Events/Trails Kreiten's 2018 LCDC photos and technical discusion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What an absolutely epic year for the LCDC, huge thanks to @codyaustin5 , @indycole , @BTUMAN , @sleeoffroad and anyone else who put time and effort into making this happen! I will try to keep this as technical as possible while also posting pics and info on our experiences on the trail etc...
@Willy beamin sunset run on Black Bear!
i-RWzWM5D-X3.jpg

-Photo by Emily Reiten

Last edited:
@steenh Black Bear pass...
i-LjcHMck-X3.jpg

Photo by Emily Reiten

in the first photo you can see I'm running the ridge grapplers. Bought these as I was tired of running and MT / two sets for 70,000 + miles. loved the MT stick on mud and performance but wasn't quit sure how well these RG's were going to perform for my comfort on wet muddy Colorado high mountain passes. The RG's performed well. Not once was there a scare or concern. The deep voids allowed excellent shedding of debris and the few roads we hit in between trails it was nice to hear a muffled sound in stead of the normally clack clack of muddies. This year was way more dry than years past, only on the lower valley sections of trail. Up top we all got to realize if our tire choice were good decisions or not. Three recoveries happened that I'm aware of for the LCDC 2018 and those guys were running KO2's - take that as you will.

also ran the Icon CDCV's on the softest setting all week while in Telluride at 24 psi - no issues and the ride was butter.

My KO2's handled the mix of HITR and Colorado except for the trashing of the rear passenger tire. Major down to the metal gashes on both the inside and outside. Probably just one spot in HITR where that tire got wedged. For the small size, and narrow profile I was pretty happy with them... but I think I'm going to give the Ridge Grapplers a try in a 285/75/17 size. Should gain me an inch in height and almost that much in width. I rolled Nitto's on my 100 for a bunch of years and they worked well on East coast style trails.

I'm just glad you made it back home on those puncture wounded tires. Didn't stop us from rolling 65 mph @ 24 psi in a sand blizzard in BFE Utah loaded down, trying to make it to halls crossing before closing time for a gas refill did it?

I was at 18 psi :)

I'd have driven 80 to get to that station. Definitely short on gas... long on beer though so it could have been worse.

And not to mention I'm extremely impressed with the green jerry cans @sleeoffroad sells. We were running 40+ mph, I hit a series of bumps, the retainer I was using broke, the can shot up in the air, I drove out from underneath it and it hit hard and it was full of gas, aka...my way out of the desert. Steen picked it up for me and threw it in his passenger seat, because it wasn't leaking and was fine. tough as nails, highly suggest and stand behind those jerry cans.

We were running half tank of gas was a success. We all had no evap codes. Maybe Willy did.

I'm just glad you made it back home on those puncture wounded tires. Didn't stop us from rolling 65 mph @ 24 psi in a sand blizzard in BFE Utah loaded down, trying to make it to halls crossing before closing time for a gas refill did it?
I totally forgot about that...was I going too fast again? My toyo AT II extremes were at 18 psi.

I have been impressed with the LRA 12.5 gallon auxiliary gas tank that allowed me to run trails in both Moab and the San Juans without the need of extra gas cans. It allows you to retain the spare tire under the Land Cruiser with a little loss in clearance due to the spare hanging a little lower.

I’m sure @kreiten has a picture in his collection showing off my rear. :lol:

And not to mention I'm extremely impressed with the green jerry cans @sleeoffroad sells. We were running 40+ mph, I hit a series of bumps, the retainer I was using broke, the can shot up in the air, I drove out from underneath it and it hit hard and it was full of gas, aka...my way out of the desert. Steen picked it up for me and threw it in his passenger seat, because it wasn't leaking and was fine. tough as nails, highly suggest and stand behind those jerry cans.

I want to see this sand blizzard!

in preparation for this trip I swapped from OME 2721 rear springs to the Icon progressives. They ride butter smooth, especially when paired with icon shocks. However, I will mention that they seem to be a lower spring rate than the OMEs. with just a minor trip loadout, fridge, homemade drawers, tools, and a spare on the roof, the truck swayed like a drunken prom date.
had to remove the 100 lb spare from the roof for wheeling in Moab. probably would have been the nail in the coffin on Hells gate.

Moved the tire as far forward as I could without blocking the sunroof and left in in place for wheeling in Telluride. eliminated almost all of the sway.

Pics or it didn't happen....

in preparation for this trip I swapped from OME 2721 rear springs to the Icon progressives. They ride butter smooth, especially when paired with icon shocks. However, I will mention that they seem to be a lower spring rate than the OMEs. with just a minor trip loadout, fridge, homemade drawers, tools, and a spare on the roof, the truck swayed like a drunken prom date.
had to remove the 100 lb spare from the roof for wheeling in Moab. probably would have been the nail in the coffin on Hells gate.

Moved the tire as far forward as I could without blocking the sunroof and left in in place for wheeling in Telluride. eliminated almost all of the sway.

Pics or it didn't happen....

Why do you have the spare on the roof?! :eek:

2nd spare. One below, one on roof.
Had a flat in moab last year. Carry 2 on epic adventures now.

Cant fit the 35 underneath. Putting it in the back takes up 1/3 of the cargo area. With a fridge there is no room left for luggage and kid crap.

Running 295/70/18 on stock tundra steelie. In stock spare location

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom