locker actuator rebuild (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice post; FTFY;inserted a breathe or two

I just finished rebuilding the rear actuator on my 96 FJZ80 LC.

Before you begin, do your research. There are several links here that are invaluable.

Here is one: rear e-locker actuator rebuild pics. There are others that will come in handy, particularly the ones that address clocking the actuator.

Here are some of the things I found in order of disassembly:
Use a reliable rust buster on the nuts and bolts holding the shield on.
Use of 6 point sockets is advised.
There are two 14 mm nuts and one 12 mm bolt holding on the shield.
Once the shield is off, remove the electical plug bracket and vent tube.
Next, remove the cover on the rear diff for the actuator plunger.
The bolt holding the plunger to the locker linkage has factory installed thread locker)

Main Housing

When removing the spring/gearcase cover, use plenty of rust buster. Be careful when placing the housing in a vice so you don't damage it. (I broke one bolt in the case disassembling the spring cover.)

Take your time. When removing the cover, you may find that the aluminum around the seal has corroded and some of the case will disintegrate when you split the cases. For this reason, I used an adhesive sealant (Permatex Right Stuff) to seal the gear case and motor cover. New O rings will not seal if the sealing edge has corroded.

Almost all of my problems were in the clocking springs and gear shaft. The springs were rusted and clogged, the gears were seized up(the shaft had stuck on both ends. Remove the gears, springs and shaft as a unit. Try rotating the shaft and springs both clockwise and counter clockwise, the springs should rotate both directions smoothly. The upper spring bracket had seized in the upper cover on mine.

After assembling, I could hear the motor run but the worm shaft would not move. Took the gear cover back off and realized that the spring bracket seized to the case bushing as well as the big and small gears. I would encourage you to disassemble the gear shaft, gears and springs. A thorough cleaning, rust removal and lubricating of the springs, gears and bushings in the housing will make things work so much better.

When reassembling the small gear onto the shaft, make sure to install the shoulder on the small gear against the large gear. This spaces the smaller gear against the motor worm gear correctly. If you install it backwards it will not make the correct contact and could eat the gear up.

Check for a pic of the correct clocking alignment for the springs and gears. This is crucial to the operation of the actuator as the gear controls the on/off and reverse operation of the acturator and will not work correctly if you install it unclocked.

Electric Motor

The electric motor cover is the toughest part to remove. We had to PB blast and Vice Grip the phillips head screws to get them off. I used socket head stainless screws as replacements. Once you get the motor cover bolts out, most likely you will notice that some of the motor cover aluminum has turned to powder and will come off when the motor cover is removed. Pry gently all the way around.

I found two of my magnets had come unbonded. I checked the other two and used JB weld to reattach the magnets to the case. If you have ever fiddled with brushes and springs, they are not a big deal. Just be careful if the end of the armature comes out and the brushes spring out. If you are not careful, the springs will leave the brush mounts and disappear forever. I can attest to this. If you do lose the springs, use your imagineation. You can use the springs off of a harbor freight grinder(or drill or other like electrical device) or use ball point pen springs. I found one that wasn't too stiff and cut it in half. Make sure that the cut springs will fit in the brush housing.

Once you get the brushes in place, carefully tuck the wires aournd the brush holder to keep them in place and insert the armature.

It is impossible to guess what is causing your acuator to operate so keep an open mind and do all the research you can before taking one out and trying to repair it. Some units failed due to electrical issues, some because of mechanical issues. Mine had both. It is a GREAT feeling to get it installed and hear it actually operate!

!!!Caution!!!

When rebuilding the locker. If you are regluing the magnets. DO NOT put adhesive on the back of the magnet that touches the housing. ONLY put adhesive on the bottom of the magnet. ANY additional space between the housing and the magnet (created by the adhesive) will ruin the motor. The space tolerance between the magnet and the [part that spins] is extremely tight.

Reactions: b16
Good Point. I used J B Weld on the end facing the motor bushing and put two small dabs on the back and spread them thin. The clearances are pretty tight but as long as you don't glob your epoxy on the back side, you should be good to go.

I also put JB weld on the back of my magnets and I thought it was thinking enough. I mean it was paper thin but that was too much so I think landtank's photo is likely the best reference for how to do it.

I mean, mine was THIN.

TESTING

How I test them is to set the truck up with the CDL in the locked position and the locker switch turned off.

With the key in the off position I plug one of the actuators in and then have someone turn the key to the on position.

Since both actuators are in their centered position they should turn on and rotate to their unlocked position.

For the rear actuator this would be with the shaft fully retracted.

For the front actuator the gear should turn counter clockwise as you look at it straight on

For the front actuator, this is not just testing. This is how you must install because after you do the test, you need to turn the diff switch and lock the actuator prior to the install. For the rear you can sort of screw with it and get it right, for the front you cant. If you do not follow the procedure and you engage your front locker, it may not come off again.

I pulled my rear actuator and found it full of sand. the actuator is not coming apart for me, not sure what i'm doing wrong or if it is just stuck because of the grime and sand.

IMG_1911-X2.jpg

after an overnight soaking in penetrating oil the gear assembly is still stuck inside. I can wiggle it from side to side a bit but it won't lift out. any ideas?

IMG_1918-X2.jpg

Be cautious but use some force. Once the gear on the cover is off its just held by friction.

Be cautious but use some force. Once the gear on the cover is off its just held by friction.
Whoops thought this was the front. Still just held by friction but the armature may run into stoppers (ithink) if you uust move side to side. Also the worm drive too, will stop it from moving side to side, so pull that motor out and watch out you don't lose the springs.

Whoops thought this was the front. Still just held by friction but the armature may run into stoppers (ithink) if you uust move side to side. Also the worm drive too, will stop it from moving side to side, so pull that motor out and watch out you don't lose the springs.
Thanks, I’ll give that a try.

I managed to remove the gear assembly, it was really full of grime down in the base so lots of wiggling back and forth did the trick. Is the worm gear/motor assembly held on by any screws? it won't just come out so i'm assuming it's grimed in there too.

IMG_1919-X2.jpg

IMG_1923-X2.jpg

Great info here. Besides the price, what is the disadvantage of just replacing with a new OEM/Aisin actuator?

Every time I look at this thread I shudder. My lockers work well. These pics make me terrified to open them up. What is the cost of new actuator motors?

Every time I look at this thread I shudder. My lockers work well. These pics make me terrified to open them up. What is the cost of new actuator motors?

Best I've seen either OEM or Aisin (I believe made OEM toyota brand) is $445. Not cheap, but given the complexity of the rebuild, it may be worth it, especially seeing the pics here.

I bought and installed new ones from Toyota.

IMG-1506 (1).JPG

I also swapped out for a fresh new OEM front locker wiring harness. Would've done rears, but NLA.

I bought and installed new ones from Toyota.

View attachment 1969515

I also swapped out for a fresh new OEM front locker wiring harness. Would've done rears, but NLA.
Any issues installing? I’m about to do this with the rear on a 191k 97 80 series.

For those lurking on this topic (like me) it looks like Aisin also makes the diff actuator motors and they are readily available and a couple hundred dollars cheaper than the Toyota ones.
Front Diff Actuator Motor - Toyota Part No. 41450-60060 - Aisin Part No. SAT-002
Rear Diff Actuator Motor - Toyota Part No. 41450-60042 - Aisin Part No. SAT-001

In each case, you'll find the Aisin motors are a couple hundred dollars cheaper, and all four motors appear readily available online as of May 2019.

These motors are not cheap! Even buying the F&R in the Aisin flavor is going to set you back about $850 before taxes and shipping. Ouch! Maybe I'll try to rebuild mine if they start to act up. Those prices are pretty steep for my pocket book.

Have a Semi functioning rear locker, that for sure worked properly prior to purchase; but has been a little slow to grab n lock lately when I’ve checked. I’m not sure that it’s just tipped over from functioning to current or what, but I’m very glad this thread is in here. This thread makes you scared to open it up and check tho after seeing some of those pics, plenty of good information and details to take the sting out of wanted to check it for myself tho, thanks for the help dudes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom