Builds Let's Baseline my new to me 1993 Land Cruiser (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New Cruiser accessory….
IMG_1231.jpeg

This is my new Remakle Trailer 4 Place canoe and Kayak trailer. The owner Dennis Remakle is a standup guy who’s been making the best canoe trailer around for a long time. It tows behind the cruiser on a 10” drop receiver. It was a dream on the highway at 70 (with no boats and no load in the trailer or the truck). I’ll let you know what it’s like to haul boats and gear over the passes of Idaho and Montana.

You've had the doors apart on your truck right? I noticed that if the speaker wires aren't well insulated they'll bump the door frame or window frames and short out this will turn all the speakers off
^^^Rear door speaker had a smashed wire/ solder junction and was shorting out. I gently bent it back away from the speaker and voila—sound has retuned. Thanks for this easy fix.

A/C

The next journey into repair will probably involve the A/C system. I just called the local auto air shop here in Bellingham (Bellingham Auto Air). The gentleman who answered the phone was extremely knowledgeable (and seems to have some familiarity about Land Cruisers), but he is booked out 2 months. So it will be a sweaty drive to MN in June. The good news is I can take something off my list of things to finish before I move.

A quick side note, it was pretty fun to hand over my old springs and shocks to @Dirtygumboots. He may try and make use of them or pass them along to the NW Washington cruiser community. Stand up guy.

Quick Update

I finally got to install my new seat covers from escape gear. I got fronts, and rears. I ordered them in February and they showed up in June. But they were worth the wait. Easy to install on the 80 (I bought some for my new Tacoma double cab too and they’re more complex).

More updates on my sorry ass garage, and future plans for the rig (which don’t include selling).
IMG_1920.jpeg

IMG_1916.jpeg

I’m sure I could get them tighter, but they are comfortable and they don’t smell like toxic puke.

So much fear…

I see cars and truck everywhere here that are pretty new…and look like this. Certainly lots of 20 year old vehicles. But holy hell…I’m worried parking too close will allow it to spread!

IMG_1981.jpeg

So much fear…

I see cars and truck everywhere here that are pretty new…and look like this. Certainly lots of 20 year old vehicles. But holy hell…I’m worried parking too close will allow it to spread!

View attachment 3422568
Buy a $2k beater to drive around in the winter. If you're in the salt belt, that is the best investment you can make for you 80.

Problem is that I love my beater…and I’m definitely not using the 80 as a winter daily. It will be ready for use, but we’re just gonna wear out the 2023 Tacoma. It’s not like it’s very original…
IMG_1840.jpeg

The “beater” in move to the Midwest configuration.
image.jpg

And in “chore mode”

I like the beater. Reminds me of one I bought new in 93.

a little update

I’m obviously paranoid about my Toyotas rusting into oblivion. So today I touched up a couple of chassis parts with some fancy auto body rust paint. I used it on my axles since they are Looking a bit tired. I’m still planning on parking this rig for the winter, but I want it ready to go incase it’s needed.

Here’s a before:
IMG_2090.jpeg

And after a couple of costs of this fancy paint.
IMG_2092.jpeg

Note that it’s October 2nd, and I’m in flip flops, and it was 91 out today. It next week it’s getting colder, and my rattle can paint window will be closed. I have numerous remaining projects to do, but sadly no place to do them this winter. We’re talking tough about building a new garage, but obviously that’s a 2024 endeavor.

Looks good, G. How’s the new place?
New place is very comfortable. Were trying to weigh the costs of building a new "fancy" garage, vs. our long standing dreams of owning a large piece of rural property....on which a very large garage could be erected and cruiser could be stored. These are amazing problems. Looking forward to exploring the frozen north...that is once its stops being 90 degrees. I am a sucker for cold winter, hence why moving to Minnesota wasn't a terrible thing for me.

New place is very comfortable. Were trying to weigh the costs of building a new "fancy" garage, vs. our long standing dreams of owning a large piece of rural property....on which a very large garage could be erected and cruiser could be stored. These are amazing problems. Looking forward to exploring the frozen north...that is once its stops being 90 degrees. I am a sucker for cold winter, hence why moving to Minnesota wasn't a terrible thing for me.

I was telling a friend I can't wait to move to a place where it snows, and the snow stays

Update

Today I finished my Speedo correction. That was nice. I also replaced my rusty old ARB turn signal with fresh one.
IMG_2352.jpeg

I also rented an underground garage stall in my MIL’s retirement community building. 70 degrees and salt free.
IMG_2374.jpeg

While the cruiser sits for the winter I’m planning on building some wiring harnesses for the various electrical projects that are lingering (locker switch, driving lights, usb ports, backup lights). I’m also shopping for a winch and sliders to finish up this rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom