Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yesterday was a milestone of sorts.....we put power to the truck for the first time. Kind of neat to see things light up like the small parking light on the cluster...actually the gauges are lit up in the crappy pic I took.

View attachment 2221443

AC controls went in too.....way easier to deal with the AC control in the new dash vs. the old dash.

View attachment 2221442
Chris, Your truck has the rear fuel tank, correct?

Congrats on your build ! It's fantastic . I have a July 1999 HZJ75 troopy , one of the last build , and I would like to add a cruiser control . Can you tell me the reference of your Rostra cruise control ? Thanks in advance .

We are using this Rostra unit

20200225_082119.jpg

And this:

Amazon product ASIN B007ZDDXUY

Yes...front and rear.
I noticed a single fuel gauge and was curious how you were going to use and monitor the second tank.

I noticed a single fuel gauge and was curious how you were going to use and monitor the second tank.

I'm being told that thru the magic of relays, the fuel gauge will display the level of whatever tank we are on. I believe that is being worked on today....

I stay out of this phase.....I can become a major distraction.

I'm being told that thru the magic of relays, the fuel gauge will display the level of whatever tank we are on. I believe that is being worked on today....

I stay out of this phase.....I can become a major distraction.
That g-wiz stuff has always confused me. :)

That g-wiz stuff has always confused me. :)

You and I both. It's all a mystery to me.....but as long as I can press the buttons and things work, I'm fine with that mystery.

You don't need a relay to toggle the fuel gauge. I used a dual rocker switch with two inputs and one output. Ins from the tank senders and out to the gauge. The senders have the same "sweep".

You don't need a relay to toggle the fuel gauge. I used a dual rocker switch with two inputs and one output. Ins from the tank senders and out to the gauge. The senders have the same "sweep".

Allow me to interpret:
I have a do-dad that does magical things to make sure I don't run out of fuel.

Almost. The do-dad allows me to view fuel levels of two tanks independently. That doesn't mean I can't run out:doh:

Almost. The do-dad allows me to view fuel levels of two tanks independently. That doesn't mean I can't run out:doh:

That's a cool setup.....great way to do it. I think we're already committed to the way we're going right now and I'm not making any changes.....can't hold up the wheels of progress on this thing :)

That is how Ford does it at least on the OSB trucks.

Looks like you'd better fill up that sub tank :)
Not before the "Ressurected" tank is removed and the new OEM tank is installed. :)

Troopy is getting some love in-between work on the 79......need to update that thread.

This is our no-prop rod pose....
View attachment 2220052

Love seeing the progress on the 79. She’s looking amazing!

But yes... you’re overdue on giving us a Troopy update. Ha!

Love seeing the progress on the 79. She’s looking amazing!

But yes... you’re overdue on giving us a Troopy update. Ha!

Troopy work is going on.....just slowly. One step forward, 10 steps back. I spent a long time debating about whether or not it was going to be repainted after being painted. I'm not happy with the paint job. Everyone else seems to be OK with it though so they won out. Plus....my painter is busy with a 60 series that was repainted over quite a bit of rust....so that job just became a much larger job. My truck would have been back burnered for a while. So I'm just going to suck it up and deal with it.

Today we are sorting out wiring.....this is our alternator wiring. Lol.

20200225_142252.jpg

Troopy work is going on.....just slowly. One step forward, 10 steps back. I spent a long time debating about whether or not it was going to be repainted after being painted. I'm not happy with the paint job. Everyone else seems to be OK with it though so they won out. Plus....my painter is busy with a 60 series that was repainted over quite a bit of rust....so that job just became a much larger job. My truck would have been back burnered for a while. So I'm just going to suck it up and deal with it.

View attachment 2221772

This was the bypass to the fusible link (long ago blown I’m sure) that powered my whole harness until a week ago... par for the Omani import course.
1776ECF1-F989-4F0C-A04A-78DC5BAC13DD.jpeg

View attachment 2221772

And for what it’s worth, from the photos the Troopy paint job looks great.

And for what it’s worth, from the photos the Troopy paint job looks great.

Ha...that wiring....just like ours. I'm scared of what else we will find. I do not want to put a harness in it.....we're up to our eyeballs in harnesses right now!

I have to keep telling myself that the Troopy is a shop truck....it doesn't need to be perfect...it just needs to be done. I have a knack for turning easy projects into complicated ones. Ha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom