LED headlights for 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm still running Stedi H4's in standard factory inserts on my 80. The key is having them aligned properly for proper beam angle/direction.

(Not sponsored)

I ended up buying a pair of 9006 SL1 headlight bulbs as Diode Dynamics is running a site wide 15% sale at the moment, originally $200 for a set.

diode.png

(Not sponsored)

I ended up buying a pair of 9006 SL1 headlight bulbs as Diode Dynamics is running a site wide 15% sale at the moment, originally $200 for a set.

View attachment 3265753
I think you'll really like those. I've been happy with mine.

@ncavi10 had a set go out on his Subi and DD replaced them, no questions asked.

Are you using the 9006 SL1 in the stock housings? how is the light cut off? or is there any?

Are you using the 9006 SL1 in the stock housings? how is the light cut off? or is there any?

Yup, in stock housings. The cutoff matches factory, the idea with these is that you position the thin LED to mimic the original halogen filament... so you are reflecting the same factory beam pattern, just with more light. The cheap LED's don't do this well.
1645235141304-png.2929954

This is the trimming required to make them fit. With a stubby screw driver these rings come out easy, no need to pull the whole housing.
1645231570838-png.2929858

1645231472552-png.2929852

For those who did the projector retrofit, did any of you run into an issue where you can't adjust the headlight to go high enough?
No, mine are adjusted the correct height, but I ran out of adjustment to get them lower. 3” lift, 1” body lift, 37’s

No, mine are adjusted the correct height, but I ran out of adjustment to get them lower. 3” lift, 1” body lift, 37’s
When I did mine, I ran into an opposite. The headlights were looking to far down, I've adjusted them up as much as I can but ran out of adjustment. I suspect I have to remove the projectors or somehow shim up the projectors them selves. Do you have any pic of the rear of the projectors and how they were installed into the reflector?

I purchased these 4x6" LEDs from JTX for my HDJ81: 4×6″ LED Headlights (4 Lights) – JTX Lighting - https://www.jtxlighting.com/product/4x6-led/

I need these housings but I can't get in touch with the GumTree guys.

I can't be the only person that has done the conversion to square LEDs from Sahara-style. Anyone have any tips here that don't require me dropping $700 on overpriced housings from LandCruiser Heaven?
I've done them and upgrades to singe piece later on. I've searched Australian ebay (.au) and had them shipped to me. Was infinitely cheaper.

When I did mine, I ran into an opposite. The headlights were looking to far down, I've adjusted them up as much as I can but ran out of adjustment. I suspect I have to remove the projectors or somehow shim up the projectors them selves. Do you have any pic of the rear of the projectors and how they were installed into the reflector?
I don’t have any pictures, but with Depo housings, the projectors mounted directly with very little trimming or modification needed. The projectors mounting was straightforward with little room for movement or at the back of the housing. Are you running Depos?

I don’t have any pictures, but with Depo housings, the projectors mounted directly with very little trimming or modification needed. The projectors mounting was straightforward with little room for movement or at the back of the housing. Are you running Depos?
Yeah, DEPO's with mishimoto projectors. I'll post in another DEPO thread when I find some pics so I dont side track this one.

The Stedi LED H4 bulbs absolutely do have the correct Australian-standard RHD beam cut for the low-beam setting by design. Full LED 'panel' insert replacements (such as the Ultraflex and similar ones) do not have any beam cut. I have been using the Stedi's for a week now and they definitely do have the correct beam pattern. Note the beam pattern is *not* set by the glass of the inserts - it's set by the lamps. And it's a lot easier to see if the lights are aligned correctly than it is with halogen lamps.

I just got the Stedi H4, H3 and the reverse light bulbs. Now I can see the road.😜

I used JW speaker LED lamps all round for everything else bar the headlights. The flasher relay was easy to swap with a CF-14 LED style one and all the indicator lamps are now LED ones as well.

Headlights are Stedi H4 outer and soon will be Stedi H1 inner.

Today I've had a go at fitting the Stedi H1 high beam lamps to the standard Toyota factory inserts of my 80 series twin-insert headlights, and the upshot is they can't be fitted due the clip for a standard halogon H1 lamp not being able to fit around the body of the Stedi H1 lamps.

I don't have any Hella 1041 alternative high-beam inserts to compare how they are configured for clipping in a standard halogen lamp.

To show you what I mean...

Note the body of the stedi lamp is large and round (same body as used with their H4 hi/lo beam LED lamps). The H4's which I already use are great and work well replacing standard H4's.

So back to standard halogen h1's for the forseeable future.

Anyone have any experience with these? Looks like they come in 9005 & 9006 and are plug and play.

IMG_2653.png

I have the top of the line VLEDs.com bulbs in my 80. They work great, fit great, and draw less current than the OEM halogens. If there is any inclement weather, however, they scatter the light so bad its hard to see anything. I'm on the lookout for something better, as I know these likely blind oncoming traffic as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom