Long lost quest for motivation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

93jspec

Cruising Central Texas
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
Spring is here in the PNW, really my first since moving down here from Alaska. Parting with my FJ40 build has left me kind of listless, but remodeling a home and playing with new toys has taken time away from good ole Spider Pig. I cannot put off the growing to do list any more.

New muffler install with new OEM exhaust bushings from Wits End ( support those vendors )
Steering Stab and from springs from SLEE ( I had an original set of non-progressives front and rear that have been worn out, replaced the rear the 2 summers ago )
Finish installing the dual battery / winch control setup from our friends at 12voltGuy
New to me CB install as well as install an accessory fuse panel from Blue Sea Systems and re position some of the LED alight switches to better location, center console is not ideal, thinking by the rear heater controls. Move CB antenna to mount on front ARB bumper
LED License Plate light on 4x4Labs rear bumper swing out
Oil Change , plugs, wires, Cap and Rotor
Brake adjustment, still softish after ABS uninstall (including making the damn parking brake work)
PFRAN LED interior light installation
Fabricate my roof rack finally...

**Should I install the part time kit I have, or just tolerate the clicking I am getting from my 2 year old (TG) "Longfields" when in 4WD and turning ******stirs the pot******

Seriously considering installing a 9k winch in my rear bumper.
Service both swing outs on rear bumper

*build rear drawer/storage system

Finish it all off with a nice Gray tinted Raptor Liner

Hoping that by posting this my fellow Cruiser Heads will push me along. In Alaska I had my local friends goading me along, have not made those connections here in Oregon yet.

What I have started with:

Glad I have a couple shop vacs handy in the shop.

Thinking of going this route with trimming

Last edited:
I like where this is heading! Keep trucking along it seems like you’ve got a good game plan and you just need to keep tossing pics our way to have us cheer you on :cheers::cheers:

As far as finding local land cruiser guys, checkout the clubhouse on here for clubs in oregon. I’d be really surprised if there weren’t people like us around there.

I like where this is heading! Keep trucking along it seems like you’ve got a good game plan and you just need to keep tossing pics our way to have us cheer you on :cheers::cheers:

As far as finding local land cruiser guys, checkout the clubhouse on here for clubs in oregon. I’d be really surprised if there weren’t people like us around there.

I appreciate the positive input. Looked at the Clubhouse a few months ago, seems I am in the "Deadzone" for the state. I may take a 2 hour drive North to Portland one day and do a meet and greet with the Cascade Cruisers. Hopefully I can find a few good like minded people in the Eugene (Go Ducks) Springfield, Cottage Grove area that are looking to do trips on the weekends and eventually get a MOAB in ;)

For sure! I hope a few folks in your area with 80s chime in. I know I’m jealous of you being up there in Oregon. The 80 is looking good though so just keep the pics coming and I’ll be here to like them!

It has taken a bit but here is the final result after a few changes. Dual battery setup from 12voltguy with in cab winch controls is done, accessory fuse panel was installed in the engine bay after making a bracket. Push button switched (orange lights) installed below climate control for LED light bar and rear LED cubes. Installed Absolute Wits End Useless Cubby for my TAB A, also his ash tray panel. Installed a dual USB charger that shows current volts as well as two push button switches for future uses.

console.jpg

dual 2.jpg

power off.jpg

Last edited:
Getting the 4x4 labs bumper off after being on for 8+ years was a chore. Now to clean it and the frame up. Then slap on some POR15 and raptor liner.

C1CCDA2B-6FEF-48BA-A377-C9389F8E2DC3.jpeg

B1DED4EB-5594-4014-963C-376DE37D9FB1.jpeg

899AF343-1AA5-4687-A938-3772E9C13B91.jpeg

0B7FF1C3-B040-4D1D-B8EE-1B870FE021E0.jpeg

5362FF09-BB1B-47C7-9CB0-3CA8C4F9CA7F.jpeg

All back together. With some surface mounted lights added. Next on the agenda is new from springs from Slee, and to tackle the soft brake pedal. Any suggestions of caliper rebuild kits? Yeah the search function...off I go.

A47B9F26-E8B7-4EF5-84FE-6960773372EE.jpeg

89A81E4A-2F61-4676-80BD-731490C20548.jpeg

3340BFA7-9DF4-45EA-812E-DC64373A0E95.jpeg

sorry to hear you lost your 40 :frown:

sorry to hear you lost your 40 :frown:
It was a financial decision, so may projects and I just kept throwing my money at the FJ 40. Moving from Alaska to Oregon, home remodel, something had to give and in this case it was one of the projects. Maybe one day I will pick up another and just keep it as is.

**Should I install the part time kit I have, or just tolerate the clicking I am getting from my 2 year old (TG) "Longfields" when in 4WD and turning ******stirs the pot******
Just my .02c, the part-time kit will not address the clicking. More serious issues afoot.
And to double down, I recommend against the kit at any rate. There is no fuel savings (common misconception per dudes who build these things for a living, yet the debate rages) and the auto-lock hubs are a nice feature I wouldn't want to give up (one of the few "automatic driveline gidgets" I can live with).

Last edited:
Been daily driving the ole girl and walls this morning check engine light, P0171 code. I will check the intake bolts and vacuum lines when it’s not pissing on me. I will have OEM upstream O2 sensor Monday, might as well do a tune up at the same time. Oil change, fuel filter, cap, plugs and wires about to go down.

AED53530-DD14-417C-9D24-2F90842288B9.jpeg

A87BC6F3-772E-431C-B698-C5FE490A051B.jpeg

6935A5D4-06B2-42E3-8102-2553BCA31595.jpeg

Cleared the code, did the tune up, checked vacuum lines and intake bolts. Then took ole Spider Pig out to play in the snow. To steal a phrase from SpaceX "All systems NORMINAL" Need to tidy up charging cable management but I am super pleased.

norminal.jpg

It is a RAM Mount for the Samsung TAB A , and the Absolute Wits end Useless Cubby Mount. The TAB A has a GPS in it and does not require cellular connection to receive location., can usually get them for less than $150.

It is a RAM Mount for the Samsung TAB A , and the Absolute Wits end Useless Cubby Mount. The TAB A has a GPS in it and does not require cellular connection to receive location., can usually get them for less than $150.

Excellent. Thank you!

Spider Pig in the shop getting some TLC. Rebuilding calipers, replacing the old SLEE extended lines, emergency brake, just waiting on some new info from @NLXTACY . Coolant flush and hose replacement. New progressive rate SLEE springs up front. Might as well do the knuckle service while I am at it. LSeat front leather replacement. Replace the old janky broken "oops I forgot it u was up" antenna. Finish it of with a coating of raptor liner...not sure about what color to tint the raptor liner.

Right now I am in tear down mode before I start ordering, just to ensure I don't miss anything that could be needed during install.

92022512_3015856998480403_7684846680490901504_o.jpg

Hey hit me up - I'm in Portland and am also suffering from a long todo list on the cruiser.

Right now it's Witts end OBA, 150amp alternator, new ground cables, subwoofer wiring, rear view camera, resolve winch issues and a large box of misc trim parts and seals :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom