post #5 of this thread for details. Short version: I had the inspection, and they told me I had a catalytic converter even though I don't. My inspection form (DR-2365) says I have a cat, which hasn't been a problem yet, but I can only imagine it will be one day.

What I think this all boils down to is that they got mine wrong--they concluded I have a cat--and then they maybe entered that info into their system (assuming they have a system)? Which makes them look for cats on any 1HD-FT they see? If they see the resonator between the downpipe and the muffler, they think it's a cat (just like mine) and you pass. If it's not there, you fail. Just guessing.

I certainly wouldn't want to be the reason someone gets called back or failed retroactively....
Lol...I won't fail. I have a cat. :rofl:
@gilmorneau if you would be willing to send me a redacted copy (no VIN or personal info) I could add that to my toolbox and only bring it up if they fail me again.
Joking aside, I could send a copy if you want, but I'm not sure my DR-2365 would help you much, since it says I have a catalytic converter on my truck. At some point, I suppose I'll need to get it corrected, which will probably be its own nightmare. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

My inspection was about a year and a half ago. See post #5 of this thread for details. Short version: I had the inspection, and they told me I had a catalytic converter even though I don't. My inspection form (DR-2365) says I have a cat, which hasn't been a problem yet, but I can only imagine it will be one day.

What I think this all boils down to is that they got mine wrong--they concluded I have a cat--and then they maybe entered that info into their system (assuming they have a system)? Which makes them look for cats on any 1HD-FT they see? If they see the resonator between the downpipe and the muffler, they think it's a cat (just like mine) and you pass. If it's not there, you fail. Just guessing.

Lol...I won't fail. I have a cat. :rofl:

Joking aside, I could send a copy if you want, but I'm not sure my DR-2365 would help you much, since it says I have a catalytic converter on my truck. At some point, I suppose I'll need to get it corrected, which will probably be its own nightmare. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

yeah I forgot you mentioned they misidentified your resonator as a cat. I broke my exhaust wheeling a couple weeks ago and had to get a custom one put on. Unfortunately, that has put me into the situation I am in now whereas I could have possibly had my resonator misidentified like yours and moved on.

At this rate its look like I go back to my original plan of hoping they accept the documentation I compiled. I went to a local Toyota dealer the other day and asked if they could write something up for me but they weren't comfortable since they couldn't look my truck up. They suggested I try a Canadian or Australian dealer so I am going to give that a try next.

today's update, I spoke with the supervisor for the Denver ETC. I think it was positive, we talked about the research I did and conversations I had with Toyota parts aftermarket shops and international dealers all telling me these never had cats. He told me they have similar trucks in their system that do have cats. I told him I can't speak for other vehicles but all of the research I've done indicates these never had cats. He asked me to call back tomorrow after he's had a chance to talk it over with his supervisor and the folks who physically inspected the truck. Seemed like a friendly guy and I told him I would be willing to put a cat on, he even mentioned he doesn't know where to begin finding one. I am hopeful this means we'll be able to sort it out in the next day or two.

That’s probably mine. I feel like I owe you an apology. 😂

depending on how this goes.... I may end up owing you one lol

Hopefully this doesn't lead them to audit what they've already processed through as having a cat... This process seems to contain enough single points of failure that they are likely able to just brush problems under the rug if they really want to.

Yet another update, no luck on the inspection center front. They're still trying to figure out if this thing is supposed to have a cat since their previous inspections for the FT's marked a cat present.

I called the exhaust shop that did my custom exhaust and he remembered me and my truck, he said he knows the guy I am working with at the inspection center and will call them in the AM.

The saga continues. If you learn anything from this thread and live in an emissions part of Colorado, it's buy a 1HDT. Getting this FT through inspection has been a nightmare, and that is under the assumption that I somehow make it through.

Ignorant government officials are above reason.

Final update, I have passed inspection without a cat. They didn't share any detail as to what changed their assessment, but my truck has passed inspection and documented that it was not equipped with a cat. On to emissions testing! Hopefully this will turn a corner for anybody who buys a 1HD-FT in an emissions region of CO and I will sign off this thread with the offer to help anybody who runs into Colorado inspection issues with their diesel 80's in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom