Events/Trails LCDC 7 - Summer 2021 Official Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Traffic delays on Highway 50 during the week. Alternate is to go I-170 to Glenwood springs and then down 133 to Delta. Never driven that highway before so I cant comment on it.
If you're coming from the Denver area and need the fastest route, go to Grand Junction then south on 50/550 to Ouray.133 is much more beautiful and much less traffic but takes longer. We prefer 133 if we have the time. The road from Grand Junction to Ouray is heavily patrolled. Watch your speed.

So, I'm new to Colorado (moved from east coast last summer), currently living in the Elk Mountains. I hadn't had the opportunity to get down to the San Juan's until this weekend.

WOW. The San Juan's are amazing. The Elks are great, but DAMN the San Jaun's are something else. Just did a quick tour around Ouray and Telluride.

CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS SUMMER!

-Chris

So, I'm new to Colorado (moved from east coast last summer), currently living in the Elk Mountains. I hadn't had the opportunity to get down to the San Juan's until this weekend.

WOW. The San Juan's are amazing. The Elks are great, but DAMN the San Jaun's are something else. Just did a quick tour around Ouray and Telluride.

CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS SUMMER!

-Chris
IMO there is no place like it for off-road accessed scenery, and yes in the summer it is a whole different, even better thing.

I’ll be up there a couple weeks before this event and likely posting intel if I have it, though based on snow pack I’m not anticipating anything like a couple years ago with 100’ of snow covering roads and significant trails still closed.

IMO there is no place like it for off-road accessed scenery, and yes in the summer it is a whole different, even better thing.

I’ll be up there a couple weeks before this event and likely posting intel if I have it, though based on snow pack I’m not anticipating anything like a couple years ago with 100’ of snow covering roads and significant trails still closed.
Ditto. The San Juan mountains are our favorite place in all of Colorado. Some refer to the area as the "Swiss Alps of America". I refer to the real Swiss Alps as the "San Juans of Europe." ;)

Watch this guy (1 part courage, 1 part experience, and 1 part crazy) clearing Imogen Pass:

For those new to the area and driving into Ouray from the North, it's best to fill the tank up in Grand Junction and no further than Montrose. Gas can be $0.50-1.25 per gl more in Ouray.

Here's a link for (somewhat) up-to-date info on 4x4 trails:
We've found the link to be accurate. We've also learned the Lake City Visitor Center/Chamber of Commerce has up-to-date info on the Alpine loop. The staff there are accustomed to taking calls about trail conditions.
970-944-2527

Though we can't go, I'm eager to hear what @bloc finds out about the trail conditions and such.

If anyone ventures from the Alpine Loop (via Cinnamon and/or Engineer passes) towards Lake City keep in mind the Hinsdale County Sheriff's dept regularly patrols the roads. They've got cool-looking trucks like a black Toyota 4 Runner, Explorer, Expedition, and a white/black F150. They WILL give you a ticket for speeding inside Lake City. If they pull atvs over, they'll pull you over. The dirt roads to/from the passes do have speed limits also and you will find them there especially during the mornings and late afternoons.

We've encountered them to be friendly. During the citizen-led July 4th parade last year, we had our 5 yo son standing up through the sun roof. A deputy in the black 4 Runner was behind us most of the way. I think the deputy was wondering what it would be like to drive a Land Cruiser while I was wondering what it would be like to drive a cool-looking 4 Runner with lights and sirens. :cool:

Last edited:
Planning on heading out from KC the Saturday before LCDC and taking 50 across KS (for something different from I70) and thinking to head toward Durango and then up to Ouray. We're thinking to maybe blow through KS the first day and stay somewhere like La Junta the first night and then find little towns along 160 each night as we make our way to Ouray. Something like La Junta, South Fork, Durango then up to Ouray. Or Maybe just go in as far a South Fork and stay Sat-Mon before we get to Ouray for Tuesday evening.

Any recommendations along 160 for places to stay or things we got to see? If we just wanted to stay on one place on 160 what would the one place be that would offer good day trips and exploring. Not looking to off road or camp. Maybe some easy trail/fire road stuff to scenic places for lunch or something but mostly looking for cool little towns with shops, bars and restaurants.

Last edited:
Planning on heading out from KC the Saturday before LCDC and taking 50 across KS (for something different from I70) and thinking to head toward Durango and then up to Ouray. We're thinking to maybe blow through KS the first day and stay somewhere like La Junta the first night and then find little towns along 160 each night as we make our way to Ouray. Something like La Junta, South Fork, Durango then up to Ouray. Or Maybe just go in as far a South Fork and stay Sat-Mon before we get to Ouray for Tuesday evening.

Any recommendations along 160 for places to stay or things we got to see? If we just wanted to stay on one place on 160 what would the one place be that would offer good day trips and exploring. Not looking to off road or camp. Maybe some easy trail/fire road stuff to scenic places for lunch or something but mostly looking for cool little towns with shops, bars and restaurants.
^^^^^ Calling Colorado Natives... help a flatlander out here!!!

Great Sand Dunes National Park!

We usually stop in Alamosa for a meal at the brewery, and in Pagosa Springs for the night.

If you want to take 160 you could stop at the Sand Dunes for an hour or so. It's a short drive from 160 and a good visit at least once in your life. There's an easy and fun 4x4 road on the backside of the Dunes from the Gardner area but due to the potential for flooding I can't recommend it. The national park officers will close the road into the park if there's minimal flooding.

I've taken 160 between Walsenburg and Durango several times. Between Walsenburg and South Fork there isn't anything, imho, worth my time to stop and look at. However other members here differ as this has been discussed before. For me, the valley between Blanca Peak and South Fork is desolate. Durango is a great place to visit (if you can endure the long drive to get there). I think you'll enjoy this place more than any other places up to this point.

The CO Highway Patrol LOVE to catch speeders on 160. Usually they are running radar coming towards you. This is NOT the road to press your luck with speeding. The last ticket I got was in 2013 by a CHP between Fort Garland and La Veta. I was going about 12 over. During my last few trips in the area, my experience was the troopers did not have their radars on constantly but would zap you when they were about 1/8 of a mile away. Unlike other parts of CO, this area is also notorious for the small-town leo to be hiding behind a building to make money for the town.

The Sangre de Cristo mountain range is spectacular. You'll see them directly in front of you as drive from La Junta towards Walsenberg. Before you leave Alamosa consider taking a stop so you can look back to the East and see the full range from a different viewpoint.

550 from Durango to Silverton to Ouray is beautiful. You'll see why the members who have been to Ouray, whether or not have explored the trails, love this area. It's my favorite part of CO.

Side note: The Southbound lane of 550 in the canyo)n area a few miles south of Ouray doesn't have guard rails. It freaks out a lot of people. It can help the passenger to keep their eyes focused up, not down.

The further away you drive from Walsenberg going West, and from Durango going North, the more expensive gas and food will be.

Going up in altitude affects people differently. I recommend drinking lots of water when you're in CO, get a bit of extra sleep, and take Tylenol if needed. Be prepared that your skin will burn 3-4x faster than at sea level. Sunglasses are a must. Also, bring light-medium cold weather gear. You might encounter cold weather/winds on some of the trails such as Imogene and Engineer due to their altitude and exposure.

And I'm sure this will be covered by the group leader, but storms over the CO mountains can happen quickly. Never tempt fate with lightning. Though a vehicle "can be" grounded with the rubber tires, vehicles have been known to be inoperable after a lightning strikes. When I see the potential for lightning, I move my rig down the mountain as fast as possible.

Last edited:
Thanks @Hants and @RT Cruiser . I appreciate the intel. I knew about the Dunes and was already thinking we'd check that out. Not sure I really want to get in deep sand as I've not really wheeled in deep sand before and I'll be solo (though part of me wants to intentionally dig it in and see if I can use Crawl to get out. Maybe make my own YouTube video. ) Checking out the park though seems like a good idea.

We did find a pretty cool VRBO in South Fork that is tempting as a place to stay. We'll figure it out. Doubt we can really make a big mistake here.

Thanks @Hants and @RT Cruiser . I appreciate the intel. I knew about the Dunes and was already thinking we'd check that out. Not sure I really want to get in deep sand as I've not really wheeled in deep sand before and I'll be solo (though part of me wants to intentionally dig it in and see if I can use Crawl to get out. Maybe make my own YouTube video. ) Checking out the park though seems like a good idea.

We did find a pretty cool VRBO in South Fork that is tempting as a place to stay. We'll figure it out. Doubt we can really make a big mistake here.
If I was coming from 50 I might think about taking 69 out of Walsenburg west to the end point of the Medano Pass (camp along it FCFS designated dispersed sites). Then take that down to the GSDNP, check out the dunes for a few hours and have a short drive across BLM land to camp again at Penitente BLM campground. Be sure to walk through the stone formations they have there in the evening, that walking trail is pretty cool as the sun is setting. From there you head towards Creede which is an incredibly scenic little town. Out of Creede navigate yourself west to Rio Grande Reservoir and at the end of this you head further west towards the trail head for Stony Pass which will take you to the Alpine loop. From here turn left and you are in Silverton and a quick drive via the Million Dollar Hwy to Ouray. If you go the other direction you will hit a lot of LCDC before LCDC.

I did this last year on the way to Fort Collins just not quite as direct since we did the Medano Pass the other direction. We also turned right and did all the fun Alpine Loop stuff over a weeks time ending in Ouray but you may wish to save that for the event in this case.

If you don't already have the FunTreks book buy it and the Benchmark or Delorme Atlas for Colorado. These and Gaia combined will take you anywhere but take any one away and you might struggle at some point to piece things together. Obviously call the rangers for pass safety info in the days before travel but if it's clear I can absolutely offer you a guarantee of an epic trip.

Just another option for you or others in route to consider. Don't even sweat the sand on Medano pass, it's one 100yd stretch right near the heavily traveled area nearest the dunes and park. Yes it can be soft if it's hot out but there will be a short wait (in daytime) for help to give you a tug in the unlikely event you need one and that trail and park were at the top of our favorites last year. I think we spent three nights there it was so nice.

Well, people are not allowed to drive in the sand area, for obvious reasons. There are many dunes and they are tall. The tallest dune(s) is about 750' high. It's a workout to go up one and come down it. In the summer it's going to be hot and uncomfortable. The parking lot is next to the dunes. You can venture around, on feet, all you want. When we visited a few years back there were outdoor showers to use. Though there were open showers, they were a huge relief to clean off the sweat and sand. Not sure if they are operational now.

On Highway 150 between 160 and the Dunes is a place called Zapata Falls. I've been to the falls and again, imho, isn't worth the hassle to go there. The road is very jarring. On our 2nd time up to the falls, about 1/3 of the way, we turned around because we couldn't take the jostling over the rocks.

Out of Creede navigate yourself west to Rio Grande Reservoir and at the end of this you head further west towards the trail head for Stony Pass which will take you to the Alpine loop.
Huge FYI and warning ⚠️ - Stony Pass crosses Pole Creek which can be too high and fast-flowing to cross. I was there in 2019 about 1 week after a couple attempted to cross it in their rented Jeep. One passenger died due to being swept away. The Jeep was still in the torrent with the water breaching over the hood.

What happens is if there is a ton of snowfall in in those mountains up through June, the sun melts more of it in the afternoon than morning. So a cross-able Pole Creek in the morning becomes a death-wish river in the afternoon.

You can call the Lake City Visitor’s Center for updates on Pole Creek. I strongly recommend anyone do this before they invest several hours to drive from Creede, past the reservoir, up to Pole Creek.

You’ll get pin stripes on Stomy Pass but they are worth it.

The western side of this trail, aptly named Pole Creek, is one of our favorites. Spectacular views, less traffic, high-altitude Pole Creek, and fun places for the Cruiser to shine.

@Kurosawa 👍 on the book. Get the 4th edition spiral bound, SOUTH of I-70. The pages on this edition are more durable than regular book paper and the spiraling keeps the book open easily to the trail you’re on.

If you want to take 160 you could stop at the Sand Dunes for an hour or so. It's a short drive from 160 and a good visit at least once in your life. There's an easy and fun 4x4 road on the backside of the Dunes from the Gardner area but due to the potential for flooding I can't recommend it. The national park officers will close the road into the park if there's minimal flooding.

I've taken 160 between Walsenburg and Durango several times. Between Walsenburg and South Fork there isn't anything, imho, worth my time to stop and look at. However other members here differ as this has been discussed before. For me, the valley between Blanca Peak and South Fork is desolate. Durango is a great place to visit (if you can endure the long drive to get there). I think you'll enjoy this place more than any other places up to this point.

The CO Highway Patrol LOVE to catch speeders on 160. Usually they are running radar coming towards you. This is NOT the road to press your luck with speeding. The last ticket I got was in 2013 by a CHP between Fort Garland and La Veta. I was going about 12 over. During my last few trips in the area, my experience was the troopers did not have their radars on constantly but would zap you when they were about 1/8 of a mile away. Unlike other parts of CO, this area is also notorious for the small-town leo to be hiding behind a building to make money for the town.

The Sangre de Cristo mountain range is spectacular. You'll see them directly in front of you as drive from La Junta towards Walsenberg. Before you leave Alamosa consider taking a stop so you can look back to the East and see the full range from a different viewpoint.

550 from Durango to Silverton to Ouray is beautiful. You'll see why the members who have been to Ouray, whether or not have explored the trails, love this area. It's my favorite part of CO.

Side note: The Southbound lane of 550 in the canyo)n area a few miles south of Ouray doesn't have guard rails. It freaks out a lot of people. It can help the passenger to keep their eyes focused up, not down.

The further away you drive from Walsenberg going West, and from Durango going North, the more expensive gas and food will be.

Going up in altitude affects people differently. I recommend drinking lots of water when you're in CO, get a bit of extra sleep, and take Tylenol if needed. Be prepared that your skin will burn 3-4x faster than at sea level. Sunglasses are a must. Also, bring light-medium cold weather gear. You might encounter cold weather/winds on some of the trails such as Imogene and Engineer due to their altitude and exposure.

And I'm sure this will be covered by the group leader, but storms over the CO mountains can happen quickly. Never tempt fate with lightning. Though a vehicle "can be" grounded with the rubber tires, vehicles have been known to be inoperable after a lightning strikes. When I see the potential for lightning, I move my rig down the mountain as fast as possible.
Saving this just for future reference. You're the Frommers of IH8Mud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom