locker actuator rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That’s likely the detection switch on the housing.
When it's flashing there is a call for engagement from the switch but not yet engaged. The switch inside the diff housing is activated when the locker yoke actually moves the locker sleeve into lock position. AFIR.

When it's flashing there is a call for engagement from the switch but not yet engaged. The switch inside the diff housing is activated when the locker yoke actually moves the locker sleeve into lock position. AFIR.
What is weird is I can tell the axle is actually locked even though it still flashes for a few min. wonder if its just not sliding on all the way?

Also if I engage both F/R the front will go solid while rear still flashes even though all are actually locked

What is weird is I can tell the axle is actually locked even though it still flashes for a few min. wonder if its just not sliding on all the way?

Also if I engage both F/R the front will go solid while rear still flashes even though all are actually locked
Have you done the procedure to ensure the actuator rod is positioned correctly? It's possible it's off a little and not going over enough to trigger the position switch but still enough to lock the diff. Also possible the position switch is bad.

Have you done the procedure to ensure the actuator rod is positioned correctly? It's possible it's off a little and not going over enough to trigger the position switch but still enough to lock the diff. Also possible the position switch is bad.
I have not. Wasn’t aware such a procedure existed. Not sure how it could get messed up? Only thing I’ve done back there is a rear axle service to replace the seals. Will check that out, thank you!

The light blinking or not is just an indicator of the state of the of the locker. It’s not part of the control side of the circuit.

I’d just replace the switch, they fail like this all the time, mainly from lack of use.

The light blinking or not is just an indicator of the state of the of the locker. It’s not part of the control side of the circuit.

I’d just replace the switch, they fail like this all the time, mainly from lack of use.
If the blinking light is not a waiting to engage indicator what is it? A motor winding up indicator?

that light is an unreliable indicator that the diff is locked. If it's solid the diff is locked and if it's blinking it still may be locked, or not. The reliability of that light being accurate comes down to the switch. From lack of use the contacts in the switch corrode and make for a very bad connection and fail to accurately indicate a locked position.

The OP says that he as confirmed that the diff is locked but the light is still blinking. In my experience it's the switch.

I have not. Wasn’t aware such a procedure existed. Not sure how it could get messed up? Only thing I’ve done back there is a rear axle service to replace the seals. Will check that out, thank you!
The timing procedure starts on post #27 of this thread. I'd probably trust what Landtank is saying about the switch though and try replacing that first. Much easier to do.

The timing procedure starts on post #27 of this thread. I'd probably trust what Landtank is saying about the switch though and try replacing that first. Much easier to do.
ya for sure, thank you for the tip!

I had an hour long drive this morning which is when I do some of my best pondering.

Pull the switch out and check the position of the ramped tab that triggers it. It should be close to the center of the hole.

That should indicate if the actuator is fully engaged or not.

I had an hour long drive this morning which is when I do some of my best pondering.

Pull the switch out and check the position of the ramped tab that triggers it. It should be close to the center of the hole.

That should indicate if the actuator is fully engaged or not.
Excellent, thank you sir!

I appreciate that. I brought out the ruler and went to the internet to search. The brush comes in at 4mm x 4mm. Not sure if the original length due to mine having some wear in them and carbon is soft. Mine at the moment is 7mm This one on Amazon is 4mm x 4mm x 10 mm. If I have to I’ll shave a little off the front with a razor blade. If these don’t work I’ll hit you up.

View attachment 3017029
Update….so I ended up going to a store that specializes in carbon brushes. The ones from Amazon are a little too small. Was a little sloppy in the brush housing for my liking. Seems like the actual measurement is closer to 5mm. The brushes I got from the store were a little too big to fit into the brush housing so i sanded them down to fit. Wired it all back up. Tested the actuator with a 9v battery. Nothing. Opened it back up checked all my connections. Verified all good. Closed it back up. 9v again. Nothing. Any ideas why my actuator is not turning anymore? Oh and the actuator is on my workbench testing it. Also never took apart the gear and spring in the actuator itself. Just removed it to clean and apply new grease.

Last edited:
Update….so I ended up going to a store that specializes in carbon brushes. The ones from Amazon are a little too small. Was a little sloppy in the brush housing for my liking. Seems like the actual measurement is closer to 5mm. The brushes I got from the store were a little too big to fit into the brush housing so i sanded them down to fit. Wired it all back up. Tested the actuator with a 9v battery. Nothing. Opened it back up checked all my connections. Verified all good. Closed it back up. 9v again. Nothing. Any ideas why my actuator is not turning anymore? Oh and the actuator is on my workbench testing it. Also never took apart the gear and spring in the actuator itself. Just removed it to clean and apply new grease.
I was never able to get mine to move with the smaller batteries. I think the FSM says to use 1.5v, which is a AA. I've always had to use jumper wires off the car battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom