Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I question my management style on a daily basis.

you give credit where its due and aren’t scare to call a baby ugly. Would have been very easy to not post the angle iron, but you did to demonstrate an effective shortcut then credited the skillful solution to the new guy.

One thing I was advised, “manage programs and lead people.” You managed a temp solution then lead a person to make it better.

you give credit where its due and aren’t scare to call a baby ugly. Would have been very easy to not post the angle iron, but you did to demonstrate an effective shortcut then credited the skillful solution to the new guy.

One thing I was advised, “manage programs and lead people.” You managed a temp solution then lead a person to make it better.

For sure it's ugly. It's awful in fact but it's strong, works perfectly and I'm trying to control myself....I have the tendency to over think things and slow these builds down. I really need this truck to be out of fab and into the next phase....there's another one that needs love :)

The kid didn't come up with it, I did. I was going to have him build a set of brackets like what he did for the outsides....but in an effort to save time...I ran with the angle. I discussed it with him.....why I didn't like it, why we would do it differently if it were on a customer build, why I let it slide on this. Eventually I will have to turn him over to the customer car side of the biz and I want his brain to be in that mode of easiest is not always best...build things that function and have thought put into them. The devil is in the details I believe is how that saying goes....

Playing with the tubing bender today really got his attention.....we're going to build an exoskeleton for my RV once we get this truck knocked out. That will be his project....

This is how we finished the day out.....our rear cross brace primed and ready for paint. Risers welded on for the tank mounts...fits like a glove. Tomorrow we'll put the truck outside, pressure wash the frame, prime, paint our new welded areas and move on to the front tank...hopefully it's a bolt in...which it should be.

20191204_173229.jpg

@c2dfj45 ...... "For sure it's ugly. It's awful in fact but it's strong, works perfectly."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At some point you have to ask yourself if you're building the Ute to please you or to please a handful of guys on 'MUD.

@c2dfj45 ...... "For sure it's ugly. It's awful in fact but it's strong, works perfectly."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At some point you have to ask yourself if you're building the Ute to please you or to please a handful of guys on 'MUD.

The answer to that is ALWAYS me :) which is why I fixate on stuff I shouldn't fixate on.

A little bit of love, a few holes, looks like it was meant to be there. Painted, ready for the tank to drop in....cool day here today, we couldn't get anything to dry quickly...anxious to get the tank in and move on to the next one. I think this has occupied us the whole week.

20191205_113023.jpg
20191205_144814.jpg
20191205_144844.jpg

Got another one of these...dropped off. Ran out of room in the first container....now I can really start stashing away LC stuff. These are cool.....1 trip containers. They come here and it's too expensive to ship them back empty. So they sell them off or rent/lease them to places like Walmart to store seasonal stuff in(Xmas layaway things according to the driver). They're virtually new inside. Really cool This one is a double door....front and back have double doors. Kind of cool. If you need a container, Philip at Boxhub is probably one of the best guys I've worked with....incredible customer service.

20191205_141702.jpg
20191205_142112.jpg

20191205_172256.jpg

Got our sub tank in for final....fits nice. I think it sits high enough up in the chassis that it shouldn't be an issue for clearance. Nice setup. Next week we see how the front one fits....

20191206_170522.jpg
20191206_190107.jpg
20191206_190140.jpg

Had some time to spray in some Second Skin Audio Spectrum on the rear outer wall of the cab...probably not necessary since we have quite a bit on the inner cab rear wall but I figured more can't hurt. Eric at Second Skin was saying a lot of sound comes up thru the area between the bed and the cab and bounces around back there. We'll see how it works out...

20191206_170506.jpg
20191206_143952.jpg

All this talk of angle iron being substandard. A few dimple die holes and it looks legit. Nice work!

Holes always makes things look legit....

So you painted over the Second Skin?

I guess you can go both ways with it right, paint over it or put it on top of paint.

We got a whole bunch of this to do on the Troopy.

Cheers

I guess you can go both ways with it right, paint over it or put it on top of paint.

Cheers

Can one also consider paint + Second skin + paint again? I see that on my 2nd gen Tacoma, the factory applied some kind of material to the rear of the cab to suppress noise.

Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 22.05.02.png

Cheers

I applied the Spectrum to the painted metal of the cab. We cleaned it, taped it, sprayed it. I haven't found a need to scuff anything if it's SUPER clean or new. The stuff sticks like crazy.

I believe(key word) that I read where you can topcoat the Spectrum but you have to wait for it to dry. Specifically it was pertaining to bedliner over the Spectrum....but I would imagine that would go for paint too. Something like 30 days of dry time. It's water based...so I think the stuff needs to fully cure and get all the water out of it.

I'm torn on the spraying of the Spectrum....it takes a long time to build it up. I think my brain is programmed that somehow this stuff should just come out at 2-3mm thick in one coat. It takes a LOT of coats to build it up. This was probably 1mm thick but again, there's probably 3mm on the inside of the truck on this section.

We did this E30 M3 for a client over the summer. We cleaned the floors, treated any surface rust(there was a tiny bit on the front floor boards as I recall...just surface rust). We used Damplifier Pro in strategic areas....basically we go around tapping on the metal areas listening for things that have a ring to them. We put Damplifer on those areas to tighten them up and get a solid thud when tapped. We did not want excessive weight in this car so we didn't cover the entire floor with the Damplifier. The we rolled the Spectrum in. Way more control with the Spectrum by rolling it in and we could really pile it on. Since it's all covered up, we weren't overly concerned with the texture. I think we used 1.5 gallons on this floor. 2 of us working. We did it in sections. 78 or so in the shop...the stuff dries lightning fast no matter how thick we were going. I feel like we had a solid 2-3mm in this floor. In the doors, we used their Spectrum Sludge....it is the consistency of peanut butter...the stuff stays right where you put it. Really interesting.

Ready for Master Series silver coating on any suspect areas:

20190828_181047.jpg

Master Series silver being applied:

20190829_112821.jpg

Damplifier Pro installed in strategic areas:

20190830_105921.jpg

Spectrum rolled on:

20190830_151331.jpg

And because the car is a really cool ride:

20191116_131520-01_1.jpeg

Can one also consider paint + Second skin + paint again? I see that on my 2nd gen Tacoma, the factory applied some kind of material to the rear of the cab to suppress noise.

View attachment 2150747

That's pretty interesting to see an OEM doing it on the exterior.

I applied the Spectrum to the painted metal of the cab. We cleaned it, taped it, sprayed it. I haven't found a need to scuff anything if it's SUPER clean or new. The stuff sticks like crazy.

I believe(key word) that I read where you can topcoat the Spectrum but you have to wait for it to dry. Specifically it was pertaining to bedliner over the Spectrum....but I would imagine that would go for paint too. Something like 30 days of dry time. It's water based...so I think the stuff needs to fully cure and get all the water out of it.

I'm torn on the spraying of the Spectrum....it takes a long time to build it up. I think my brain is programmed that somehow this stuff should just come out at 2-3mm thick in one coat. It takes a LOT of coats to build it up. This was probably 1mm thick but again, there's probably 3mm on the inside of the truck on this section.

Eric said after a 7 day cure, you can topcoat.

Eric said after a 7 day cure, you can topcoat.

7 days....that makes more sense. No idea where the 30 days came from. Too much in my brain I think.

I read something interesting on the label of the Spectrum...that it has an anti-rust property to it. Pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom