Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Eyeballing it, I think the 16x8 ProComp steels that came with my 80 might work or be very close with the right tire. Napkin-math, taking into account the offsets, says they'll stick out a little under an inch more than those 16x7s. Interesting.
If not, good to know those Taco/Tundra wheels fit nicely. I'm partial to the steel wheel look anyways.

It's killing me to even be considering other wheels for my truck but I'm trying to expand my horizons. Have something special planned for it. BUT....when those 17 steelies go on....they might stay on. Ha. Maybe 2 sets of wheels.

What tire size are you running?

It's killing me to even be considering other wheels for my truck but I'm trying to expand my horizons. Have something special planned for it. BUT....when those 17 steelies go on....they might stay on. Ha. Maybe 2 sets of wheels.

What tire size are you running?

I think the tires on there are a 265/75R16 (maybe 285), measures out to a 32". I'd like to stay around 33"-34", 295/75R16 or so. The KO2s on there now have plenty of tread so I might roll those for a while if possible. Plus, they were "free". Came with the donor 80-series.

I think the tires on there are a 265/75R16 (maybe 285), measures out to a 32". I'd like to stay around 33"-34", 295/75R16 or so. The KO2s on there now have plenty of tread so I might roll those for a while if possible. Plus, they were "free". Came with the donor 80-series.

I've been pulling my hair out over tires....really want to stay tall and skinny.....so 255/80/17 for me. Considering the Falken Wildpeaks.....great reviews. I have the Cooper Discoverer STs on my 79 now and I love them....but of course they are discontinued and 16s. Too bad. Great tire.

I've been pulling my hair out over tires....really want to stay tall and skinny.....so 255/80/17 for me. Considering the Falken Wildpeaks.....great reviews. I have the Cooper Discoverer STs on my 79 now and I love them....but of course they are discontinued and 16s. Too bad. Great tire.

The Cooper ST Maxx come in 255/80/17. Very decent tire.
I ran it on my 2nd gen Tundra, 200 series (thrashed that tire through Moab and Baja) and current beater 1st gen Tundra. Never had a puncture.
I've heard good things about the Falkens though.

16x7 Taco/Sequoia/Tundra spares....they came on an 80 series I bought for the next build. The guy I got the truck from said they were "ex Nato wheels"...ha.

So is the BS the same between all these steelies?

I am not too familiar with the Tundra/Sequoia pre-07' 16X7 steelies (spare), just Tacoma 16X7 steelies.

I'd love to see a shot of the bikes you have tucked off in the corner. Is that another aspect of the business?

The Cooper ST Maxx come in 255/80/17. Very decent tire.
I ran it on my 2nd gen Tundra, 200 series (thrashed that tire through Moab and Baja) and current beater 1st gen Tundra. Never had a puncture.
I've heard good things about the Falkens though.

I have them on my 80 series.....it's a nice tire for sure. It's in the running. They seem like the most aggressive tire of the ones I'm looking at.

So is the BS the same between all these steelies?

I am not too familiar with the Tundra/Sequoia pre-07' 16X7 steelies (spare), just Tacoma 16X7 steelies.

I believe the FJC steelies are a 17x7.5 with a 4.5" backspace, 14mm offset.

I'm trying to buy a set now that are 17x7....which should make them steel wheels for a Tacoma, Tundra, 4runner.....17x7 with a 14mm offset. No idea on the backspace on these 7s. Not sure if they are spares or if they are some kind of takeoff. Might grab them up tomorrow....then I can measure them. Seller claims they are FJ Cruiser wheels but I don't think they are if they are 7s.

I believe the FJC steelies are a 17x7.5 with a 4.5" backspace, 14mm offset.

I'm trying to buy a set now that are 17x7....which should make them steel wheels for a Tacoma, Tundra, 4runner.....17x7 with a 14mm offset. No idea on the backspace on these 7s. Not sure if they are spares or if they are some kind of takeoff. Might grab them up tomorrow....then I can measure them. Seller claims they are FJ Cruiser wheels but I don't think they are if they are 7s.

The current Tacoma no longer has a 17" steel spare wheel. I forgot to mention this. It is all either P245/75/16 Hankook with 16X7" steel wheel OR 265/70/16 Goodyear for some certain packages, mostly the TRD PRO which has the same tire.

Edit: Made some corrections above.

Last edited:
I'd love to see a shot of the bikes you have tucked off in the corner. Is that another aspect of the business?

I'll dig around and see what I can come up with :)

The current Tacoma no longer has a 17" steel spare wheel. I forgot to mention this. It is all either P245/75/16 Hankook with 16X7" steel wheel OR 265/7016 Dunlop for some certain packages, mostly the TRD PRO which has the same tire.

Makes sense because we have one from a customer's 2016 or 2017....first year of the new Tacoma and it's a 16.

Thought we were done with brackets but apparently we weren't.....forgot about the Rostra Cruise Control mount. Oops.

20200224_112154.jpg
20200224_112221.jpg
20200224_112242.jpg
20200224_141252.jpg
20200224_141259.jpg

I designed the nose to complete the face
20200224_114748.jpg

great build thread. Hope this isn't to far out in left field but what headlights are in your troopy and where did you source them?? Thanks.

great build thread. Hope this isn't to far out in left field but what headlights are in your troopy and where did you source them?? Thanks.

I sourced them from my storage room :)

We took them off a customer's build as he wanted to switch over to more stock looking lights.

They would appear to be JW Speaker LED light but I'm not sure if they aren't a knockoff....kind of never really inspected them too much. They looked terrible in the 40 so I was determined to take them off and stash them away. Troopy was going to get some first gen Truck Lite LEDs but we will give these a go. There will be a lot of black accessories going on the Troopy so I think they are appropriate.

Last edited:
Picked up these guys today....17x7 with a 14mm offset. Guy had 3 of the FJ Cruiser wheels...17x7.5....figured these would work just fine for what I need and he had plenty. Nice wheels. New. $32 each.

20200224_181548.jpg
20200224_181432.jpg

Yesterday was a milestone of sorts.....we put power to the truck for the first time. Kind of neat to see things light up like the small parking light on the cluster...actually the gauges are lit up in the crappy pic I took.

20200224_145604_1.jpg

AC controls went in too.....way easier to deal with the AC control in the new dash vs. the old dash.

20200224_145116_1.jpg

Door locks work via the keyless entry....kind of a crapshoot on this one since we had no idea on if our door lock actuators were going to be happy or not.....I didn't get the actuators that came with the doors from the 76. We bought new ones. Kind of think I'm going to like having power locks...and windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom