LC100/LX470 Part-Time Conversion Discussion (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have 🤓
First at street speeds (under 40 mph) and then going down the highway in 4 High I turned on the CDL to see what the effect would be. Truth be told, I couldn't tell the difference in straights and curves. At slower speeds when I take sharper turns there is remarkable understeer (takes a wider turn). Also there is some wheel hop but only on dry surface.

I love the idea of PT conversion, especially since I am hoping to get underdrive gears in the transfer case anyway, but I find myself driving in nasty, slippery wintery conditions about 4 months a year and I think for that an unlocked 4H is ideal.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I agree with your logic on slippery condition driving. We live in northwest Montana and see a lot of different types of wintry conditions and test drive the cruiser in all of them. I think the only time I ever push in my CDL is when the snow is approaching the frame rails and is powder. When it comes to any other condition, icy,packed snow, etc. having the CDL unlocked and the stability control working, it has been great.

I think this mod just jumped to the top of my list.

Thanks @cruiseroutfit I love it!
70B096EB-B0DC-4ABD-BC32-E74A9223C26E.jpeg
9BD9C7E9-8312-4E50-B574-A1FF7BB8A1EB.jpeg
5EF29D9B-62AE-471E-8D26-24938DFCE14F.jpeg

1,000 Mile Update

The truck is so much smoother. P-R R-D there is no shake at all. I'm religious about greasing the slip yoke, and before it wasn't too bad...but now there is nothing. It's shifting up much sooner and holding gears for longer. I'm shocked, my mpgs are up 1.1-1.3 over the last 1,000 miles. This is a great mod for people who live in mild climates and use their trucks 98% on the pavement.

The spool install was a very fun project. Tricky in a couple spots. I would imagine this is a little easier in the 80 series without the y pipe in the way there.

BB76235D-947C-4FA4-88AD-A9060B653BCC.jpeg

6EA2C134-55C3-42EB-B041-136AA3A8C838.jpeg

72F82696-A1C6-486A-A2BC-D9CF676B4D1F.jpeg

FEA3403B-A01A-4B70-802E-2D33793BDE00.jpeg

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I like what I see with this mod. Unfortunately, I did not know about this earlier this year when I ordered a set of new OEM CV axles and wheel flanges and related parts. Everything is still in the box.

I'm looking for opinions on what people would do if they were in my situation.

I have the front diff out to install a locking 3rd member. I've been doing other front end replacement work leading up to the front axle.

I'm still learning a lot from this forum . I would like to have a triple locked LX with front axle lockouts. Just trying to figure out how to change course before I start installing the OEM CV axle related parts that I still have in boxes.

Research that I need to do is about the transfer case spool understanding the change that comes with it.

No plans to use the LX as a daily driver. Though I believe it would be nice to have front lock outs on a long trip out west or to an off-road destination.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I like what I see with this mod. Unfortunately, I did not know about this earlier this year when I ordered a set of new OEM CV axles and wheel flanges and related parts. Everything is still in the box.

I'm looking for opinions on what people would do if they were in my situation.

I have the front diff out to install a locking 3rd member. I've been doing other front end replacement work leading up to the front axle.

I'm still learning a lot from this forum . I would like to have a triple locked LX with front axle lockouts. Just trying to figure out how to change course before I start installing the OEM CV axle related parts that I still have in boxes.

Research that I need to do is about the transfer case spool understanding the change that comes with it.

No plans to use the LX as a daily driver. Though I believe it would be nice to have front lock outs on a long trip out west or to an off-road destination.

Your OEM CV axles will work fine with Cruiser Outfitters kit. The only parts you won't use are the drive flanges.

With the transfer case spool installed, your normal configuration is 2WD. When you want 4WD, you'll lock the hubs, and push your Center Diff Lock button. That button has now become your 4WD switch. :)

There are pretty much no downsides to the part time conversion. The only reason I didn't jump on it is because eleventy one months out of a year we get sloppy wet winter weather which is pretty much the only time where the stock all-time 4wd/AWD configuration is better than a part time setup.

Sell (or may be return) your front hub flanges and replace them with the locking hubs!

Been a couple weeks of daily use with my PT kit fully installed. It definitely reduces torque steer around town and it obviously greatly reduces CV wear all the time you aren’t using them. Where this kit really shines is on the highway. The cruiser just holds speed way better, doesn’t chase itself around the groves in the road, etc. The steering feel is great, but I also replaced my rack while the truck was on stands so that’s not necessarily a fair comparison.

Regardless for a 100 that doesn’t live through harsh winters this is definitely a positive mod. May not make sense on a stock cruiser, since they don’t struggle as much with CV wear and Torque Steer. But running big tires and lift and torching CVs all the time, this will be great for me!

It seems like every time this comes up people are just confounded as to why someone would go PT on a full time cruiser, I just recommend you read this thread and get an idea of the benefits. It’s a pretty polarizing mod; either no way you’re going to do it, or you absolutely have to have it.

For me I have been happy....also who doesn’t love these blingy gold hubs 🤤

F8C451AF-F55F-4AB2-B588-71C48BD0A369.jpeg

Your OEM CV axles will work fine with Cruiser Outfitters kit. The only parts you won't use are the drive flanges.

With the transfer case spool installed, your normal configuration is 2WD. When you want 4WD, you'll lock the hubs, and push your Center Diff Lock button. That button has now become your 4WD switch. :)
There are pretty much no downsides to the part time conversion. The only reason I didn't jump on it is because eleventy one months out of a year we get sloppy wet winter weather which is pretty much the only time where the stock all-time 4wd/AWD configuration is better than a part time setup.

Sell (or may be return) your front hub flanges and replace them with the locking hubs!

Thanks for the info. Now I understand. I plan to call Cruiser Outfitters today. I called Cruiser Brothers and talked about the kit in the link. I think this is what I need.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom