Land Cruiser Pricing Announced (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's earlier than I expected. Last I talked to my dealer (not very in the loop) they were expecting end of 24
Just this week I saw a video where an auto journalist was saying that he didn't think the media drive event was happening until April.

One of the dealers I put my name in for the Land Cruiser just reached out and said they were allocated one First Edition and I could reserve it for $500 down non refundable. Total price is $77,449 plus taxes which includes a few dealer and port add ons like paint protection film and cargo matts, TRD air filter etc. $350 for special color Trail Dust. Without seeing one in person yet and test driving I passed and said they could offer it to the next in line.

Anyone else getting notices from their dealers yet?

Thank you for sharing.

Ok, so at least it does not seem "market adjusted". If I configure one in Toyota with trail dust color, vehicle protection package it comes down to $77194 with the "delivery, processing and handling fee" of $1495.

At least they did not tell you $10k or $7k or $4k adjusted as I have read on the GX550 thread 🤦🏿‍♀️.

Thank you for sharing this. 👌🏿

The price is based on what Toyota thinks people will pay for it beyond what it costs to build one (R&D, parts, labor, tooling, advertising, etc).

The price is based on what Toyota thinks people will pay for it beyond what it costs to build one (R&D, parts, labor, tooling, advertising, etc).
Pricing 101 (the capitalist model)

1) Cost
2) Profit Margin
3) Price

Without all three, there would be no product produced, or, you would get a Lada.

Seems that the major issue with pricing is NOT what Toyota needs to cover their costs and profit but what dealers are selfishly adding on for the simple reason that they can. It's nothing more than taking advantage of those who eagerly stand in line to be taken advantage of.

Not for nothing but they both deserve each other. If Toyota had integrity they would stop sending vehicles to those who take part.

Not for nothing but they both deserve each other. If Toyota had integrity they would stop sending vehicles to those who take part.
I suspect the laws pertaining to dealerships do not allow the manufacturer to set pricing. These dealerships only exist due to paid lobbyists for dealership owners making sure they keep the statutes in place. It’s another thing that will disappear in time.

The dealership model made sense when cars needed frequent repairs, which is no longer the case. The dealerships represent an unnecessary middleman that is stealing money from the consumer with little or no benefit to them as cars are reliable, new car makers like Tesla have shown, they can still service cars without having a dealership.

My young nephew saw his dad by a Tesla on his phone and could not believe you had to go to a dealership to buy other cars. It made no sense to him. When we get enough people like him in office, the dealership model will fall. To my nephew it’s equally ridiculous to watch live TV. He’s used to being able to fast-forward and rewind when he wants to.

Last edited:
Reactions: OSS
Do you understand that the largest amount of income at a dealership comes from the service department?

Comparing to a Tesla is apples/oranges. You are talking about a car with no needed maintenance intervals.

I hate, and will not buy from, a dealer that prices above retail. That's just my choice. I DO use a dealer for needed maintenance, particularly when the vehicle is still under warranty.

Seems that the major issue with pricing is NOT what Toyota needs to cover their costs and profit but what dealers are selfishly adding on for the simple reason that they can. It's nothing more than taking advantage of those who eagerly stand in line to be taken advantage of.

FFS, all of the whining about pricing is unbelievable. Since when is it “selfish” to want to earn the best living for yourself or your family, or to maximize profits or shareholder value? Manufacturers need to cover their costs plus make a profit and so do dealerships. They both provide a lot of jobs to a lot of people, pay a lot of taxes, and contribute to the economy in many ways. If they don’t make profits they go out of business. Either you can afford (and desire) to pay a price for something, or you find an alternative or negotiate, or you don’t buy. We are all greedy! Get over it! :flipoff2:

Edited to add flipoff emoji and to say (this post is meant as a friendly ribbing @Phillyd2)

Last edited:
Ok, if I'm going to give people sh*t about complaining about pricing, I should quit being such a lurker and share a little more...

I like nice things, like Toyota Land Cruisers, but I am a cheap bastard and love a good deal. When I decided I wanted to buy a 200, I test drove one close to home and tried to negotiate on a couple of them at my local dealers. They didn't want to negotiate from msrp so I turned to the internet, searched nationwide, and found a teaser listing at a Columbus, OH dealer that seemed too good to be true; almost $10k under msrp. I called to verify that they would honor that price and the sales guy said yes. So I roadtripped over to Columbus and sealed the deal on a 2020HE. The salesman said 200's sell really slow and they were happy to move it.

A year later, Ram is releasing the Trx and they are the hot new thing and I want one bad. I call my local dealer and several Michigan dealers who have allocations, but all want to sell with ADMs (like most dealers nationwide). I keep searching and find a small dealer 45 minutes away who has no allocations, but the salesman is super cool and says "if you can be patient, let's place a sold order in the exact configuration you want and they should eventually pick it up. How does $4k below invoice sound?" So, I jump on that and about 4 months later I have my Trx.

Same deal with my wife's BMW x5; local dealers tell me to pound sand and I find a big dealer in Illinois that has one with the options she wants, has about 4,000 executive miles on it; we save about $10k.

So...my point is, kicking and screaming about greed is unlikely to bear fruit. Be frugal but be patient, be proactive, and be firm on what you will pay. With some research and a lot of phone calls, you'll find your deal.

A lot of people complained about "200 series luxury bloat." Unfortunately, pandemic inflation is the new luxury bloat. I paid about $80k for my 2020HE and now some of the new 250's and GX's are almost that expensive. When with cost of raw materials and labor skyrocketed the last few years, everything got more expensive. By definition, you get less at a higher cost. In some ways the new Prado is better than a 200, but also in some ways they are not. The great thing is we all get to vote with our dollars!

Ok, if I'm going to give people sh*t about complaining about pricing, I should quit being such a lurker and share a little more...

I like nice things, like Toyota Land Cruisers, but I am a cheap bastard and love a good deal. When I decided I wanted to buy a 200, I test drove one close to home and tried to negotiate on a couple of them at my local dealers. They didn't want to negotiate from msrp so I turned to the internet, searched nationwide, and found a teaser listing at a Columbus, OH dealer that seemed too good to be true; almost $10k under msrp. I called to verify that they would honor that price and the sales guy said yes. So I roadtripped over to Columbus and sealed the deal on a 2020HE. The salesman said 200's sell really slow and they were happy to move it.

A year later, Ram is releasing the Trx and they are the hot new thing and I want one bad. I call my local dealer and several Michigan dealers who have allocations, but all want to sell with ADMs (like most dealers nationwide). I keep searching and find a small dealer 45 minutes away who has no allocations, but the salesman is super cool and says "if you can be patient, let's place a sold order in the exact configuration you want and they should eventually pick it up. How does $4k below invoice sound?" So, I jump on that and about 4 months later I have my Trx.

Same deal with my wife's BMW x5; local dealers tell me to pound sand and I find a big dealer in Illinois that has one with the options she wants, has about 4,000 executive miles on it; we save about $10k.

So...my point is, kicking and screaming about greed is unlikely to bear fruit. Be frugal but be patient, be proactive, and be firm on what you will pay. With some research and a lot of phone calls, you'll find your deal.

A lot of people complained about "200 series luxury bloat." Unfortunately, pandemic inflation is the new luxury bloat. I paid about $80k for my 2020HE and now some of the new 250's and GX's are almost that expensive. When with cost of raw materials and labor skyrocketed the last few years, everything got more expensive. By definition, you get less at a higher cost. In some ways the new Prado is better than a 200, but also in some ways they are not. The great thing is we all get to vote with our dollars!
Everything you've said is true. On top of it all, the Fed had kept rates so low for so long that it also allowed prices on any assets tied to long-term private debt to skyrocket (cars, houses, college loans, etc.). A recipe for disaster if your interest is in preserving the value of our dollar and having a low time preference.

FFS, all of the whining about pricing is unbelievable. Since when is it “selfish” to want to earn the best living for yourself or your family, or to maximize profits or shareholder value? Manufacturers need to cover their costs plus make a profit and so do dealerships. They both provide a lot of jobs to a lot of people, pay a lot of taxes, and contribute to the economy in many ways. If they don’t make profits they go out of business. Either you can afford (and desire) to pay a price for something, or you find an alternative or negotiate, or you don’t buy. We are all greedy! Get over it! :flipoff2:

Edited to add flipoff emoji and to say (this post is meant as a friendly ribbing @Phillyd2)

Taken in good nature, no worries, but if you believe that these market adjustments are anything more than an opportunistic money grab simply because they can then bless your heart. There's profit and then there's this. :p

Taken in good nature, no worries, but if you believe that these market adjustments are anything more than an opportunistic money grab simply because they can then bless your heart. There's profit and then there's this. :p
If they don't do it then the flippers will. Market adjustments are a measure of demand and what the consumer base will bear. If people don't give in, the adjustments will go away. Prices are signals for resource allocation.

I won’t argue; ADM’s are exactly that, an opportunistic money grab. A lot of people, including me, will refuse to pay them. I think the only area we differ is that I won’t condemn the dealers or manufacturers for that pricing behavior. It’s human nature and absent supply issues like we saw during recent time, it’s usually pretty rare when dealers can ask for ADM’s. Like @shane0mack mentions above; it’s shocking how much wealth there is in the population and how many people are willing to pay them when it comes to desirable and scarce vehicles.

And thanks for your sense of humor. Hopefully I can buy you a beer (or two) someday.

ADM is good training for young people. As they say, a fool and his money are soon parted. Learn to respect the value of money and you will never pay ADM or SRP.

ADM is good training for young people. As they say, a fool and his money are soon parted. Learn to respect the value of money and you will never pay ADM or SRP.

People who respect the value of money don't buy new cars. Or Land Cruisers honestly. Every Land Cruiser I've owned has been a bold faced disrespect of my own money and yet here I am...

People who respect the value of money don't buy new cars. Or Land Cruisers honestly. Every Land Cruiser I've owned has been a bold faced disrespect of my own money and yet here I am...

To a certain point, I'd disagree.
IF you buy cars every couple of years, say 4-5 years, yes, buying a new Land Cruiser (or any 4x4 Toyota, really) is a disreepct of your own money, though less so than other brands that lose 50% of their value in that timeframe.

IF you buy with the intention of keeping the vehicle for 10+ years, I think it's a reasonable thing to do. I bought my Tacoma certified used, and probably paid too much. But, after some detailing and maybe a hood replacement, I could sell it for what I paid for it, 13 years later. That's an incredible return on the money spent.

I feel that the light duty Toyota rigs (Tacoma, 4Runner, GX4xx) are the best value for dollar spent.

To a certain point, I'd disagree.
IF you buy cars every couple of years, say 4-5 years, yes, buying a new Land Cruiser (or any 4x4 Toyota, really) is a disreepct of your own money, though less so than other brands that lose 50% of their value in that timeframe.

IF you buy with the intention of keeping the vehicle for 10+ years, I think it's a reasonable thing to do. I bought my Tacoma certified used, and probably paid too much. But, after some detailing and maybe a hood replacement, I could sell it for what I paid for it, 13 years later. That's an incredible return on the money spent.

I feel that the light duty Toyota rigs (Tacoma, 4Runner, GX4xx) are the best value for dollar spent.

I don't mind what people do with their money, but I think you're proving my point by saying you got a CPO Tacoma instead of a new Land Cruiser :)

I don't mind what people do with their money, but I think you're proving my point by saying you got a CPO Tacoma instead of a new Land Cruiser :)

A CPO Land Cruiser was WAY out of my budget at the time, let alone a new one. And I wanted something with a factory warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom