Leaking fitting in radiator. Ok to bypass? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought two aftermarket radiators for my LX450 and my dad's 97'. Both have fittings that leak tranny fluid at the bottom. I'm stuck with them. On my dad's 97' my mechanic bypassed the tranny cooler in the radiator with no apparent ill-effects. He says that there is a separate tranny cooler on the LC. Is this legit? I'm thinking of doing the same on mine as I'm sick of the slow leak dirtying up my undercarriage. Anyone have a line on a good, reasonably-price new radiator?

The radiator helps to get the transmission fluid up to temps in the cold as well. If you live in a hot climate you could bypass it worth little Ill effect I would put a trans temp gauge in and watch the temp if it gets hot upgrade your cooler.

Unless a previous owner installed one, you only have the tranny cooler that's in the radiator. If you are going to bypass it then do yourself a favor and pick up a cheap cooler and plumb into it. Find a place up front where you can mount it that it won't get hit by anything.

If it is leaking ATF then there is a problem with the compression fittings. They are flared out and should stop leaking if they are tightened up enough. Scottryana is right on about the radiator warming up the ATF in cold weather. ATF is designed to be more slippery at normal operating temps. Keep it too cool, it will wear out the transmission like too thick oil in the engine.

Your mechanic should have known this.

Had this problem on a rig recently. With the windage tray off I was just able to get a wrench onto the larger fitting to hold it while really cranking down on the smaller fitting. Moved about 1/3rd of a turn ( 2 faces ). It was enough to stop the leak. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom