LOCAL Resources for Service, Parts, Tools, Supplies, Services Etc. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've always taken my cars to Baird automotive. Its located across from the Virginia Square DMV. Hes an honest guy and will flat out tell you not to do something if he thinks its not an issue and he will stand by his work if there are any issues. He is very knowledgeable and I've always had good service there. I'm going to him when I get my timing belt done soon and highly recommend him to anyone looking for a good honest mechanic.

I think I remember (yet another senior moment) seeing a sign at the Ace Hardware in Ffx City where they have in stock and can cut keys with chips. The price seemed inexpensive but I didn’t read the fine print.
Good luck.
Indeed, they say they can... I will check them out and find out about their capabilities/limitations.

Please report back with your findings.

Looking for a local place to get my spare 5th Gen 4runner key cut... for a REASONABLE COST. Otherwise, i'd just go to the dealer and bend over,
Sidebar: My 2000 470 only came with the valet key. The only bad thing is that it doesn't open the tailgate. Anybody know if that's a chipped key? I'm fine with a copy of it if it avoids buying Lexus keys and figuring out the Techstream procedure. No way in hell I'm paying Lexus for a couple master keys.

OK, honestly, I guess it's chipped if that's required to start the engine. The valet just doesn't open the tailgate or the glovebox. My point being I don't wanna have to buy a chipped key from Lexus , if needed, if it can be avoided. I have research to do. Our local Lexus dealer is only friendly to people who own new cars or cars they want to take in trade. Tried to charge Sarah $60 for a 1996 key (and we wanted 4 of them!)

I used NOVAC Lock to cut and program 2 Durango key a couple years ago for $75. I bought the keys separate.

Sidebar: My 2000 470 only came with the valet key. The only bad thing is that it doesn't open the tailgate. Anybody know if that's a chipped key? I'm fine with a copy of it if it avoids buying Lexus keys and figuring out the Techstream procedure. No way in hell I'm paying Lexus for a couple master keys.
I will likely program my keys with tech stream and a laptop... If'n you are interested in programing, or if it can be done with yours.

Looking for a local place to get my spare 5th Gen 4runner key cut... for a REASONABLE COST. Otherwise, i'd just go to the dealer and bend over,

I don't know if this applies to 5th Gen 4Runners but I asked Toyota dealer at Tysons to cut me a key for a 3rd Gen 4Runner and the new guy started to sell me an expensive Toyota branded key. I told him last time they cut me a keys, Marvin the other parts guy there, gave me a choice between the Toyota key and the generic which was way less. The newer guy asked Marvin and then I was able to purchase the cheaper key. If 5th Gen 4Runners have a chip, that may be a different story. Also Arlington Lock in Falls Church made a well cut keys for our Lexus LX450.

I don't know if this applies to 5th Gen 4Runners but I asked Toyota dealer at Tysons to cut me a key for a 3rd Gen 4Runner and the new guy started to sell me an expensive Toyota branded key. I told him last time they cut me a keys, Marvin the other parts guy there, gave me a choice between the Toyota key and the generic which was way less. The newer guy asked Marvin and then I was able to purchase the cheaper key. If 5th Gen 4Runners have a chip, that may be a different story. Also Arlington Lock in Falls Church made a well cut keys for our Lexus LX450.
I have the chipped key in hand. I just need it cut and to program it.

I have the chipped key in hand. I just need it cut and to program it.

I don't know if this is relevant to your type of key but from a review I saw on Google of Arlington Lock:

"I highly recommend using Arlington Lock for your automotive locksmith needs!

Recently my 2008 Toyota Highlander smart key fob stopped working and I only had one for my vehicle. I called the local Toyota dealership, which quoted $249 for a new key fob + an additional $150 to program the smart key to my vehicle. With a little research online I found that it is possible to purchase a used Toyota smart key online and an automotive locksmith can program the smart key fob to your vehicle.

I called Arlington Lock prior to purchasing the used key fob just to verify they would be able to program a used smart key fob and they confirmed this is possible. I purchased a used smart key fob from Ebay for $129 and went to Arlington Lock yesterday. Arlington Lock charged me $85 and after 20 minutes they had the key programmed to my Highlander and it works perfectly.

I saved almost $200 by purchasing a used smart key fob and I cannot be more happy with the service provided by Arlington Lock. They were very knowledgeable and professional!"

If you have the original master key you can buy a used fob and have a key cut. Then you can use the master key to have your car program the fob. Theres always been a procedure similar to this and thats probably what Arlington Lock did for you. I got a used fob for my GS300 and programmed it using a similar method.

If you have the original master key you can buy a used fob and have a key cut. Then you can use the master key to have your car program the fob. Theres always been a procedure similar to this and thats probably what Arlington Lock did for you. I got a used fob for my GS300 and programmed it using a similar method.
I don't know if this works for 5th Gen 4runners... I've read about this on the 4th gens, like your link.

Looking for any recommendations of a shop (or person) close in NoVA (sounds like @Tikicruiser might be good as I'm in Alexandria, also) that can help me go through the '78 I just bought to make sure there are no immediate safety/mechanical concerns.

Sounds like @OTRAMM is a popular choice but have young twins and can only get away for so long on the weekends. Is Overland 4x4 in Alexandria respected?

Thanks in advance

Fair enough:rofl:...came from Arizona. Need to get some OE wheels on it and a few other things cosmetic things. Needs a good wash, wax, clay bar, and polish. Here's the only photo I have for now. More to come, for sure

Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 10.40.47 PM.png

No answers without pictures! Where'd you pick this 40 up?

Congrats on the purchase!
I'd have a look at it... I wouldn't put myself in the same league as @OTRAMM. But I do have 22 years experience with my 40, a DIY frame off resto that still looks decent, and several, some what complicated, modifications under my belt that should qualify me to give you a solid assessment of the current condition of your Cruiser and to provide advice on options for the way forward.
The links in my sig line have examples of my work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom