Locker Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More :popcorn: A TruTrac is not a auto locker. It actually works the opposite of an open deff and that it sends the power to the wheel that has traction. It is not a locker.
and seems like it would be perfect for the OP intended use.
Not knowing the OP driving experience it’s hard to say if an auto locker would be good for him or not.

I ran a aussie locker in the rear and did a locked OEM axle swap in the front, with the CDL button and 7pin done worked flawless. Yes <shudder> even in snow and ice.

I think the full carrier autos ( Detroit, grizzly) might be the best thing for an 80 rear axle. That’s what I’m hoping anyway, will all the good reviews of spartan style lockers. But supposedly stronger and smoother.

I’ll report back in about a week if I find this to be true/false with the Yukon.

My experience is with selectable lockers in my current 80 that has factory e-lockers. I have had ARB's in my FJ and Minitrucks. However, in my last 80 that had open diffs I wheeled with no lockers for about a decade before adding a rear Aussie Locker. I was concerned about the behavior of the autolocker because at the time my wife was daily driving the 80 and I was concerned about it causing issues specifically during winter driving. I can speak from personal experience and echo many of the comments already made about the Aussie locker. It was completely transparent and the only time during regular driving that I knew it was in the truck was when I could hear it ratchet on tight turns on pavement. No weirdness, no funky behavior, no noise. On the trail, it was excellent. I never added a front locker and frankly never felt the need to. Even with triple lockers in the current 80, I rarely use my front locker or feel the need to. I wheel on plenty of difficult trails where a front locker is commonly used by Jeeps etc that have been on the trails with us, but the 80 hasn't needed to. A rear locker alone will get you so many places. Given the description of the OP's intended use for the truck, a rear locker is definitely adequate and a front locker would be overkill and an unnecessary expense IMO. For these uses I like the idea of an auto locker because there's no need to fiddle with switches, etc and you'll get through most challenges without issue before getting stuck and then needed to lock the diff. Cheap, reliable and effective.

The front diff is a different story. Selectable every time for the front diff IMO.

I have a Grizzly in the rear of mine and other than some clicking noise around tight corners you'd never know it was there until you need it. Drove it quite a bit in the snow and never has done anything even remotely weird. Have wheeled with a few Rubicons and other than the obvious departure/approach angle advantage they have not too much difference in ability until I lose traction on one of the front wheels, but a selectable front locker would fix that.

I have a Grizzly in the rear of mine and other than some clicking noise around tight corners you'd never know it was there until you need it. Drove it quite a bit in the snow and never has done anything even remotely weird. Have wheeled with a few Rubicons and other than the obvious departure/approach angle advantage they have not too much difference in ability until I lose traction on one of the front wheels, but a selectable front locker would fix that.
Good to hear that! Mine should get delivered tomorrow, I popped the rear diff out the other day so hopefully I can slam it in this weekend. Can’t wait to try it out.

Good to hear that! Mine should get delivered tomorrow, I popped the rear diff out the other day so hopefully I can slam it in this weekend. Can’t wait to try it out.
Good luck, but be advised. The stock carrier bearings didn't work with mine, had to use mini-truck carrier bearings as the journals were smaller than the factory carrier.

Good luck, but be advised. The stock carrier bearings didn't work with mine, had to use mini-truck carrier bearings as the journals were smaller than the factory carrier.
I read about this, and have 45mm carrier bearings on hand. Had to do some digging on Yukon’s website but I found the specs for the bearings.

I own ARBs exclusively

I hate them

I was you.

I hate them too, and glad I’m no longer owning any.

——————————————————

So I skipped all the other posts - I’m for Harrops & if they do one for a 10.5” Tundra, that’s what I’ll buy.

But I’ll do a TC swap before that - but yeah - Harrop.

And this is the problem with your opinion, you have never driven one with an auto locker but read some stuff and talked to some people. I owned one and drove it for years in all kinds of weather. Every pre traction control vehicle will be sketchy on ice,
To tell you the truth, I wouldn't put an auto locker, lunchbox locker, or Detroit locker in my 80 - but that's just me. No disrespect intended for those that do. I know they substantially increase an 80's ability for traction off road, as any locker will. But the older I get, the more of a control freak I find myself being. I'm even starting to consider a manual tranny for mine. It figures - putting "auto" in front of anything just doesn't excite me anymore.

I was you.

I hate them too, and glad I’m no longer owning any.

——————————————————

So I skipped all the other posts - I’m for Harrops & if they do one for a 10.5” Tundra, that’s what I’ll buy.

But I’ll do a TC swap before that - but yeah - Harrop.
ARB emailed me back and said they had a batch of bad seals and a bad manufacturer in 2018, or something. Wonderful.

Can't thank you guys enough for the insight. Decisions decisions... Looking like an auto locker for the rear is probably the best bet for now. Anyone recommend the nitro lunchbox locker? I'm putting their 4.88 gears in. That's where this whole thing started. ZackR, the winch will be replaced as well. That's another story for another time.

Funner where did you grow up in Northern MI? I'm located in Suttons Bay / Traverse city area

ARB emailed me back and said they had a batch of bad seals and a bad manufacturer in 2018, or something. Wonderful.
All the rock crawlers with aftermarket dana/prorock axles run ARB air lockers...i personally had my ARB compressor for over 3 yrs now with zero problem.

All the rock crawlers with aftermarket dana/prorock axles run ARB air lockers...i personally had my ARB compressor for over 3 yrs now with zero problem.
ARB themselves just emailed me to say they had a wave of known issues so I'm not sure what you're trying to convey

ok well, i am telling you based on my personal experience, and nothing else... I have not had any issues with the seals, and it was just stone cold reliable and i use the compressor to air up my 37 inch tires on top of that..

Can't thank you guys enough for the insight. Decisions decisions... Looking like an auto locker for the rear is probably the best bet for now. Anyone recommend the nitro lunchbox locker? I'm putting their 4.88 gears in. That's where this whole thing started. ZackR, the winch will be replaced as well. That's another story for another time.

Funner where did you grow up in Northern MI? I'm located in Suttons Bay / Traverse city area

I grew up in Traverse City. Sutton’s bay is beautiful too. I have no experience with the nitro locker, it could be better than the Aussie locker or not. The Aussie has been well used and reviewed on mud and has a strong following, the Spartan has some strong support and a few with bad experiences. I chose the Aussie because there was little if any negative reports.

I think the full carrier autos ( Detroit, grizzly) might be the best thing for an 80 rear axle. That’s what I’m hoping anyway, will all the good reviews of spartan style lockers. But supposedly stronger and smoother.

I’ll report back in about a week if I find this to be true/false with the Yukon.
Report as promised.

Grizzly locker is extremely smooth and quiet. Not much to report it works great. Pretty much only starts locking/unlocking enough to even notice when the center is locked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom