Lack of low end Torque/power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey i have a 80 series Landcruiser (Diesel) and have had an issue since i bought it, taking off from stop start it is very sluggish until around 2k revs and it gets up and goes fine.
It's worse when cold, it has an after market 2.5" exhaust still has 2 or 3 mufflers in it (havn't had a chance to actually check) i noticed there are cracks starting on the welds on the mufflers and its making a rattly noise, could it be something to do with my exhaust or maybe more towards diesel pump or fueling system ? Any help much appreciated.
12990973_1208656169144565_7170497057893194379_n.jpg

Older diesels have a lot of turbo lag naturally.
You will probably benefit from an intercooler, probably some attention to the injection pump too.
Intercoolers usually add some lag especially when the piping is too long as in front mount intercooler vs top mount, but they do add more power.

I would recommend you check out the diesel section of this forum for more ideas and good advise from compression heads.

Diesel Tech / 24 volts

That's funny. I have a petrol 1fz that launches nicely off the line but turns weak and mushy up near 2-3k.

Okay so i had a brief look on the Diesel tech and have noticed one thing, my Turbo light comes on around 2000-2100 and some one has mentioned this

"I turns on whenever the turbo is producing any kind of boost. If you hit the gas hard when the truck is at 1000 rpm, then it's gonna flash. If you go very slow on the gas, it might get up to somewhere between 1500-1900 rpm before the light comes on"

Also noticed a fair bit of slack in my Kick down cable, will make the adjustments when i get my tools back of my fathers boat. Another possible cause ? just trying to eliminate possible causes.

Ok so have another possible cause, a friend of mine mentioned my DPF (Diesel particular filter) could be blocked, do these even have them if so how would i go about it ? thanks in advance

Hey i have a 80 series Landcruiser (Diesel) and have had an issue since i bought it, taking off from stop start it is very sluggish until around 2k revs and it gets up and goes fine.
It's worse when cold, it has an after market 2.5" exhaust still has 2 or 3 mufflers in it (havn't had a chance to actually check) i noticed there are cracks starting on the welds on the mufflers and its making a rattly noise, could it be something to do with my exhaust or maybe more towards diesel pump or fueling system ? Any help much appreciated.View attachment 1254809
Hi i have just purchased a truck with exactly the same issue, what was the fix for this????
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom