KZJ78 Suspension Install; DIY (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys! My KZJ78 is in need of a suspension upgrade since I still have the old shocks and springs from when I bought it in Japan. I ordered the 2” lift kit from Dobinsons and I have been going around to different shops in my area to see about getting the kit installed. The problem is that since it’s a Japanese import, all three shops are not willing to work on the vehicle. They claim that if they work on my truck and it needs replacement bolts, bushings, etc, they won’t be able to order it. Another shop said something similar to the first shop but they added that they don’t know the specs anything has to be set to since there’s nothing in their sources on how to work on my rig. The other shops don’t install equipment not bought from them or they say they are 3-4 weeks booked.
I think I have to do this myself. Is there a complete step-by-step on how to install the kit myself? Anything in particular I should watch out for if I want to tackle this myself?
The main reason why I wanted to pay someone was so they align it and it’ll be faster since they have lifts and I don’t have enough time during the day but I’ll have to make time. Also, is alignment an issue for imported trucks? I honestly think they simply didn’t want the business and threw all the excuses at me haha

D7EE4665-C40F-4914-951C-B468CC9676C0.jpeg

I would go to a parts catalog and find all the hardware you will touch and get replacements(new) since some may get damaged if they haven’t been moved since new. You should be able to find alignment specs for it online somewhere or here, some homework for you. Otherwise should be straight forward. Support the frame with jack stands, remove the wheels and use the floor jack to lift/drop components as needed. Maybe if you label all the new hardware where they go someone will work on it. Any alignment shop should be able to do the alignment if you provide them with the specs.

Slee Off Road does a great job with technical guides for installation. Installing OME Suspension. While you have a Dobinson suspension and a 70 series, their OME 80 series guide is very similar in scope.
I have installed many suspension systems in different Land Cruisers, Rovers and Jeeps. All of the solid axle with spring designs are similar. I agree with coldtaco you will need to invest in heavy duty jack stands and a floor jack.
I just had my KZJ71 aligned following my suspension install. Here are the specs I was able to get that the shop used. You may need to go to a smaller private shop rather than a chain that relies on a computer system to determine each vehicle specs.

Specs1.jpg

Slee Off Road does a great job with technical guides for installation. Installing OME Suspension. While you have a Dobinson suspension and a 70 series, their OME 80 series guide is very similar in scope.
I have installed many suspension systems in different Land Cruisers, Rovers and Jeeps. All of the solid axle with spring designs are similar. I agree with coldtaco you will need to invest in heavy duty jack stands and a floor jack.
I just had my KZJ71 aligned following my suspension install. Here are the specs I was able to get that the shop used. You may need to go to a smaller private shop rather than a chain that relies on a computer system to determine each vehicle specs.
Thank you very much! I will use this for when I find a shop willing to align it. I do need a set of stands and a good floor jack to do this myself. I found a couple of videos on similar components being used on other 70 series and will use that as a guide. My main concern would be breaking a bolt/nut or something that is too old due to being there for a while and then having to search for a replacement while I have everything opened up and on jacks.

I would go to a parts catalog and find all the hardware you will touch and get replacements(new) since some may get damaged if they haven’t been moved since new. You should be able to find alignment specs for it online somewhere or here, some homework for you. Otherwise should be straight forward. Support the frame with jack stands, remove the wheels and use the floor jack to lift/drop components as needed. Maybe if you label all the new hardware where they go someone will work on it. Any alignment shop should be able to do the alignment if you provide them with the specs.
I am doing that as we speak. I am searching for the bolts and looking at specs to see if they are compatible with either 60 or 80 series since they are more available in the USA. I do need a jack and a couple of stands. It should be a fun adventure haha

Hey guys! My KZJ78 is in need of a suspension upgrade since I still have the old shocks and springs from when I bought it in Japan. I ordered the 2” lift kit from Dobinsons and I have been going around to different shops in my area to see about getting the kit installed. The problem is that since it’s a Japanese import, all three shops are not willing to work on the vehicle. They claim that if they work on my truck and it needs replacement bolts, bushings, etc, they won’t be able to order it. Another shop said something similar to the first shop but they added that they don’t know the specs anything has to be set to since there’s nothing in their sources on how to work on my rig. The other shops don’t install equipment not bought from them or they say they are 3-4 weeks booked.
I think I have to do this myself. Is there a complete step-by-step on how to install the kit myself? Anything in particular I should watch out for if I want to tackle this myself?
The main reason why I wanted to pay someone was so they align it and it’ll be faster since they have lifts and I don’t have enough time during the day but I’ll have to make time. Also, is alignment an issue for imported trucks? I honestly think they simply didn’t want the business and threw all the excuses at me haha

View attachment 2644757
Some shops have so much business that they "only want to do what they want to do". They don't want to waste time and manpower doing non-standard parts searching/sourcing. With all the cheap knockoff parts you can find these days they are reluctant to use any customer supplied parts because they really want to be able to guarantee their work..... You may also be suffering from some strange laws, regulations, business atmosphere that exist in California "to protect you". Perhaps the shop is afraid they will be sued or held liable under some strange law??? They can stay busy and make money all day doing more "normal work".

When I want something out of the ordinary done on something unusual by someone else I find a shop in the country that is recommended by someone who knows, that has old vehicles and junk outside, a sign that says "BEWARE OF DOG", and inside old bearded men chain smoke in the office and over the machinery while using old paper catalogs to look up parts. I talk to them like I know what I'm doing, but need help. I explain I know it's unusual and If they can't do it I understand and if it later broke I wouldn't blame them for it. I source and find all the parts and information they may need to do the work.

You can do the job without replacing the bolts. It is a good Idea to replace bushings if your LC has more than 150K KM on the ODO(many JP vehicles are low mile for their age unlike here in the US.) Many will say it's not the proper way to do it if you don't replace everything. That may be true. If you want what you want you have to find the shop to do it and make them comfortable that you won't blame them if it breaks down the road.

You mention that you bought it when you were in Japan. If you are military and were stationed in Japan and are still in, go to the auto skills shop on the nearest base and they will help you get through it.

@KZJ78Sasebo , I personally would buy a pair of jack stands and "rent" the spring compressors from AutoZone. I think it took about 4-5 hours to do mine, and it was the first time I ever did this. Just take your time. There are quite a few build threads out there from @GTSSportCoupe , @JimmyPrado , etc, that detail this. I'm sure there are plenty of folks on this board with will chime in, if you get stuck...

I had to use my stock bottle jack to "push" the front and rear axles away from the body even with the springs compressed... Other than that, it really wasn't that hard.

I didn't strip out any bolts when I did mine. However, the "cushions" under each spring were not in the best condition. I would try to source those, if you plan on doing this yourself or outsourcing it.

To my knowledge, these rigs do not really come out of alignment spec that easily until you start changing tie rods and shim plates when rebuilding the front axle.

Last edited:
I didn't need to compress my springs, but make sure you disconnect the sway bar. By yourself you may need the compressor; I had a friend stand on the axle to provide enough space to put in the new springs. Also be mindful of the brake lines strectching (you'll notice a small backet you can disconnect to relieve strain) and your differential breather tubes.

Hey guys! My KZJ78 is in need of a suspension upgrade since I still have the old shocks and springs from when I bought it in Japan. I ordered the 2” lift kit from Dobinsons and I have been going around to different shops in my area to see about getting the kit installed. The problem is that since it’s a Japanese import, all three shops are not willing to work on the vehicle. They claim that if they work on my truck and it needs replacement bolts, bushings, etc, ...
I am doing this same install in a few weeks. Will post on my build thread. I ordered the bolts and bushings from Partsouq and Megazip just in case the kit doesn't have what I need. I got replacement rubber upper and lower insulators for rear coil as well.

Last edited:
I am doing this same install in a few weeks. Will post on my build thread. I ordered the bolts and bushings from Partsouq and Megazip just in case the kit doesn't have what I need. I got replacement rubber upper and lower insulators for rear coil as well.
The Dobinsons came with all the necessary hardware to do the front shocks/springs as well as the steering damper but there was no hardware for the rear suspension. I saved some of the rubber insulators that were in decent condition in case I need them for the rear install. The only thing I am worried about is the bolts since they seem in rough condition. I'll check Partsouq to get new bolts just for ease of mind

Gents, any post install updates? Pics of the final product? Looking to make a decision on which kit to go with. I have a 3.5-4 inch lift and want to go down to the 2" kit. TIA

Here is a before and after picture of mine. This is my second KZJ78 and my first post here. IronMan4x4 2" kit, that I hand carried from Australia 2-weeks ago (visiting family) for $599 AUD ($394 US) for four spring, four gas shocks and one steering stabilizer. Installed the kit this morning, took 2hr.45. Rides fantastic. Measured height change after driving all day, 3" on both fronts and 3.5 on the rears, so there was an inch (plus) of sag over the 30 years. 1993.

Before 2" Lift (Stock)
IMG20221010094124.jpg

After 2" Lift
20231124_162312.jpg

20231124_165539.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom