LC100/LX470 Part-Time Conversion Discussion (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This seems like it would actually be an ideal gear ratio if someone was going with 33.5-34" tire. I have 4.88s and with 34" tires, I am running about 6% high at the speedo. With my gearing, I am at about 29-30 MPH per 1000 RPM in top gear (4th on my 1999).
I am wanting to be in that 34-35" range, I felt that this was definitely the biggest bang for the buck with respect to all around awesomeness. also way easier than getting into the Diff's IMHO.

Kurt- Got a dumb question: With the spool installed, the CDL button becomes the 4WD on/off switch right? So if in the rare case the switch or actuator fails somehow- no 4wd? Got another dumb question: Are there any other operational concerns to consider- say like the Mrs. is driving the truck and inadvertently pushed the diff lock button while the hubs are unlocked- what happens?

If you did have a switch or actuator failure, you would would have 2WD only. Fortunately it's not a failure we see/hear about. As for the engaging the front half of the t-case while driving... exactly the same as doing so in every 4x/5x/6x/7x, if you're moving slow it's not going to be noticed, if at highway speed it would be trying to match the front and rear output shafts which will be noisy. Just like trying to shift from H-L while moving. Just don't do it :D

I'd really like to do this upgrade, and thinking ahead through the process of installation (Ive got Slee belly skid so Ive got a little prep work to do to get at the TC): seems to make sense that since I haven't re-geared diffs, maybe doing the 3:1 low range reduction and 10% high range under drive "while Im in there" is worth consideration. Are the new gear sets for high range & low range cut the same way as factory gears; what's the expectation of TC gear noise with the new set up?

Any gear change will cause increased noise. Different cases will exhibit more or less. There are some long threads here on Mud about this, I'll try and dig them up. I explain it this way, it's about like going from a street tire to an All-Terrain. You'll notice it, nobody else in the car will know the difference.

If you did have a switch or actuator failure, you would would have 2WD only. Fortunately it's not a failure we see/hear about. As for the engaging the front half of the t-case while driving... exactly the same as doing so in every 4x/5x/6x/7x, if you're moving slow it's not going to be noticed, if at highway speed it would be trying to match the front and rear output shafts which will be noisy. Just like trying to shift from H-L while moving. Just don't do it :D

Any gear change will cause increased noise. Different cases will exhibit more or less. There are some long threads here on Mud about this, I'll try and dig them up. I explain it this way, it's about like going from a street tire to an All-Terrain. You'll notice it, nobody else in the car will know the difference.

Kurt- Thanks for replying. Im not so concerned with subtle increase in gear noise while operating in Low range, its to be expected. I was thinking more of High range with the 10% reduction gears.

If I were to get on the schedule to ship my TC to you for the "Trifecta": Install of High range 10% reduction, the spool and the 3.1 Low range reduction, generally speaking how long to turn it around?

Kurt- Thanks for replying. Im not so concerned with subtle increase in gear noise while operating in Low range, its to be expected. I was thinking more of High range with the 10% reduction gears.

If I were to get on the schedule to ship my TC to you for the "Trifecta": Install of High range 10% reduction, the spool and the 3.1 Low range reduction, generally speaking how long to turn it around?

If we schedule it perfectly, a less than a week.

I know quite a few of these have shipped. Let's see some installed pics! :cool:

71469.jpeg

Someone just posted a sale thread somewhere that had this kit installed. It was with Rock Warrior wheels too. It looked good. Trying to remember where I saw it.

Here it is:

Last edited:
well, I can report back on mine, everything is working as advertised, there is a little gear whine from the 10% under drive gear but that is it. my mileage went up a little maybe if you are concerned about things like that..

well, I can report back on mine, everything is working as advertised, there is a little gear whine from the 10% under drive gear but that is it. my mileage went up a little maybe if you are concerned about things like that..

Oh really? What are you seeing mpg wise now?

after correcting for tire size and and the 10% under drive I think I got like +1 maybe on my last tank. this is definitely going to cover the cost of the kit!

So +1 makes it a 10% increase :D

Ordered.

What were you averaging prior?
10-14 maybe? for some reason people care about mileage but we all drive cruisers? it is better than my 40 I guess.

another addition to the list, just changed the gear oil in the t-case and the gears are getting quieter as they break in.

I installed my part time kit alittle less than 2 weeks ago. I could not be happier with the results. Truck rides even smoother. Gas mileage has increased a bit too. More miles will tell how much better, but even bit helps.

10-14 maybe? for some reason people care about mileage but we all drive cruisers? it is better than my 40 I guess.

another addition to the list, just changed the gear oil in the t-case and the gears are getting quieter as they break in.

This is one of those subjective, how loud is loud thing, but on the gear whine from the underdrive, is it something that that say, your wife would notice or is it something that only you notice as a change? I'm thinking the underdrive might make sense for me and I'm trying to calibrate what to expect.

This is one of those subjective, how loud is loud thing, but on the gear whine from the underdrive, is it something that that say, your wife would notice or is it something that only you notice as a change? I'm thinking the underdrive might make sense for me and I'm trying to calibrate what to expect.
I only notice it driving out of my neighborhood, once I am on a larger road traveling 45+ I can't hear it over all the other road and wind noise and if the radio is on even just very low I can't hear it unless I really focus, As a engineer and the one who did the install i think that i have also been hyper sensitive to any perceived changes in my truck. There is no way my wife would notice, her odyssey sounds like it is going to explode every time I start it up...

I am really happy with the recovered power with the under drive, I would be the first thing I did after a lift/tires on future builds. @cruiseroutfit you guys should up sell every lift with the under drive for the 80's and 100's!

...I am really happy with the recovered power with the under drive, I would be the first thing I did after a lift/tires on future builds. @cruiseroutfit you guys should up sell every lift with the under drive for the 80's and 100's!

:cool:

I'm glad to hear you're so happy with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom