Locker Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Aussie locker is Automatic?

Yes, and in an AWD land cruiser, almost unnoticeable aside from some clicking once in a while. I grew up in northern Michigan and would not want one in a rear driven part time 4wd vehicle, but in an 80 series it would be a no brainer. For the OP’s stated use, throwing selectable lockers in a rig would be almost pointless. A $300 automatic locker is more than enough.

been running ARB air lockers front and back for over 3 yrs now with zero issues. ditched the blue plastic air lines and went with S.S. and now i am a happy camper

Yes, and in an AWD land cruiser, almost unnoticeable aside from some clicking once in a while. I grew up in northern Michigan and would not want one in a rear driven part time 4wd vehicle, but in an 80 series it would be a no brainer. For the OP’s stated use, throwing selectable lockers in a rig would be almost pointless. A $300 automatic locker is more than enough.
I'm sorry, but I don't agree with anything you said in this post. Auto-lockers are fine for the sun belt and maybe occasional use in snow country. OP lives in MI, which IIRC is snow country. Selectable lockers are not just for rock crawling. If he's already into both diffs, why not take the time and $ to do it right? As far as the $ go, it's a good investment, if nothing else. When I needed to regear, I took advantage of it and had Zuk install Harrops and have never looked back. There is no disadvantage that I can think of in being able to consistantly control your wheel spin.

I must have mist the part wear the OP stated his use.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with anything you said in this post. Auto-lockers are fine for the sun belt and maybe occasional use in snow country. OP lives in MI, which IIRC is snow country. Selectable lockers are not just for rock crawling. If he's already into both diffs, why not take the time and $ to do it right? As far as the $ go, it's a good investment, if nothing else. When I needed to regear, I took advantage of it and had Zuk install Harrops and have never looked back. There is no disadvantage that I can think of in being able to consistantly control your wheel spin.

You’re entitled to your opinion even if it’s not based on personal experience. I have owned and driven an fzj80 with an auto locker in lots of snow and had zero issues. The awd makes all the difference. I have also driven an auto locker in a rear wheel drive in snow and it was squirrelly. Experience matters.
I am not saying selectable lockers aren’t better, just not really necessary for mild use.

Last edited:
I must have mist the part wear the OP stated his use.

Post 17

“ I won't be doing much if any serious crawling. I was thinking about a TruTrac for the rear and a harrop for the front for an "oh s***" moment.
The most I'd be really towing is a fishing boat. More of a Hunt, fish, camp rig setup.”

Probably doesn’t even need lockers, but I know how it is when you don’t have them.

You’re entitled to your opinion even if it’s not based on personal experience. I have owned and driven an fzj80 with an auto locker in lots of snow and had zero issues. The awd makes all the difference. I have also driven an auto locker in a rear wheel drive in snow and it was squirrelly. Experience matters.
I am not saying selectable lockers aren’t better, just not really necessary for mild use.
Agree entirely. Had the same experience with with the spartan locker in mine, completely unnoticeable 99.9% of the time, even in snow. The AWD and longer wheel base make a big difference in how it feels. Only reason I am going with a harrop this time is I may be towing in the future, but frankly even then I would probably still be fine with just an auto locker.

I looked into the harrops. The only downside is that they do not engage in reverse. Something to consider. Electric Lockers vs Air Locker | Harrop E-Locker Features & Benefits
Not true. Read the article carefully. Here is the quote that you mis-read: "One difference from air lockers is that the Harrop disengages when put in reverse and then re-engages when power is re-applied." This is only an issue in extreme competition and then it's not that much of an issue. Many 4 wheelers from all over the world have these installed in their rigs. They're proven durable.

It's not my opinion, it's based on both research and experience. Auto lockers can get unstable on snow packed or icy roads. The faster your vehicle speed, the worse it gets. I agree that an AWD makes a difference, but I wouldn't bet my life or the lives of my passengers on it. Once you have momentum and can sustain it, open diffs work the best for maintaining control on icy surfaces. If your auto locker locks up or even starts to lock up on an icy turn, it will cause a wheel on that axle to drag or spin and that's where the instability starts. The faster that you're moving, the more dramatic the results will be.

BTW, I've lived in rural OR for the past 28 yrs, where the closest freeway is 1.5 hrs away on good roads. So, I have some experience to pass on to those who want to listen.

It's not my opinion, it's based on both research and experience. Auto lockers can get unstable on snow packed or icy roads. The faster your vehicle speed, the worse it gets. I agree that an AWD makes a difference, but I wouldn't bet my life or the lives of my passengers on it. Once you have momentum and can sustain it, open diffs work the best for maintaining control on icy surfaces. If your auto locker locks up or even starts to lock up on an icy turn, it will cause a wheel on that axle to drag or spin and that's where the instability starts. The faster that you're moving, the more dramatic the results will be.

BTW, I've lived in rural OR for the past 28 yrs, where the closest freeway is 1.5 hrs away on good roads. So, I have some experience to pass on to those who want to listen.
Do you have experience with an auto in an 80 specifically? The wheel base and AWD system together genuinely do make a huge difference. I ran one in my old 80 and what @Funner has been saying was exactly my experience as well. You genuinely cannot notice them the vast majority of the time. Everyone I am aware of on here who has had one in an 80 seems to echo that as well. On the contrary, I've been in a 40 that had one and it was the exact opposite, super unpredictable and pretty sketchy honestly - can't imagine being in the snow with that set up.

Do you have experience with an auto in an 80 specifically? The wheel base and AWD system together genuinely do make a huge difference. I ran one in my old 80 and what @Funner has been saying was exactly my experience as well. You genuinely cannot notice them the vast majority of the time. Everyone I am aware of on here who has had one in an 80 seems to echo that as well. On the contrary, I've been in a 40 that had one and it was the exact opposite, super unpredictable and pretty sketchy honestly - can't imagine being in the snow with that set up.
No, I've talked with 80 owners that had them installed and read numerous articles and reviews of auto - lockers. Some of the owners had your opinion, but all of the more experienced owners admitted to not trusting their 80 series at speed on icy roads. Many 80 owners don't drive much on icy roads regularly, so I can see the auto locker popularity and lack of experiencing instability being an issue. For most people, the auto lockers work fine - and add considerably to their 80's ability. I had a True Trac auto locker in a Toyota mini pkup - but that's another story. I was tempted when re-rearing to save some bucks by installing an auto locker in the rear and a Harrop in the front - until I came to my senses. An auto locker would not work for me - not in the winter. I agree, shorter wheel based rigs are more affected and are just not as stable - in any conditions - as longer wheel based rigs. Years ago, my father-in-law had a '68 Bronco with a Detroit locker in the rear. He hated driving it on icy roads. I have to laugh remembering him cussing - trying to get out of his driveway north of Spokane, WA when their FWD Honda had no problem at all.:rofl:

Last edited:
Not true. Read the article carefully. Here is the quote that you mis-read: "One difference from air lockers is that the Harrop disengages when put in reverse and then re-engages when power is re-applied." This is only an issue in extreme competition and then it's not that much of an issue. Many 4 wheelers from all over the world have these installed in their rigs. They're proven durable.

I was told by a vender on here when I called to discuss new third members. in researching this, there was confusion all over the web. Watching this video, you are correct. I think...

Last edited:
My understanding is that the harrops do not lock the wheels when reversing. This is what I was told by cruiser outfitters when I called to discuss new third members. in researching this, there was confusion all over the web. I don't know for certain, but I trust cruiser outfitters.
Hmmm, have you seen this video? It's a couple years old, but is made by the manufacturer. Might clear it up for you. I still think either the person you talked to at Cruiser Outfitters is mis-informed or you mis-understood them.

No, I've talked with 80 owners that had them installed and read numerous articles and reviews of auto - lockers. Some of the owners had your opinion, but all of the more experienced owners admitted to not trusting their 80 series at speed on icy roads. Many 80 owners don't drive much on icy roads regularly, so I can see the auto locker popularity and lack of experiencing instability being an issue. For most people, the auto lockers work fine - and add considerably to their 80's ability. I had a True Trac auto locker in a Toyota mini pkup - but that's another story. I was temped when re-rearing to save some bucks by installing an auto locker in the rear and a Harrop in the front - until I came to my senses. An auto locker would not work for me - not in the winter. I agree, shorter wheel based rigs are more affected and are just not as stable - in any conditions - as longer wheel based rigs. Years ago, my father-in-law had a '68 Bronco with a Detroit locker in the rear. He hated driving it on icy roads. I have to laugh remember him cussing - trying to get out of his driveway north of Spokane, WA when their FWD Honda had no problem at all.:rofl:

Ok so you have no personal experience then. My intent isn't to start a d*ck measuring contest about auto locker vs selectable (I have a selectable which will be going into my 80 soon for different reasons) but my personal experience has been the direct opposite of that with auto lockers as well as everyone I've talked to and nearly every post I've seen on here. However, "icy" is very different than snow, and if you are regularly driving on icy roads and don't know how an autolocker behaves in those specific conditions, I can see how you could be uncomfortable. Even in ice storm conditions though once you understand how it behaves it is far from unpredictable. All of that said, driving regularly on very icy roads is not safe for anyone with any set up, autolocker or not, and is essentially a moot point for the vast majority of owners, not even really worth discussing as a "negative" for most people.

Ok so you have no personal experience then. My intent isn't to start a d*ck measuring contest about auto locker vs selectable (I have a selectable which will be going into my 80 soon for different reasons) but my personal experience has been the direct opposite of that with auto lockers as well as everyone I've talked to and nearly every post I've seen on here. However, "icy" is very different than snow, and if you are regularly driving on icy roads and don't know how an autolocker behaves in those specific conditions, I can see how you could be uncomfortable. Even in ice storm conditions though once you understand how it behaves it is far from unpredictable. All of that said, driving regularly on very icy roads is not safe for anyone with any set up, autolocker or not, and is essentially a moot point for the vast majority of owners, not even really worth discussing as a "negative" for most people.
Well then, I'm glad you got to post your opinion. Maybe we should let the OP decide on what's "really worth discussing as a "negative"" .

:popcorn: :hmm:

I won't be doing much if any serious crawling. I was thinking about a TruTrac for the rear and a harrop for the front for an "oh s***" moment.
The most I'd be really towing is a fishing boat. More of a Hunt, fish, camp rig setup.
I don’t think you really need lockers for that. But I know how it is, want them anyway. Same here. I haven’t needed lockers yet, and have had the truck in some rough stuff, but I going with a similar setup to what you mentioned.

I agree with the auto locker in the rear people, but decided to go with a full carrier auto locker (grizzly locker) I think should be stronger than a lunchbox. Then down the road when I have time, I’ll put a Harrop in the front.

No, I've talked with 80 owners that had them installed and read numerous articles and reviews of auto - lockers. Some of the owners had your opinion, but all of the more experienced owners admitted to not trusting their 80 series at speed on icy roads. Many 80 owners don't drive much on icy roads regularly, so I can see the auto locker popularity and lack of experiencing instability being an issue. For most people, the auto lockers work fine - and add considerably to their 80's ability. I had a True Trac auto locker in a Toyota mini pkup - but that's another story. I was tempted when re-rearing to save some bucks by installing an auto locker in the rear and a Harrop in the front - until I came to my senses. An auto locker would not work for me - not in the winter. I agree, shorter wheel based rigs are more affected and are just not as stable - in any conditions - as longer wheel based rigs. Years ago, my father-in-law had a '68 Bronco with a Detroit locker in the rear. He hated driving it on icy roads. I have to laugh remembering him cussing - trying to get out of his driveway north of Spokane, WA when their FWD Honda had no problem at all.:rofl:

And this is the problem with your opinion, you have never driven one with an auto locker but read some stuff and talked to some people. I owned one and drove it for years in all kinds of weather. Every pre traction control vehicle will be sketchy on ice,

I won't be doing much if any serious crawling. I was thinking about a TruTrac for the rear and a harrop for the front for an "oh s***" moment.
The most I'd be really towing is a fishing boat. More of a Hunt, fish, camp rig setup.

Sounds like a winch might be a better investment than lockers, unless you are tearing into the diffs for some reason then by all means add them.

As for the auto locker in the rear I won't wade too much into that debate since I don't have first hand experience, however from what I've read they actually work surprisingly well for the 80 series due to the AWD, longer wheelbase and automatic transmission. Worst case they are only $300, you can throw on in and if its too annoying or doesn't meet your needs then swap it back out for the stock setup or go with a selectable locker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom