Builds LEXpedition Overland Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@LittleBurroAZ Congrats on getting a new front bumper! Which one are you getting? Also, which one do you have on the back? I'm still a ways away from getting bumpers but I can still dream :)
@BigMF bumper work with Ben at Dissent Off-road is completed. Here is the final product. A few more behind the scenes upgrades are happening before we hit the trails again.

641ADEBB-B4B4-4F9F-AA12-44F945E580FE.jpeg

129D9E21-BB97-413D-AB2A-082F402C6D0B.jpeg

It would be great if that bumper was shipping. I left a vm last week.

Also, installed Techstream and connected for the first time tonight. Did not do anything beyond connecting but looking forward to having another tool in the shed.

Started replacing the spark plugs on Saturday morning. 2.5 days later I have new valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube gaskets. Found oil in several tubes so had to replace them all. A long and arduous task but not terribly complicated. There is just a ton of things you have to remove or loosen to get the valve covers off.

The job was long, hard, and frustrating but the rewards are gaining more confidence in my skills to maintain/fix my rig, save money that might be used for goodies by not paying a mechanic to do the work, and just the bragging rights after completing the job.

Subbed. Stumbled across your thread after picking up a 2010 LX last week. I’m in Nashville also so I’m going to keep that shop you recommend when the time comes for wheels/tires.

Quick update:
  1. Received and installed an ARB front recovery point. I only got one because they are $90/each and I'm thinking I'll be getting a strong bumper in the future which will serve the same purpose the recovery points will become somewhat redundant at that point. I did take a grinder to the edges of the hole and around the rim a bit to make it more friendly to soft shackles and then painted it with multiple coats of flat black paint.
  2. Just ordered a set of the brand new (announced via Facebook Live 30 minutes ago) MetalTech sliders. They had 3 sets ready to go and I was lucky/quick enough to snag a set. The design looks like it gives superior AHC protection and I like the looks better than the Slee's. Also, one of the very few completely bolt-on solutions for the LX570. Thanks to @grinchy for the heads up on these
    1. 1591908400958.png
  3. Working on enhancing the OEM roof rails with a home-made solution. I'll give an update when I either finish it or trash the idea.

Quick update:
  1. Received and installed an ARB front recovery point. I only got one because they are $90/each and I'm thinking I'll be getting a strong bumper in the future which will serve the same purpose the recovery points will become somewhat redundant at that point. I did take a grinder to the edges of the hole and around the rim a bit to make it more friendly to soft shackles and then painted it with multiple coats of flat black paint.
  2. Just ordered a set of the brand new (announced via Facebook Live 30 minutes ago) MetalTech sliders. They had 3 sets ready to go and I was lucky/quick enough to snag a set. The design looks like it gives superior AHC protection and I like the looks better than the Slee's. Also, one of the very few completely bolt-on solutions for the LX570. Thanks to @grinchy for the heads up on these
    1. View attachment 2336879
  3. Working on enhancing the OEM roof rails with a home-made solution. I'll give an update when I either finish it or trash the idea.
That is a fine looking truck there. I wonder who's it is?

The new Metal Tech LX570 sliders arrived today! Won't get a chance to install for another week though. Hoping to do an "install" thread. My understanding is that I got the very first "production" set. Hope I don't regret being first.

IMG_5560.jpg

loving this thread... I bought a 2010 with 153k miles on it last summer... It's been my daughter's high school whip, but after next year, when she's off to college, I'm going to turn it into more of an overland type rig for weekend excursions. This thread, and many others of course, have been a wealth of information.

The new Metal Tech LX570 sliders arrived today! Won't get a chance to install for another week though. Hoping to do an "install" thread. My understanding is that I got the very first "production" set. Hope I don't regret being first.

View attachment 2344022
I'm curious to see the install instructions.

@metal
I'm curious to see the install instructions.
As am I......no instructions in the box that I can find. Also, according to the website, there is supposed to be a nutsert tool included and I can't find that. I'll be honest, I'm a little concerned that I won't have all the hardware necessary to finish the install. I'm going to call them and see if I can get some more info.

Congratulations on scoring the sliders. I'm new here, and just acquired an 11' LX570. I'm just south of you in Franklin, so you might see some fool in a black LX honk and wave at you on the road! :cool:

Last edited:
@squamnh , @thebigelf

Hey guys, glad you like the thread. Sorry that I took so long to respond. I missed your posts somehow.

I'm just now getting around to doing the install of the sliders. Started today and it's a chore for sure. You have to completely unbolt the AHC system from the frame and let me tell you, some of those bolts are darn near impossible to get to. I planning on doing a thread on the install and impressions once I'm done.

One of the things that took so long to get working on the sliders was that I notice a small amount of surface rust on the undercarriage. I wanted to take care of that before I bolted some more stuff on that would make it impossible to treat it properly. I also applied WoolWax undercoating to help prevent more in the future. That was something of a mistake because it is now very messy under there while I'm working on the sliders. So, that has taken a bit of time.

Also, had to do some work on my daughter's Altima before she goes back to college. She is a real trooper and helped me with all the work. For any men on here with college-age daughters, the quality time spent under the car is priceless and it teaches them to be a bit more independent as well as avoid being taken advantage of by mechanics in the future, hopefully. Anyway, we had to replace an axle, front sway bar links, recharge the AC, and rotate the tires and she was in there getting her hands dirty right beside me.

I'm just south of you in Franklin, so you might see some fool in a black LX honk and wave at you on the road! :cool:

BTW, I'm also in Franklin (Fieldstone Farms) actually so we might run into each other sooner than later. Another member lives just a few miles up the road so we are well represented.

Let me know if I can take pics of anything

BTW, I'm also in Franklin (Fieldstone Farms) actually so we might run into each other sooner than later. Another member lives just a few miles up the road so we are well represented.

Probably likely then 👍, I’m in Tywater off Downs Blvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom