LC 250 & GX550 Picture Thread (67 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

basically it looks like a rebodied LC with less specs and no hybrid engine (save for one or two grades probably that might have it trd pro/limited?)

Also doesn't the 4runner have versions without 4wd? 2wd 4runners.

Basically an even cheaper Land Cruiser.

(just a guess) they could shock us with some new features but I doubt it.

basically it looks like a rebodied LC with less specs and no hybrid engine (save for one or two grades probably that might have it trd pro/limited?)

Also doesn't the 4runner have versions without 4wd? 2wd 4runners.

Basically an even cheaper Land Cruiser.

(just a guess) they could shock us with some new features but I doubt it.
Yes, they sell tons of 2runners in the southern US, even though they make absolutely no sense.

There's not a ton to see yet, but it looks mostly good to me. That low badging is probably a day1 delete for me. Looks like a big PITA to clean around.

Other thoughts: Looks like the frame rails extend far back and have nice protection for the rear end on rocks. I don't see an exhaust hanging down exposed to trail damage anywhere - so it may be more protected than the LC250. Hard to tell. Hitch integration looks great IMO. And hitch looks more robust than prior gen, so I'm guessing it'll get the same towing as Taco/LC250. You can see that the rear handle/camera area is unfinished. Obviously a prototype.

And it has a temp spare tire underneath. :( That tells me that it most likely has small OEM tires because the temps are probably only in one or two sizes.

I hope we don't see the quality drop off like the Tundra did with the GA-F model. The temp spare isn't necessarily an issue - but it doesn't give me warm fuzzy feelings about Toyota's newer products. I keep seeing more and more stories about Tundra lemon law buy backs, interior parts quality being low, and engine failures, blown cylinders, crank bearings etc. I hope the new 4R has more effort put into design and engineering than the Tundra. I question why show a teaser with an unfinished door trim? Does that mean we're still a year or 18 months from production?

1711643129572.png

Last edited:
Wonder why they needed to place the badge so low.
I have noticed that basically every new vehicle has to have CAR AND/OR VEHICLE NAME in block text across the entire tailgate instead of a logo and smaller badging on a corner. My assumption is that we are reaching some point in the decline of average human intelligence where this is now necessary to ensure an average person will recognize what kind of car they are looking at.

I have noticed that basically every new vehicle has to have CAR AND/OR VEHICLE NAME in block text across the entire tailgate instead of a logo and smaller badging on a corner. My assumption is that we are reaching some point in the decline of average human intelligence where this is now necessary to ensure an average person will recognize what kind of car they are looking at.
331.jpg

4Runner has been pretty consistent historically. I don't really care that much, but it's unusual to ditch what is part of what I tend to think is the signature look on the rear door. I think the 5th gen rear profile with the 5 sided shape like the front grill looked pretty good and was a nice detail. If anything the LC250 looks like it took the styling straight out of the 4Runner playbook.
1711657565235.png
1711657621564.png

1711657678089.png
1711657749767.png

1711657806133.png

It's also just cheap. IMO - if you want the name down there - emboss it so we can clean the damn thing without breaking the letters off. I hate the stick on letters on the side of my Tundra. PITA to clean all the dirt around them.

Edit: also one funny side thought - the letters are probably not legal in Europe. Ford wasn't allowed to put the bronco emblem on the USA bronco on for EU markets because it was too dangerous if it hit a pedestrian (despite being practically impossible to actually hit anyone where it's located).
1711661143341.png

Last edited:
It's also just cheap. IMO - if you want the name down there - emboss it so we can clean the damn thing without breaking the letters off. I hate the stick on letters on the side of my Tundra. PITA to clean all the dirt around them.

I like that but it can make panel repair a problem if the embossed area gets damaged.

Edit: also one funny side thought - the letters are probably not legal in Europe. Ford wasn't allowed to put the bronco emblem on the USA bronco on for EU markets because it was too dangerous if it hit a pedestrian (despite being practically impossible to actually hit anyone where it's located).
View attachment 3593461
Note to Ford buyers, don't worry about the spare tire, hinges or taillight crushing you, it's the little horsie that's out to get you... EU :rolleyes:

There’s a good chance they retain the roll down rear window with the back being so flat.

At least it comes with a painted rear bumper unlike the 250…
I had a 4th gen 4Runner for 13 years. I've never understood this obsession over the roll down rear window. A flip-up rear window is cheaper, less likely to have expensive parts break, is faster to open and close, etc.

I had a 4th gen 4Runner for 13 years. I've never understood this obsession over the roll down rear window. A flip-up rear window is cheaper, less likely to have expensive parts break, is faster to open and close, etc.

And can't be opened part way. It's not an obsession but a great and useful feature.

I dont like the GX 460 but these seem like such a logical choice in the US if they get heavily discounted. Super reliable & actual Prado sized. The perfect mini 200.

GX 550 still needs to prove its reliability,

Dogs love the roll down window.

Plus you can drive with all of the windows down and have little to no wind buffeting because the air can escape the cabin out the back.

Where do you live? I think climate and urban/rural dictate a lot of the difference between people who use it a lot and don't.

Flip up isn't as useful to me. Can't drive with it open. Especially not off-road. Can't open with stuff on the roof without it hitting. Can't open part way. Can't use a ladder or rear mounted tire that blocks it. It's the cheapest option other than fixed glass. Cost cutting is pretty apparent throughout the all the new GA-F models including the 300. Wouldn't surprise me to see a flip or fixed window on the 4Runner.

I really like it on my tundra too. Can access the cab when I'm tailgating or camping. And with all the windows down and sunroof open it gets pretty close to a top off. If Toyota looks at the 4Runner as being a wrangler/bronco competitive model it's as close as they can get to open air experience without a top that comes off. And Toyota is way too conservative to build a convertible.

If they do keep it, I hope it's not like the new tundra where it's a much smaller window due to the high beltline than the last one and becomes kinda pointless. If calty did the design, we know it's not going to be great.

Last edited:
We had a first gen Sequoia and the roll down rear window was the best. Outside of an LC's split window/tailgate, a driver side barn door swing (like an FJ Cruiser) with a roll down rear window would be end game for me. Also while it is true that a flip up is likely more reliable, it's the same function as a regular door window and not any more complicated. They break, yeah, but realistically don't break that often.

I liked the roll down rear window for the half step open air experience it provided. I don’t really care about removable doors and tops so having all the windows down and sunroof open is a nice middle ground imo. Much easier to close everything up to when you park or if the weather takes a turn for the worst. The other benefit to it for me was I could roll it down and use it in tandem with that almost flat load floor the 4Runner has to transport some longer items by letting them hang out the back.

I had a 4th gen 4Runner for 13 years. I've never understood this obsession over the roll down rear window. A flip-up rear window is cheaper, less likely to have expensive parts break, is faster to open and close, et

Told ya before: the doggo. 🐕 💕 And yes, with the five windows down it feels like a convertible 😂.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom