LOCAL Resources for Service, Parts, Tools, Supplies, Services Etc. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just swap head units. He's got an OEM that I want and I have an Alpine that he wants. Both trucks are 2018s and had/have the Entune Premium Audio with nav.

Anyone know of a good car audio shop in the Fairfax/Springfield area? Or know of someone who does this kind of work on the side?
Depends on what you are trying to do...

Head unit swap in not going to be hard.

Just swap head units. He's got an OEM that I want and I have an Alpine that he wants. Both trucks are 2018s and had/have the Entune Premium Audio with nav.

Most of these are plug and play now, will be one of the easier truck projects that you do

Most of these are plug and play now, will be one of the easier truck projects that you do

2X!! The hardest part is removing the plastic around the radio. Go to Harbor Freight and get the plastic tools.

Hi all,

New to the forum and the LC/LX world. Just picked up a 2003 LX470 from the south. Unfortunately, looks like I have a hefty LC tax to pay as I live in the People's Republic of Maryland and their inspection process has flagged a couple of things I need to address before I can get state inspection to pass. In particular, the power steering rack has a minor leak and seeping so that needs to be replaced. Also, seems both front wheel bearings are loose so need to be replaced/repacked. and finally the left CV axel boot is leaking.

Any recommendations on where I can get this work done? I live in Montgomery County but open to going to Northern VA to get this stuff done right.

Thanks!

Hi all,

New to the forum and the LC/LX world. Just picked up a 2003 LX470 from the south. Unfortunately, looks like I have a hefty LC tax to pay as I live in the People's Republic of Maryland and their inspection process has flagged a couple of things I need to address before I can get state inspection to pass. In particular, the power steering rack has a minor leak and seeping so that needs to be replaced. Also, seems both front wheel bearings are loose so need to be replaced/repacked. and finally the left CV axel boot is leaking.

Any recommendations on where I can get this work done? I live in Montgomery County but open to going to Northern VA to get this stuff done right.

Thanks!
Welcome! :flipoff2:
Our go to Toyota mechanic is @OTRAMM, though he is in Bealton, VA (near Warrenton). He knows Toyotas and does great work. There may be a good mech in your area, but I'll let the MD crew chime in on that. @Betteron2wheels, @dbug ?

I hade the same issue with the steering rack on my 100. I got it to pass by adding (per @OTRAMM's recommendation) some Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak and then using some black RTV to seal the ends of the CV boots. When you price out the cost of replacing the steering rack, this becomes a very viable option.

Hey Guys!

Anyone near Kilroy's has a Techstream I could hook up to?

Hi all,

Thanks!

I don't know if you fixed it yet but check out Hanagan's Tire in Gaithersburg, MD; I always use them for mounting tires but they do everything. I've also used them for brake work. You can source your own parts and have them install it for you.
This is the only other place I would take my truck if I can't do it, or can't get it to OTRAMM.
Where did you get your inspection at?

Good luck!

I don't know if you fixed it yet but check out Hanagan's Tire in Gaithersburg, MD; I always use them for mounting tires but they do everything. I've also used them for brake work. You can source your own parts and have them install it for you.
This is the only other place I would take my truck if I can't do it, or can't get it to OTRAMM.
Where did you get your inspection at?

Good luck!
I have used Hanagan's before for tires - good to know they know cruisers as well. Got the inspection done at Rockville Auto Clinic.

Anyone know of a shop that would be able to fix and refinish to top of a hard shell RTT?

Anyone know of a shop that would be able to fix and refinish to top of a hard shell RTT?
I'm guessing it's fiberglass? If so, you're probably best served by a boat shop that does fiberglass repair.
ABS and you're probably SOL.

I have a 20 ton press but its extremely heavy so you'd need to bring over what you need pressed out. For ball joints I would recommend that you buy this or "rent" one from advance auto with a deposit (that you'll be fully refunded when you return it) since they work better than a press and you can do it on the car. Presses work better for bushings in my experience

well... so these aren't supposed to serviceable from toyota since they rather sell you an entire upper control arm. but these are the right ball joints from japan for the upper control arms and people are using presses to get them out and back in ...

I hear you but they're constructed the same as arms that are serviceable so the process is the same. I would recommend that you start by trying to use the ball joint removal tool I linked before going to a press. Even with a press, you still need the set of installation adapters, receiving tubes, installation cups, and removal cups (unless you diy some janky adapters which is not the best idea) that come with the ball joint tool in order to remove and reinstall the ball joints in a press. The tool is also easier to align than a press because you can do it on the car so you don't need 4 hands to hold things in the right places until they're tightened. With a press, because there is no feedback on how tight something is, its super easy to bend the edges or area around the joint when they're not aligned and you won't even realize it (especially so when removing bushings). If you're really worried soak the outside of the ball joints in PB blaster for a few days leading up to pressing. I tried both a press and the tool when I did the lower control arms on my old CR-V and the tool was a lot easier to use.

Just my 2 cents but if you try it and you're still stuck you're welcome to come over and use the press that I have and I can try and help you out if we find a free weekend. Cool rig and Instagram by the way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom