Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LOOOOONNNNNNGGGG wheelbase LC79. Still shorter than @cruiserdan by a good amount I bet :)

6x6-australia-lc79-6x6-3.jpg

Finished the week strong....ALMOST got it all done. Got a little side tracked with a unique add-on I wanted which required some work. More on that later because it's pretty neat.

Rear harness in.....needs to be secured to frame. Interior harness installed....I think the only thing left is to run the wires for the seat heater on the Scheelmann. We almost got the center diff lock setup in but we ran out of time.

Ran a few additional wires up into the overhead area just in case I add something up there.

We want to get the basic wiring harness done and working.....then we will go in and add the auxiliary stuff. Winch, second battery and isolator, backup camera, off-road lights. Of course we will need to add some stuff for the stereo and the special gauge setup I am running in this truck.

All told I bet we will have 80-100 hours in wiring....solid 45 hours this week alone. Very very time consuming.

20200228_113529.jpg
20200228_164227.jpg
20200228_164403.jpg
20200228_164415.jpg

Had our interior girl come over to start on reconditioning the dash and interior plastics. Between the crash that the truck was in and the fact that it was a vehicle that was used pretty well....the dash needs a little love. There were misc holes in it from various radio stuff that they had installed.

Kat, our interior girl, is pretty much a magician. When this stuff is done, it will be nearly perfect. Hopefully next week it will all be done. LOTS of pieces need her magical work.

20200227_145020.jpg
20200227_145008_HDR.jpg
20200227_145012_HDR.jpg
20200227_145014.jpg
20200227_145026_HDR.jpg

Basically the plastic gets filled in, sanded, maybe filled in more.......then she sprays it with some paint to see what to do with the texture. That's where she left off yesterday. She says the texture won't be perfect but she says that and it usually always is just about perfect.

My brother does this work for a living and it's insane what he blends in.....stuff you would never think could be fixed. Amazing.

20200227_154550.jpg
20200227_154556.jpg

Troopy got to get some fresh air late today....got to get that build thread caught up.

20200228_180609_HDR.jpg

Hello,

Looking good.

I noticed you bypassed/deactivated the ABS warning light. I assume you decided not to include ABS brakes in this build. Dumb question: any particular reason for it? Just curious.

Juan

Hello,

Looking good.

I noticed you bypassed/deactivated the ABS warning light. I assume you decided not to include ABS brakes in this build. Dumb question: any particular reason for it? Just curious.

Juan
I didn't have any of the ABS stuff to install.....I would have probably used it if I did. Probably could have sourced it from mine trucks.....I would be they remove the ABS systems in certain applications.

My other truck has it....we carried it over from the 80 series that we used for the donor. Lot of work to fit all that stuff into that truck as I recall.

Hello,

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense.

Juan

Also on the to do list is to get rid of this horrible chrome on the mirrors. Unfortunately the power mirrors are only available in chrome from what I can tell....I searched high and low for black power units....no where to be found. We do a lot of chrome delete packages on newer cars....we have our paint shop paint the chrome parts once removed and disassembled from the car. Over the years, I've seen where the parts on cars that really get driven take a beating. Since these mirrors have huge exposure...I'm thinking they need something different.

Option 1 is to spray some fine texture Raptor on them....not sure how easily they will clean up with bugs, mud, etc., but they will be super durable and have a look that will match the flares and snorkel(really textured finishes on those pieces). Unfortunately, once the are coated...there is no going back.

Option 2 is to have them done in a gloss black finish, like we normally do but then have matte paint protection film installed....that will give them the matte look I want and protect them. Pretty complex shape to wrap in one piece...so it will probably have seams which might look strange. This option feels like the safer setup but......I'm kind of leaning towards the Raptor.

Always nerve racking to pop apart mirrors.....especially if you haven't had them apart before. And they're new. And expensive. And hard to get. These weren't that bad fortunately.

View attachment 2222282

View attachment 2222283

View attachment 2222284

View attachment 2222285

View attachment 2222286

while you’ve got them apart, graft a snowmobile handlebar warmer into the housing for “defog” on the mirrors.

I vote the raptor coat

while you’ve got them apart, graft a snowmobile handlebar warmer into the housing for “defog” on the mirrors.

I vote the raptor coat

That's a good idea on the heaters BUT....I think the wiring is kind of wrapped up on the doors and if I add something....it won't go over well with my tech. Lol. Will have to research it though.

The covers are on my desk.....I think they will end up going to the Line X guy. I really want to try out that Ultra...it's a neat coating and we can use it on other projects BUT.....we're spraying Raptor in the Troopy this week hopefully so who knows...maybe I'll have my texture dialed in and I'll just go for it. I have black Raptor in stock :)

Bed came back off today so we could finish up the wiring going to the rear of the truck....might leave it off for a bit so we can do the rear suspension bushings.

Rear connectors that exit the cab....these are the ones that we had to use connectors for....couldn't find the OEM ones.

20200302_172249.jpeg
20200302_172257.jpeg

Extra wire bundles are for the front tank sending unit and the rear view camera.
20200302_172348.jpeg

Installed my rubber "wind deflector".....its all about aero on this build :)

Did exactly what I wanted it to....covered up the gap between the front valance and the bumper. Looks pretty cool....kind of tough to see in the pics.

20200302_134505.jpg
20200302_134526.jpg
20200302_134538.jpg
20200302_134517.jpg

Yes please, looks way better than what I currently have

I usually have one or 2 in stock but this last batch I brought in sold. With all the 79 builds in the US, it's probably time for a new order for these and the speaker pods we are bringing in. Can't imagine having one of these things without a console up top.

I usually have one or 2 in stock but this last batch I brought in sold. With all the 79 builds in the US, it's probably time for a new order for these and the speaker pods we are bringing in. Can't imagine having one of these things without a console up top.
Ok, yes they are a godsend, my current one is made by Outback I think, and while it's not too bad, it's not on the same level as your one. BTW, I'm in Scotland, so I'm guessing shipping might be a tad frightful?

Ok, yes they are a godsend, my current one is made by Outback I think, and while it's not too bad, it's not on the same level as your one. BTW, I'm in Scotland, so I'm guessing shipping might be a tad frightful?

I can figure all that out.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom