Events/Trails LCDC 7 - Summer 2021 Official Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Since this was just bumped up just wanted to mention that we'll be sending an email pretty soon with some good info about the event. Things are usually pretty quiet between registration and mid-May. Be on the lookout!
Did email go out? Making sure I didn't miss it.

Overnight run this year? Missed it last year. Sounded like one of the highlights.

Overnight run this year? Missed it last year. Sounded like one of the highlights.
Unlikely... the higher altitudes make this more of a challenge than last year. Something unofficial may be possible and fun but our permits don’t include official overnights in the BLM or USFS units.

I just want to say thank you to the planners for this. Knowing all the logistical impacts of a group of this size, in this area, with these sponsors, and all during COVID, its massive. The organization and updates have been very professional and appreciated. Kudos to the entire planning team.

hoping I make it off that waitlist!

Will a stock 200 with KO2s and a 190 lbs Rooftop tent be Ok through most of these trails? TiA.

Will a stock 200 with KO2s and a 190 lbs Rooftop tent be Ok through most of these trails? TiA.
My guess is yes, you just run a higher risk for damage. Someone else who knows the area better might say differently though. In the email where it listed lift, sliders, at/mt for certain trails maybe avoid those ones unless you’re fine with battle scars!

My guess is yes, you just run a higher risk for damage. Someone else who knows the area better might say differently though. In the email where it listed lift, sliders, at/mt for certain trails maybe avoid those ones unless you’re fine with battle scars!

Agreed, the short answer is yes.

The long answer is that there are a lot of factors at play in the San Juans when determining a good fit among driver, vehicle, and trail. Compared to a location like Moab, where there are named obstacles with no bypass that are physically impossible for unmodified vehicles, the trails in the San Juan don't really work that way. Weather, congestion/oncoming traffic, the amount of erosion from snow in a particular year, etc. can make an "easy" trail "difficult" and vice versa. All of the trails we run can be dangerous. All the trails we run can be run in a stock 200 without a scratch (most likely by a driver with lots of experience in the area but anyone can get lucky!). All the trails are fun and incredibly scenic.

What's best for you? I'd consider the following:

* Damage Tolerance: What's your tolerance for minor bumps and bruises to your vehicle? Here's what I consider minor: scraped side steps (assuming you don't have sliders), wheel abrasions, scraping your skid plates, pinstripes, light rear bumper cover damage, cosmetic scrapes to tow hooks / front LCAs / rear LCA / rear diff?
* Experience Level: What's your current level of experience/skill with San Juan trails (rocky terrain, narrow shelf roads, steep switchbacks, minor rock ledges, loose rock)?
* Your Attitude/Approach: How do you envision your ideal day of wheeling? For instance, are you seeking out challenges and trying to improve your skills? Do you want to focus on relaxing and/or keeping a vehicle full of family members comfortable and happy? Are you indifferent and just looking to ride some trails and have fun?

I'm sure there are more factors at play but those are some of the dimensions we've seen in prior events.

This by no means exhaustive, but if you distill everything down two dimensions there are some trails we'd recommend and others we wouldn't: 1.) Tolerance for potential damage (or ability of offset via mods) vs. 2.) desire to seek out challenging trails (by experience/skill or simply wanting a challenge).

Tolerance for potential damage / ability to offset potential damage due to mods
LowHigh
Desire to seek out challenging trails either / level of experience/skillLowLast Dollar Road
Rimrocker
Clear Lake
Owl Creek
Corkscrew (when dry)
Stony Pass
Ophir
Poughkeepsie (bypass wall)
Alpine Loop (via Mineral Creek)
HighAlpine Loop (without Mineral Creek)
Governor
Yankee Boy
Corkscrew (when wet)
Imogene
Black Bear
Poughkeepsie
Alpine Loop (via Mineral Creek)

This is merely illustrative but probably a good reference point for folks unfamiliar with the area.

On a completely different subject, please shoot me a PM if you have any interest in mixing some fly-fishing in on a trail run. We'll cover this in an upcoming email but it'd be helpful to get some quick feedback here if there's interest.

Specifically, we've scoped out an easy/relaxed trail (Owl Creek Pass) which takes you up into the to the Cimarron Ridge where the several forks of the Cimarron river offer an amazing setting for high altitude fly-fishing.

While this trip could be done without local guides, I believe guides would make this more fun for everyone but that would be an additional expense. We'd have to handle this outside of the confines of the event. Our part would be to make the connection to the shop and do our best to negotiate a rate. Everyone who wants to join would need to call the shop and put down a deposit.

I imagine it would be on the order of $250-$300 for each person who wants a guided experience. Normally there's one guide for every two people. The price includes all the gear, flies, etc. Everyone fishing needs to have a license which can be obtained in advance - link: Purchase License - Colorado Parks and Wildlife IPAWS - https://www.cpwshop.com/purchaseprivilege.page?_PageParam.displayCategoryID=251532604

This trip would be on Saturday, 7/31. I'm not sure if I'll personally be on this trail on Saturday but I'll definitely be getting some fishing in while in the area! We'll have to see how trail sign-ups go.

I need to work out whether we need guides for everyone on the trip or not. I can understand the argument that if people join and fish in the same locations that the guides take us to then they're part of the guided group. Alternatively, if other folks just want to explore the area, hike, relax, etc. I don't see why it'd be important?

I remember @woody telling me years ago at an event in Missouri (Flat Nasty), don't wheel it if you are afraid to break it. At the time I had dinged up my 80 working through some trees. I have lots of armor on my 200 and I have a couple of small dings in the paint on my right rear qtr panel. When they happened I just shrugged my shoulders and repeated "Don't wheel it if you are afraid to break it"

That doesnt mean you should take a stock truck on an aggressive trail. You match the truck to the trail, but know that anything can happen is the message. If something does happen, don't let it eat you up.

I had to cancel. We’re super disappointed but we’re in the middle of a garage/house build that won’t be complete until Aug/Sept. Combine that with some family medical issues and it’s just not very likely for us. Better to give up the spot now and give someone else the opportunity.

I had to cancel. We’re super disappointed but we’re in the middle of a garage/house build that won’t be complete until Aug/Sept. Combine that with some family medical issues and it’s just not very likely for us. Better to give up the spot now and give someone else the opportunity.

Bummer, Doug -- Go ahead and cancel via Eventbrite and we'll reach out re: shirts.

Sorry you will not be there. Was looking forward to meeting you. How long have you lived in Apple Valley? I had a connection to Apple Valley in the 80's and very early 90's.

My son and I will back again this year. We are staying at basecamp550. Anyone else staying there? We will be heading there Wednesday morning from Evergreen, CO.

Given the earlier comments about body damage, the 200 took on some BD earlier this year. I look forward to telling my "story" throughout the week. (Well, not really but we can pretend. 😝) Safe travels everyone!

Image from iOS (17).jpg

Last edited:
My son and I will back again this year. We are staying at basecamp550. Anyone else staying there? We will be heading there Wednesday morning from Evergreen, CO.

Given the earlier comments about body damage, the 200 took on some BD earlier this year. I look forward to telling my "story" throughout the week. (Well, not really but we can pretend. 😝) Safe travels everyone!

View attachment 2697981
Hopefully the story if of a big @$$ rock and not a small car.. haha

Confirmed a reservation at 4J for tent site #13, there aren't many non-rv sites at that location so I'd encourage folks to book soon. As near as I could tell 1-15 at the top of the page are tent sites and/or expo trailer sites and all the rest are for RVs and larger trailers. It doesn't look like the greatest campground but for LCDC on the backside of Covid I think the in-town location will be great for walking back from the main street and socializing. @DRCocaCola is in #9 I believe and @kevinfoutch has a RV spot so lets get some others to set up shop here and join the fun. Edit to add @SANDBXS3V3N in site #8 too👍

Hope to be with my wife and 15yr old daughter this year same as last.

View attachment 2554479
I have pulled out this year to head overseas but expect me to reappear for LCDC 8. I just wanted to let folks know that I am calling in to cancel my 4J campsite reservation right now, if you are looking to be convenient to downtown you might be able to snag it and be near some other participants. Site #13

Has an itinerary been put out for the event? Im trying to make plans with an uncle in CO and wanted to know what time the event starts.

I got the confirmation email from Eventbrite but when I log into mobile app it shows "0" for My Tickets? Is there something dumb I am doing? Shouldn't I see my ticket in the app?

I was wondering if the trail rides and schedule was listed in the app yet. I realize that sign up isn't until the 25th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom