Events/Trails LCDC 7 - Summer 2021 Official Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

About 130 days to get your LCDC projects finished. This smorgasbord showed up today, guess I better get busy.

552E7DF6-20E8-4A17-9413-0C5ACBEEF6ED.jpeg

About 130 days to get your LCDC projects finished. This smorgasbord showed up today, guess I better get busy.

Clearly this is an opportunity to leverage this trip with the wife. I just need to figure out what "needs" to be done. I already tried to work an off-road teardrop into the deal, but that fell flat. I'm thinking OEM spring spacers and a little sensor lift are the minimum.

Or he is building a 200 inspired off-road trailer which he will bring and show us all how to do the same for 1/4 the cost....

I mean since we are speculating and all....

Or he is building a 200 inspired off-road trailer which he will bring and show us all how to do the same for 1/4 the cost....

I mean since we are speculating and all....
Trailer doesn't need a steering stabilizer... but a SAS'ed 200 does!

:worms:

I have no experience with the trails we will be running near Ouray, so trails like this will be an annual event at best. Given that and my usage being 80-90% highway and Big Bend desert roads, etc, would P or C load Toyo AT3s on Rock Warriors be sufficient for LCDC? I‘m running Cooper ATs load E on my 100 and had E load KO2s on the RWs on the 200 previously.

Mostly just trying to be more pragmatic this time in my build. Other than towing, I’m almost tempted to bring the LX 470 as it’s already fitted out.

2013 LX 570 pulling a 3000lb +\- Casita trailer.

(Edit: Well... will be running Toyo AT3s n(E-load, since only 2 C's nationwide) on RWs, with new Slee Sliders and pulling a much heavier Oliver E2 trailer to Ouray. ;)

Last edited:
@txtortoise .I'm running KO2 E rated on RW with zero issues...LCDC VI, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado trips. Also used as a daily driver and boat puller/grocery wrangler. Just air down when I need for the trail conditions.

I have no experience with the trails we will be running near Ouray, so trails like this will be an annual event at best. Given that and my usage being 80-90% highway and Big Bend desert roads, etc, would P or C load Toyo AT3s on Rock Warriors be sufficient for LCDC? I‘m running Cooper ATs load E on my 100 and had E load KO2s on the RWs on the 200 previously.

Mostly just trying to be more pragmatic this time in my build. Other than towing, I’m almost tempted to bring the LX 470 as it’s already fitted out.

2013 LX 570 pulling a 3000lb +\- Casita trailer.
Truthfully any A/Ts will likely do fine on most if not all of the trails. C load is fine. E-load are slightly more tear-resistant but if you air down to about half your normal pressure that makes FAR more difference in tire tear resistance than the load rating. You don't need E-load to pull a trailer safely as you're never going to inflate to 50psi anyway.

Truthfully any A/Ts will likely do fine on most if not all of the trails. C load is fine. E-load are slightly more tear-resistant but if you air down to about half your normal pressure that makes FAR more difference in tire tear resistance than the load rating. You don't need E-load to pull a trailer safely as you're never going to inflate to 50psi anyway.
Ditto. I did a lot of trails between Ouray and Lake City on stock sized Yokohama G015s last summer with a stock '08. No mods. No additions. It's more about driver experience and intuition, trail conditions, weather, ability to keep fear of heights suppressed in a healthy way, and tire placement with knowing how your rig will shift.

Bring a pump that will air-up your tires fast when it comes time to hit the pavement.

Those of you who are going to do Mineral Creek, it's probably easier starting from Ouray heading East where the altitude goes up. You'll be braking much less.

Quick question. After seeing the debate on the cruise Moab thread, what is the preferred communication method for 2021 LCDC? Is it HAM exclusive? GMRS/FRS? What will work best for this event?

Quick question. After seeing the debate on the cruise Moab thread, what is the preferred communication method for 2021 LCDC? Is it HAM exclusive? GMRS/FRS? What will work best for this event?
I would say that the preferred method is HAM but not required. If you don't have a HAM license, someone normally has a handheld that you can use to monitor with. FRS is used when the trail leader is not a HAM. Right now is a good time to get your HAM license. The license is free after a test and good for 10 years( test is not that hard with just a little studying) but will soon cost $35. If you want a GMRS license I would suggest waiting a little bit. A GMRS costs $70 right now with no test but will soon go down to $35 and it is good for 10 years. FRS does not require a license.

So I guess the short answer is HAM but not required. I would suggest you get at a minimum an FRS radio or one of the cheap BaoFang radios on Amazon. This would allow you to monitor and talk in an emergency.

I bought the BaoFang Ham last year for LCDC and was glad I did. It was only $50 or so with a car charger. Didn't have a license but used it to monitor. Worked well. Hopefully I'll have my license this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom