Rear locker issue (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a weird rear locker issue going on. The rear locker will not lock in but the actuator is working and the position sensor is new. Today I placed the vehicle on jackstands with all four wheels in the air. Key in the on position (car not running), low range, center diff locked. Turn switch hear actuator run and rear wheels spin opposite direction. Turn switch to front lockers and the front locks correctly. I cycled the switch and rotated the tires several times with no change.

Is there away to see if the locker is hanging up before completing the cycle without removing the actuator? And if not how do I go about removing it since it is supposed to be locked before removal? I have a new actuator but this one is "running" for lack of a better word.

Give it a few love taps with a rubber mallet.

If the light is just flashing, pull the indicator switch back out and you can watch the rod move.

If you dont have anyone to help, you can use a 9 volt, do a quick search, theres a couple write ups on how to do it.

Take the inspection plate off the thing that the position sensor screws into.
Then you can see if the actuator is actually moving or you can take the bolt out of the collar slide the collar over and lock the differential manually.
It’s one of the greatest things about the OEM lockers you can manually lock it.

OK thanks for the tips. When I get back under it I'll look at removing the sensor and cover.

Forgot to send that last post. Anyway I have the sensor and inspection plate removed. Had my wife (gotta love country women) run the switch to see if anything moved, no dice. Looks like the rod is seized inplace. So you are saying to remove the bolt that holds the rod and then I'll be able to slide the collar over to lock it? Then it's safe to remove the actuator correct?

Forgot to send that last post. Anyway I have the sensor and inspection plate removed. Had my wife (gotta love country women) run the switch to see if anything moved, no dice. Looks like the rod is seized inplace. So you are saying to remove the bolt that holds the rod and then I'll be able to slide the collar over to lock it? Then it's safe to remove the actuator correct?
Yes that’s correct, you need a screwdriver or small pry bar to apply pressure on the collar while rotating the tire to get the clogs to line up.

Got that sucker out. Shaft still spun freely so I'm not sure what's up with it. I've got a new one I've had for years to replace it and I'll repair this one for a spare later. Thanks for all the help.

20240208_225430.jpg

20240208_225421.jpg

Put the new one in a few days later and locks it up fast now. Very easy to replace and I should have done this sooner. Thanks for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom