Builds LEXpedition Overland Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Let me know if I can take pics of anything
Will do. Got the drivers side on, just need to cut and re-attach the running board.

Will do. Got the drivers side on, just need to cut and re-attach the running board.
Garden snips coping saw oscillating tool. I screwed mine up with a coping saw (black trim and black marking pen)

Hey neighbors! I’m just off of Hillsboro and Berry’s Chapel. <thread crash over>

Cool, maybe we should have a little Franklin gathering in the near future.

Drivers side complete:

BF2EDF9E-93B9-4F87-9E10-86A119F833F4.jpeg

Well, I got both sliders installed. I'm hoping to do an "install" thread but just haven't had the time to do it yet. Pretty happy with them so far. Can't really review the functionality because I haven't had a chance to scrape any paint off yet. The install is pretty involved, due mostly to the number and location of all of the bolts you need to remove from the AHC system so you can slide the part that attaches to the frame behind the AHC.

I did something that I regretted very soon after. Prior to the install, I did an undercoating treatment with Woolswax because I had seen some minor surface rust on the frame. Nothing too serious but I was trying to be thoughtful and apply that stuff before bolting a bunch of the stuff to the frame that would make it harder to treat later. The end result was that everything I touched under the truck was now greasy (which is the purpose of the Woolswax) and a pain to work with. In hindsight, what I should treated just the area of the frame that would be covered, do the install, go back and do the rest of the truck later.

Also, did another oil change over the weekend. Am really glad I installed the Fumoto drain valve. Zero mess from the drain. Attach a hose, put the other end in the collection tub, open the valve. Simple as that.

Starting to think about my next mods. Considering some "real" skid plates but not sure.

Long time, no build.....sorta. Been busy trying to stay COVID-free and dealing with parental health issues. Now that things have settle down a bit, I can share what's been going on and future plans.

1. Trying to come up with a good name for my truck. Was thinking Sexi Lexi but that may just be too cutesy. Just can't see myself showing up for a trail ride with a that on my personalized license plate. ;) Open to suggestions.
  2. Had to replace a stuck brake caliper over the summer. Forgot to mention that on here. Fortunately, the issue popped up a week before a 12 hour road trip, and not on the road trip. May have caused a fire because it was HOT when I discovered it after a 20-minute drive.
  3. Not much in the way of "new" stuff for the truck other than a new Thule kayak rack to hold our new kayaks, which I'm very excited about.
  4. I did purchase some official MaxTrax (not the extreme ones). I know there are much cheaper ones that do as good a job but I only wanted to buy these once and the MT's seem to hold up better to abuse.
Future plans, which I'm also VERY excited about. My son will be graduating next spring and like I did for his older sister, I'll be taking him on a trip. With her it was a fly out to California and explore San Francisco, Alcatraz, Yosemite, Bodie ghost town, Death Valley (124 degrees!), Trona Pinnacles, Sequoia, and Santa Cruz while staying in hotels.

My son's trip, however, will be different, he's agreed to my evil plan of driving my truck out to Utah and Colorado to do some overlanding and sightseeing. Tentatively we are planning to hit Monument Valley, Moab/Canyonlands/Arches, Imogene Pass, Bachelor Loop, and a few others. Additionally, we might rent som Ute's in Moab as well as some fly fishing and downhill mountain biking in Colorado.

So, in order to prep for that trip, I've gotten permission to start outfitting the truck some more. Below is the list of things I want to do or install over the next 6 months:
  1. Prinsu roof rack (arrives in a week, fingers crossed).
  2. Light bar on the new rack - going super Amazon cheap ($45) and getting a Nilight 42" for now. Can invest more later if I need to.
  3. Roof top tent - leaning towards CVT hybrid Shasta right now. Black Friday sale is great price for a RTT that folds out like a soft shell but has a hard top with crossbars that will hold 150#. Not planning on putting a lot of extra weight on top for the long trip next summer but it will be nice to be able to put the kayaks up there for when the wife and I want to take a weekend somewhere.
  4. Skid plates - leaning towards ARB due to the price and the fact that I'm planning on doing SERIOUS rock climbing
  5. Front bumper.....maybe. Need something to hold a winch. I just can't find one that I like that is affordable. For me personally, I don't like the ARB's because they are just overkill for what I want. I love the Dissent and Trail Tailor but they are very hard to get and expensive as well. Considering the Trail Tailor hidden winch option and keep factory bumper but worried that it will be money down the drain if I tear up the bumper and have to replace it anyway.
  6. Winch - leaning towards the X-bull due mostly to price and fairly decent reviews. It's not something I'm going to be using a ton and most places I'm going to should have enough traffic that I can get some help if it completely fails me and I'm truly desperate. If I were traveling to the middle of New Foundland with no one around for a hundred miles, I'd probably invest in a Warn or Comeup.
  7. Rear bumper/Swingout - leaning towards a Wilco swingout tire carrier if I feel like I need to get the spare out from under the truck as well as add some gas can/MaxTrax carrying capability.
  8. Fridge - Once again, I think I'll be going the modest route here and sticking with a Costway or Alpicool from Amazon due to the price and the limited amount of time I'll be using it. If I were going overlanding full-time or every weekend, I'd invest in an Engel, ARB, Dometic, etc.
  9. Power Supply - Haven't done enough research here to say what I'm going to do but tentatively thinking about some kind of portable power station like a Jackery along with a solar panel.
  10. Interior Storage/Sleeping Platform - Doing my research on drawers currently. Probably going to build it DIY to get what I want. Ideally, it'll be easy to install/remove when needed. Also, want half of it to be at the same height as the middle seat folded down so I can create a sleeping platform for those times when it's just me and I've taken the RTT off the truck. Also, between my son at 6'1"/195# and myself 6'4"/200#, the RTT may be crowded and it might be better to split the sleeping arrangement up.
Non-regular maintenance I'm thinking about doing prior to the trip:
  1. Battery - Want to upgrade the battery since my Lexus OEM is getting long in the tooth anyway. Thinking probably a Decka group 31.
  2. Brakes - Thinking about replacing the rotors and pads before the trip since I think the rotors may be a little warped. I'll wait until next spring to do that though.
  3. Radiator - I do have the infamous hairline crack. It was not yet leaking so I applied the JB Weld patch on top and it's held to this point. However, before heading out west, I think I'll want to replace the whole thing and associated other items (water pump, hoses, etc.) while in there.
If you made this far in the post, I'm impressed. Open to any suggestions, ideas, tips on the truck, or the itenerary.

of portable pow
  1. Interior Storage/Sleeping Platform - Doing my research on drawers currently. Probably going to build it DIY to get what I want. Ideally, it'll be easy to install/remove when needed. Also, want half of it to be at the same height as the middle seat folded down so I can create a sleeping platform for those times when it's just me and I've taken the RTT off the truck. Also, between my son at 6'1"/195# and myself 6'4"/200#, the RTT may be crowded and it might be better to split the sleeping arrangement up.

FWIW the ARB drawers are the EXACT height as the 2nd row folded flat, and that makes for one nice sleeping platform. I’m 6’5” 230 and I fit well - spent many a night above 13k feet in the back of my truck with all of my SAR gear, my camping gear, and my ARB fridge. Now if this were for two people and/or longer K9 mission type thing that space would be getting mighty tight.

That sounds awesome. I'd love to do that kind of thing with my kids.

One observation is that several of your choices are at the low end of the price/quality spectrum.

That might be fine for the getting the "look" of an off-road rig, but might be a penny wise, pound foolish choice when you are let down on a trail because you cut corners on the build.

The ones that jump out at me are the skid plates, winch, & bumper. Cutting corners there could lead to damage that costs more than the money saved in the build. A good quality set of skid plates, winch or bumper, could literallly save your once in a lifetime trip with your son.

Low end gear might be fine for a trip or two, or getting the right aesthetics for the mall run, but it sounds like you are contemplating some real off-roading. Why chance it?

Finding that balance of not spending a fortune while still getting something that won't fail you when you need it most is the balancing act when we don't have unlimited built budgets. I struggle with this every time I buy something for my vehicles. When it matters, I try to err toward getting the better (perhaps subjective) option, when I can swing it.

Another way I look at some of this stuff is like buying insurance. Paying a bit more up front can avoid major losses down the line. A good set of skids is a whole lot less costly than a new engine, a good set of sliders is cheaper than the typical body repair, etc.

This all depends on the type of wheeling you do. But having done some difficult rated trails, I question the need for underarmor skids on the LX.

With a combination of larger tires, sensor lift, AHC high - the lifts can be prodigious into the 4.5-7" range. Humping rocks just doesn't really happen at those heights unless boulder crawling, which to be fair some people do.

The only liability I find off-road these days is departure angle but with some caution can generally be avoided.

Thanks for the info about the ARB's @MrCWineMan !

I agree with a lot of what you say @CharlieS and don't disagree with anything if that makes sense. Normally, I'm a buy once, cry once kind of person and enjoy the confidence of having GREAT protection versus the stress of worrying if the line I'm about to take could cost me thousands. However, to @TeCKis300 's point, I'm not planning on doing any serious bouldering and I haven't heard anything terrible about the ARB skids. I have heard that there are better options, like the BudBuilt ones but that is probably going to be more than I need. If I get more into hardcore driving, I can look to invest more and consider the ARB's a "loss".

Regarding the aesthetics, sure, I want the truck to look "cool" but I'm getting rid of the 20" rims and invested in 17's as well as invested heavily in Metal Tech sliders before I start doing anything I would consider aesthetic. I wanted There is nothing cool looking about a truck stuck in the mud because they are driving 22's and low-profile mud terrains which I see a lot of around my area:

It makes me think of putting a spoiler on a Ford Festiva:
1606510265293.png

Now, after saying that it's not about aesthetics, I'm going to talk about appearances. It's my opinion, but I just don't like the look of the bumpers with the big bull bar such as the ARB's. Do you feel the Dissent and Trail Tailor options are not up to snuff? I do prefer the more slim-lined look and if they provide the same functionality, then it's ok to be swayed by the looks, right? ;)

Also, I'm my budget is NOT infinite and I realize that some of what I get may not stand the test of time but I also don't know what kind of Overlanding I'm going to do in the future so I don't want to invest too much on something that I might never use. I DO appreciate all your input and your taking the time to read my lengthy post. Depending on if I can find savings elsewhere or win the lottery, I may rethink a few things, particularly in the protection area.

It's hard to believe it's been only a year since I got my LX back from the shop after a Camry driver decided had plenty of time to turn in front of me.

Before:
1608009143854.png

After:
1608009863974.png

Fortunately, no one was hurt and the LX handled it like a champ. In fact, I was shocked at how much damage there was when I got out because it felt like I barely tapped his rear bumper. However, as they say, "You should see the other guy!"

Anyway, I got it back a year ago yesterday and that is when my modding adventure began. Up to this point, I've now become much more comfortable in mechanical work and willing to take on pretty much any repair or task, especially with all the 200 series members having my back! Thank you to everyone, especially @grinchy and @TeCKis300 who seem to be leading me (willingly) down the rabbit hole.

I got my Prinsu rack installed last week and have been very happy with the lack of noise. I'll get a picture(sneak peek above with Christmas lights) of it as soon as I get done installing the LED lightbar in my garage. Also, my ARB skids should be arriving this week, and planning on installing them soon.

Seriously considering a DIY build of a drawer system similar to the GearUpAirDown system. I just have a hard time swallowing the price for the drawer systems by ARB and others and even the GDAU system is more than I'm willing to pay for some better storage. If I were Overlanding full time or going out every weekend, perhaps but I'm not so the cost is not justified to me. I'm willing to pay a few hundred for materials and have fun building something almost as functional.

Looking forward to getting these next couple of mods installed and testing them out in a couple of weeks on a ride with the Southeast Toyota LCA.

Hello all,

Just starting out with my 2011 LX570. I'm hoping to build a rig that will take me (and my wife and/or kids occasionally) on some great adventures. I will not be building a rock crawler or mudder. Simply something that is reliable and will get to those places that are off the beaten path. I suspect this project will take several years due to time and budgetary constraints. The end game for me is that over the next few years I will learn:
  • Enough about my vehicle to be able to repair most things myself
  • Overlanding skills sufficient to provide for efficient travel and camping
  • What equipment is, and more importantly perhaps, what equipment is NOT necessary for long term overlanding
  • Non-overlanding skills that will help ensure enjoyable experiences. Things like kayaking, fishing, hiking, mountain biking.
I want to retire in 10 years or less and I want to have experience building the right rig and skills for my travels post-retirement.

Currently, my rig is completely stock (see below) with the exception of the remote starter I installed myself.

I'm planning on getting some new rims and tires in the next week or two. My choices are the Icon Six Speed 17" rims and the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT, LT285/70R17. I know this is not the most aggressive AT tire out there but I think for the next several years, 98% of the time the tires will be on a paved road and I've heard these tires behave well and are quieter than most AT's.

My next MOD will be the license plate "LXPDTION".

The name of my build thread is a nod to the folks over at Expedition Overland. Watching their series on Amazon really re-ignited a burning desire for adventure that I'd long buried to raise kids and build a career.

Thank you for checking in on me.

View attachment 2234125

View attachment 2234126
Hello BigMF, I am definitely going to follow your modifications as I have similar goals. My vision for my 2020 LX570 is: Towing the Airstream Basecamp 20x from Virginia through Colorado, Utah, then up to Washington State, then cruise back down slowly along the Pacific Coast Hwy in 2021, then to Alaska in 2022. As my Wife and I will be in locations with the Bureau of Land Management, we definitely want to take the LX off road to discover some remote locations. My goals for the LX570 is Towing capability and stability 1st, then off-road capability and stability. I am open to feedback, technical guidance and recommendations, and of course your actual experiences.

Hello, I like your set-up. What are the wheel and tire dimensions? I am gonna use my 2020 Lexus LX570 mostly for towing a 20ft Airstream, but also exploring off the beaten path. Not rock crawling. I don't want to have to adjust or lift anything and would like the spare to fit under the LX.I would appreciate any feedback
Hello, I'm running 17" Icon Six Speed's wrapped with Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT LT285/70r17 Load Rating E. The Icons are one of the few 17" wheels that will work with the LC/LX brakes at a reasonable price. I will caution you though that I'm not 100% happy with them for a couple of reasons:
  1. The center caps on two of the wheels have disappeared. I've reached out to Icon and they say they had an issue with the early ones and now use a different attachment method. Mine are covered by the warranty and they've offered to replace them but it's been several months and they haven't gotten around to sending me new ones yet blaming (possibly correctly) the pandemic and a slow down in getting things from China. I'm trying to be understanding but they seem to have plenty of new wheels in stock to sell. You'd think they could pull some new center caps out and send them to me.
  2. I don't know this for certain but I think they spray the silver/machined part of the wheel with some kind of clear protective coat. That is starting to peel in a few places on mine. Not sure if that means the wheels will tarnish faster but it worries me for long term ownership. Been meaning to post on here about them but haven't gotten around to it.
I've heard great things about their suspension systems and I think the wheels are something of a newer product line for them so perhaps mine were some early ones that they didn't quite have the manufacturing process nailed down.

No complaints about the Coopers. I don't really have anything to compare them against other than the OEM Michellin Latitudes. Noise is there if you listen for it but I never notice it.

Hello, I'm running 17" Icon Six Speed's wrapped with Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT LT285/70r17 Load Rating E. The Icons are one of the few 17" wheels that will work with the LC/LX brakes at a reasonable price. I will caution you though that I'm not 100% happy with them for a couple of reasons:
  1. The center caps on two of the wheels have disappeared. I've reached out to Icon and they say they had an issue with the early ones and now use a different attachment method. Mine are covered by the warranty and they've offered to replace them but it's been several months and they haven't gotten around to sending me new ones yet blaming (possibly correctly) the pandemic and a slow down in getting things from China. I'm trying to be understanding but they seem to have plenty of new wheels in stock to sell. You'd think they could pull some new center caps out and send them to me.
  2. I don't know this for certain but I think they spray the silver/machined part of the wheel with some kind of clear protective coat. That is starting to peel in a few places on mine. Not sure if that means the wheels will tarnish faster but it worries me for long term ownership. Been meaning to post on here about them but haven't gotten around to it.
I've heard great things about their suspension systems and I think the wheels are something of a newer product line for them so perhaps mine were some early ones that they didn't quite have the manufacturing process nailed down.

No complaints about the Coopers. I don't really have anything to compare them against other than the OEM Michellin Latitudes. Noise is there if you listen for it but I never notice it.
Solid feedback

FYI, this is what the "peeling" looks like on the Icons:

Wheel.JPG

I am enjoying reading your build and progress, coming along nicely. Did you get around to installing your ARB skid plates?

I am enjoying reading your build and progress, coming along nicely. Did you get around to installing your ARB skid plates?
Thanks. I've been enjoying it even if my wife is not. ;)

I did get my ARB skid plates installed. Relatively easy. The only thing I'm not happy about but unavoidable (as far as I know) is that I'll need to take the front (and heaviest one) off whenever I need to swap out the oil filter. Think I can drain the oil without taking the middle skid off, but don't think it'll be very easy to do the filter itself.

Also, got a cheap light bar installed on the Prinsu rack. I like the slim, almost stealth look and figure at $80 I can replace it yearly if need to and I'll replace the truck long before I spend enough on cheap light bars to pay for a Rigid one.

light bar.JPG

I have bigger needs now like bumpers. Especially after I tore up my front bumper a bit wheeling on New Year's day. I made the mistake of going out with the STLCA group which is mostly 80's and 100's that have been lifted and running 39" or larger tires. I caught a big rock on the bottom of the front bumper and scratched it pretty good. Honestly, don't even remember doing it and didn't notice it until I washed all the mud off 5 days later. Was quite a shock when the mud came off and I saw it. Also, scratched my passenger side wheels pretty good around the lip. Didn't see those until the mud was gone as well. Nothing earth-shattering but still a good lesson on what rocks can do if you're not paying attention.

Bumper and Skid.JPG

wheel scratch.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom