Let’s see your ugliest 40s/55s! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve got a seriously old school, patina’d, crusty fj40 but don’t you dare call her ugly

😀😄😳
Sorry, that was a typo. Please share your crustiest, rustiest, most beaten, beautiful 40 and 55s.

This is my 55 I have owned for 35 some odd years. It is not as ugly as it once was, but others have to be the judge of that. It is a beater for sure.... Tonight we went out for a drink or two it was a record heat about 85 and we drove 45 in our 55 and I am 68 and she is 63. I know we weren't out rock crawling but I could never be without an F series. We pretty much raged the island.....

Ros 1.jpg

ros 2.jpg

ros 3.jpg

Ros 4.jpg

Ros 6.jpg

I took excellent care of my '79 FJ 55. But a winter trip into British Columbia four years in a row was devastating. Once that road salt gets trapped inside all those body panels, it's 'Good night Irene'. Or in my case 'Last dance with Mary Jane'. I have a fleet of '46 and '47 ford trucks and decided to use some good sheet metal I had left over to bring the 55 back to road worthy. Maybe this shot is most the appropriate for this thread.

Maryjane torn up.JPG

I took excellent care of my '79 FJ 55. But a winter trip into British Columbia four years in a row was devastating. Once that road salt gets trapped inside all those body panels, it's 'Good night Irene'. Or in my case 'Last dance with Mary Jane'. I have a fleet of '46 and '47 ford trucks and decided to use some good sheet metal I had left over to bring the 55 back to road worthy. Maybe this shot is most the appropriate for this thread.

View attachment 2710861
Thank you, and I’m sorry for your loss. These are the type of pictures I was hoping would be posted.

cruiserinsanity, did you have any particular relationship with Con-Fear ???
No, just an appreciation for their products. My father has one of their old catalogs on a shelf, as well as a few of your old ones.

View attachment 2710861

Wow, that must have been a real journey. The Ford body parts actually look nice. I just never saw such a transformation. Nice.

Drove that 55 with 3 kids in the back seat to Boston and back. Years later it was a month long road trip to the southwest pulling a 15' travel trailer.... Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Disneyland ..... I will NEVER forget the night when I first saw this 55. We were driving a '70 fj 55 that had been driven on Florida beaches. Rust everywhere. Being a cabinetmaker I had riveted all kinds of panels over the rust with pop rivets. The repair panels werde made of formica and brush painted blue. The 70 was blue/.white. When I saw the '79 green/white at a local mexican restuarant I asked the owner if he ever wanted to sell, call me. Well he did. And it was mine! Oil changes, valve adjustments, maintanance fiend, but couldn't stop the rust. s*** happened, life happened, 25 years passed and it still started and ran like a watch. I just had to bring it back so I did. I have probably driven it 500 miles in the last two weeks with a 5 gallon gas tank McGuyvered in the bed, Dang I gotta get my new tank hooked up!!!

5 gal gas tank.jpg

Drove that 55 with 3 kids in the back seat to Boston and back. Years later it was a month long road trip to the southwest pulling a 15' travel trailer.... Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Disneyland ..... I will NEVER forget the night when I first saw this 55. We were driving a '70 fj 55 that had been driven on Florida beaches. Rust everywhere. Being a cabinetmaker I had riveted all kinds of panels over the rust with pop rivets. The repair panels werde made of formica and brush painted blue. The 70 was blue/.white. When I saw the '79 green/white at a local mexican restuarant I asked the owner if he ever wanted to sell, call me. Well he did. And it was mine! Oil changes, valve adjustments, maintanance fiend, but couldn't stop the rust. s*** happened, life happened, 25 years passed and it still started and ran like a watch. I just had to bring it back so I did. I have probably driven it 500 miles in the last two weeks with a 5 gallon gas tank McGuyvered in the bed, Dang I gotta get my new tank hooked up!!!

View attachment 2711623

Again, wow. One thing it says the quality of the drive train, another the rust. And you had a solution. I salute you.

The thread calls for ugly truck photos. I've never seen an FJ45 that was ugly no matter how bad of a shape it was in. That white one doesn't qualify for this thread. (Sorry)

Well maybe this 45 qualifies 😂. Even though I’m actually just test fitting the bed that’s being rebuilt one piece at a time.
IMG_3226.JPG

The thread calls for ugly truck photos. I've never seen an FJ45 that was ugly no matter how bad of a shape it was in. That white one doesn't qualify for this thread. (Sorry)
You’re right, no FJ45 can ever be ugly. I was hoping for more rust and backyard hack jobs performed by POs. Trail rigs would be nice too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom