Looking for assistance with Colorado emissions (1HD-FT) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Final update, I have passed inspection without a cat. They didn't share any detail as to what changed their assessment, but my truck has passed inspection and documented that it was not equipped with a cat. On to emissions testing! Hopefully this will turn a corner for anybody who buys a 1HD-FT in an emissions region of CO and I will sign off this thread with the offer to help anybody who runs into Colorado inspection issues with their diesel 80's in the future.
hell yeah, congratulations. you should just have to pass opacity of smoke for emissions. I don't know if it changes for the 1HD-T vs 1HD-FT, actually.

hell yeah, congratulations. you should just have to pass opacity of smoke for emissions. I don't know if it changes for the 1HD-T vs 1HD-FT, actually.
I think this is still the case but will update this thread when we get to that point. The diesel shop I've started working with can't get me in until Dec 7 so now I get to focus on suspension and other mods instead!

Well this is a very timely thread for me. Thank you @urhc2

There must be tens of thousands of foreign market vehicle configurations. How do they know what is "original" to a vehicle? Or rather do you think they are just looking for obvious modifications like aftermarket parts?

Well this is a very timely thread for me. Thank you @urhc2

There must be tens of thousands of foreign market vehicle configurations. How do they know what is "original" to a vehicle? Or rather do you think they are just looking for obvious modifications like aftermarket parts?

They claim to review documentation, but reading between the lines, it sounds like they are reviewing the Toyota Information System. Which the US version of TIS does not have diesel Land Cruisers. When I first went in for inspection, the guy said it was missing cats without even checking documentation, so there seems to be a strong element of them just going off memory too.

@gilmorneau hopefully I don't end up owing you or other previous 1HD-FT inspections an apology....
HaHa...No worries. Worst case, I get an overzealous diesel emissions tester someday who notices that my DR-2365 says I have a cat. I suppose then I'll need to go back to the technical center and get it corrected.
you should just have to pass opacity of smoke for emissions.
Yup.
Short answer is that they can't know. The task they've been given is nearly impossible. Every time somebody takes another car down there, they get another reference point. I got the idea they were also doing research via Google. I suppose they're doing the best they can.
there seems to be a strong element of them just going off memory too.
Yeah. I think once they see a certain type of car, that's their reference for future versions of the same thing. Pity the poor guy who takes them an Australia-spec 1HD-FT with no EGR (or cats). That will probably be an ordeal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom