LC 250 & GX550 Picture Thread (28 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To me it seems odd to choose an obscure model with few sales and almost no market recognition to lift a design que from. I don't hate it. Just not really a signature bodyline. Although, there's really not a lot of core Land Cruiser design features. The LC200 was pretty generic SUV looking. Not bad. Just nothing unusual. Maybe this will be the new signature look?

I think it looks good. Not sure how you translate that to an LC300 though - it probably requires either lowering the belt line down the doors and side windows or results in a very small rear side window. It's a tricky style element to add to the LC300 design as it currently is.
That design cue never reached production
The 4 door 70 that came later looked different.

So it was interesting to see a design cue that never made it past concept/prototype stage, surface again 30+ years later..this time finally reaching production.

Heritage is heritage I suppose.

I agree they probably won't add it to the lc300 unless either it goes through a large facelift in the future (that would still be years away - after the upcoming minor facelift by a few years) or just never apply it...by then they could just come up with another signature look if that's what they want.

Maybe someone has said this already, but is Mr. T going to have the same result as they did before with having a Land Cruiser be outsold by a Lexus version of the same vehicle? Maybe they should have just offered more versions of the 300 here to bring the price down on base models (like in Australia).

I think a lot of that would also depend on what the new 4R looks like!

Maybe someone has said this already, but is Mr. T going to have the same result as they did before with having a Land Cruiser be outsold by a Lexus version of the same vehicle? Maybe they should have just offered more versions of the 300 here to bring the price down on base models (like in Australia).
I think it'll depend on price and MPG numbers and the 4Runner ^.

If the LC is really 27mpg and the GX is 17 and LC is $55-65 and GX is $70-90k - I think LC sells about 5:1 over the GX.

If the LC is 22mpg and GX is 20 and LC street price is $65k+ while GX base is $65k - Then I think GX probably does outsell the LC.

I do think they should have just offered the LC300. It makes very little sense to have both models now that they are so similar. I like the LC250 styling a bit better in some aspects. But they're functionally the same vehicle, so I guess I don't really care.

The same segment with 3 vehicles is becoming Toyota's market strategy now though. The Rav4, Venza, and NX are all the same thing, but now instead of a Toyota and Lexus version, they have a Toyota version A and B and a Lexus version. Arguably a failed Toyota version C with the BZ4X. The same appears to be the case for the Highlander, RX350 and now adding the Crown SUV that is the same vehicle in a 3rd model that fits somewhere between Highlander and RX despite a lot of overlap already. And the Camry, Crown sedan, ES350 fit the same pattern. The new LC/GX appears to be the equivalent of that only moving to 4 models of the same vehicle going 4Runner, LC, GX, LX with a lot of overlap between them. Not sure why it makes sense, but that does appear to be Toyota's market strategy.

I am super curious to see what happens with the 4Runner. If it ends up being an evolutionary update to the existing one on the same 112" rolling chassis as the LC250 - I'd say the LC and GX are both destined for low volumes and the 4R will reign supreme as the best value proposition and the best off-road option. It'll presumably come in TRD Pro and Trailhunter models - both of which should be a fair bit more capable than either LC or GX out of the box. The GX would offer luxury and towing benefits. The LC would be hard to identify a value over the 4R. If the 4R gets handicapped (classic toyota move) then it's hard to know how it shakes out.

Last edited:
The GX should be considered comparable / equivalent to the LC300 and the LC250 to the current 4R but not to each other.

Time will tell if the new 4R will also be but as so many have said, it doesn't make much sense for it continue to be. If anything it will be less than, leaving the GX alone as the true US Land Cruiser and the 250 as a middle compromise.

The GX should be considered comparable / equivalent to the LC300 and the LC250 to the current 4R but not to each other.

Time will tell if the new 4R will also be but as so many have said, it doesn't make much sense for it continue to be. If anything it will be less than, leaving the GX alone as the true US Land Cruiser and the 250 as a middle compromise.

What would you compare a LC300 with a 1GR and 6AT to?

What is it that you are differentiating if not the powertrain or the body or chassis?

Once again, all have accepted that you feel that they are ‘functionally the same vehicle’ just as you will need to accept that others disagree. That we are not playing the leading question game has already been established, especially since it’s all been covered more than once.

Once again, all have accepted that you feel that they are ‘functionally the same vehicle’ just as you will need to accept that others disagree. That we are not playing the leading question game has already been established, especially since it’s all been covered more than once.
It's not a leading question. It's just what you've said. I'm trying to understand the logic. Help me understand what you think the difference is.

Calty has been hard at work with the LC name

First the 250 design
Now the Land Cruiser Sports Electric
I think they will also do the Land cruiser mini design as well that we saw a teaser of.
Screenshot_20231025_212306_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20231025_212905_Instagram.jpg

Lunar cruiser too

Screenshot_20231025_212856_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the US market will have atleast two land cruiser badged vehicles for sale later this decade.
The 250 LC...the LC Se (if it ever reaches production) & maybe even the mini LC.

Also
Personal opinion.
The lc250 looks better without the rear spoiler
GCC style pintle hook would look cool on that bumper too.
Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 9.41.43 PM.png

and even better without roof rails
editors-images-1690968680565-Land+Cruiser+5.jpg

I think it'll depend on price and MPG numbers and the 4Runner ^.

If the LC is really 27mpg and the GX is 17 and LC is $55-65 and GX is $70-90k - I think LC sells about 5:1 over the GX.

If the LC is 22mpg and GX is 20 and LC street price is $65k+ while GX base is $65k - Then I think GX probably does outsell the LC.

I do think they should have just offered the LC300. It makes very little sense to have both models now that they are so similar. I like the LC250 styling a bit better in some aspects. But they're functionally the same vehicle, so I guess I don't really care.

The same segment with 3 vehicles is becoming Toyota's market strategy now though. The Rav4, Venza, and NX are all the same thing, but now instead of a Toyota and Lexus version, they have a Toyota version A and B and a Lexus version. Arguably a failed Toyota version C with the BZ4X. The same appears to be the case for the Highlander, RX350 and now adding the Crown SUV that is the same vehicle in a 3rd model that fits somewhere between Highlander and RX despite a lot of overlap already. And the Camry, Crown sedan, ES350 fit the same pattern. The new LC/GX appears to be the equivalent of that only moving to 4 models of the same vehicle going 4Runner, LC, GX, LX with a lot of overlap between them. Not sure why it makes sense, but that does appear to be Toyota's market strategy.

I am super curious to see what happens with the 4Runner. If it ends up being an evolutionary update to the existing one on the same 112" rolling chassis as the LC250 - I'd say the LC and GX are both destined for low volumes and the 4R will reign supreme as the best value proposition and the best off-road option. It'll presumably come in TRD Pro and Trailhunter models - both of which should be a fair bit more capable than either LC or GX out of the box. The GX would offer luxury and towing benefits. The LC would be hard to identify a value over the 4R. If the 4R gets handicapped (classic toyota move) then it's hard to know how it shakes out.
Latest reviewers saying GX $60k and up. If it's $90k top then I'll likely flip mine and get something better for me (GX not worth $90k imo).

As everyone else, really curious on how the 4R/LC fit and compete against each other. 4R expected to top at what, $55k?

Latest reviewers saying GX $60k and up. If it's $90k top then I'll likely flip mine and get something better for me (GX not worth $90k imo).

As everyone else, really curious on how the 4R/LC fit and compete against each other. 4R expected to top at what, $55k?
forgot to say, 480trq for the GX is quite the jump from the LC - plus it could be tuned as we see with the Tundra or whatever

It doesn't seem like $5k difference between a base LC250 and GX is enough. I think the normal jump from base Toyota to base Lexus is more like 10-15k. Example is a base Highlander $36-55k and RX ranges from $48-$72k. Grand Highlander is $43-58k. Lexus TX is $55-75k. Both are $12k difference in base model and about $20k in top trim and overlap in the middle by a few thousand.

I was guessing LC ranging from $55-70k means GX at $65-90k. I have no special insight here. Just a guess based on other Toyota/Lexus twins. Maybe it'll be closer in price?

I think 4R currently is about $40-55k. I'd guess next gen might bump up to $43- 58k msrp. Hard to know without having any info on what the vehicle is. It wasn't long ago that the TRD OR was only a $2k bump over the base model and TRD Pro was only maybe another $3k. Now they're asking almost $10k more.

LC 300 is a big mac.
LC 250 is a big mac without trimmings.
GX 550 is a big mac with double trimmings, avocado, and fancy cheese.

4runner is a McDowell's big mick.

The current 4R and current GX460 are more similar but don't think many would consider them 'twins'.

Anyways, the 250 and 550 will target different demographics and expect the Lexus to be at least 15k higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom