Kaon Roof Shelf... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been trying to come up with a storage/mounting location inside the truck for my "Tire Table" and it finally hit me a couple days ago that I could mount it underneath the shelf. I tried bungees and straps and nothing held secure. Then I found these "Threaded Star Knobs" and decided to see if the bolts would fit in the little holes... and they fit PERFECTLY! Everything is nice and secure tightened up flat against the shelf and out of the way. In fact it extends further rearward than the shelf does and could be used as additional shelf space for soft goods. I'm throwing my heavy jacket/hat/gloves on it for quick access.

Tire Table:
View attachment 2480140

I have a similar setup with the tire table, a couple things that I did different...
1.. I rotated the table 90degrees in my mounting and that way it overhangs a lot less, I was able to mount it to the side without interfering with anything.
2.. I got some black rubber weatherstripping and mounted it under the KAON, you can't hardly tell unless you look, but it gives enough cushion to silence any rattling with the tire table (started noticing some with bumps around the neighborhood, and would have been unbearable offroad)

I have a similar setup with the tire table, a couple things that I did different...
1.. I rotated the table 90degrees in my mounting and that way it overhangs a lot less, I was able to mount it to the side without interfering with anything.
2.. I got some black rubber weatherstripping and mounted it under the KAON, you can't hardly tell unless you look, but it gives enough cushion to silence any rattling with the tire table (started noticing some with bumps around the neighborhood, and would have been unbearable offroad)

The weather stripping makes a ton of sense. I haven't had much in the way of rattling, but that's probably because I only mount it when I'm going camping and tighten it excessively. It's never mounted long enough to loosen up. That said, I think I'll be doing the weather stripping mod this weekend. Would be great to see a photo of what kind you used.

I have had the Kaon shelf and the Trekboxx alpha for a while now. When I first put in the Kaon shelf the fridge I had in the Trekboxx was two wide to have the center divider installed so I did not put in the Trekboxx shelf above the fridge. The Kaon was a great solution for added storage space. I now have a smaller fridge which would allow me to have the center divider and above fridge shelf but the standard center divider is too tall to work with the Kaon shelf. I asked Dave at @TrekboxX if he could make me a shorter divider. When I got home from LCDC last night it was waiting for me. I am happy with the result.

IMG_1929.jpeg

IMG_1930.jpeg

I have had the Kaon shelf and the Trekboxx alpha for a while now. When I first put in the Kaon shelf the fridge I had in the Trekboxx was two wide to have the center divider installed so I did not put in the Trekboxx shelf above the fridge. The Kaon was a great solution for added storage space. I now have a smaller fridge which would allow me to have the center divider and above fridge shelf but the standard center divider is too tall to work with the Kaon shelf. I asked Dave at @TrekboxX if he could make me a shorter divider. When I got home from LCDC last night it was waiting for me. I am happy with the result.

View attachment 2749063

View attachment 2749064
This is awesome. I may be calling Dave.

The weather stripping makes a ton of sense. I haven't had much in the way of rattling, but that's probably because I only mount it when I'm going camping and tighten it excessively. It's never mounted long enough to loosen up. That said, I think I'll be doing the weather stripping mod this weekend. Would be great to see a photo of what kind you used.
Here are a few photos, of the setup- the weatherstripping was from Ace, but I'm sure similar at HD/Lowe's I was mainly looking for something thin that would blend in decently....with the flash it's somewhat obvious, but under normal light you'd need to be looking for it
IMG_20210808_205432.jpg
IMG_20210808_205515.jpg
IMG_20210808_205521.jpg
IMG_20210808_205621.jpg

I got and email from Kaon this morning that had this option that could be added to the shelf.

Travel Buddy 12V Marine Oven - https://www.kaon.com.au/travel-buddy-12v-marine-oven

Not sure how I feel about having something hanging in the back of my 200 that can get 375 deg F. The smell of fresh cookies baking in the back while driving :hmm:.
An oven is something that should be monitored while in use and easily disconnected when not.

The myriad of electronics/fridges/batteries/GoalZero products that people have in their trucks running 24/7 unattended would have me personally more worried.

BTW Tollhouse cookies 350F for 11 minutes - perfect done-ness 😀

I got and email from Kaon this morning that had this option that could be added to the shelf.

Travel Buddy 12V Marine Oven - https://www.kaon.com.au/travel-buddy-12v-marine-oven

Not sure how I feel about having something hanging in the back of my 200 that can get 375 deg F. The smell of fresh cookies baking in the back while driving :hmm:.

You read my mind. Got same email and immediately thought… This doesn’t jibe with what I understood weight ratings to be. Then add leverage on screws and Kaon mount clips and I dunno… Seems like an idea thats interesting, but without really being something I would expect them to promote/endorse/market… ?

4D76ABB5-A677-4D81-ADDA-C463C5D29B8B.png

Its a cool little oven. Just an odd combo/placement…

An oven is something that should be monitored while in use and easily disconnected when not.

The myriad of electronics/fridges/batteries/GoalZero products that people have in their trucks running 24/7 unattended would have me personally more worried.

BTW Tollhouse cookies 350F for 11 minutes - perfect done-ness 😀
I'll assume that the intent is to only plug in and use while parked and in attendance. This seems like it will far exceed the weight limits set by Kaon, perhaps they only intend oven to me mounted while stationary.

I'll assume that the intent is to only plug in and use while parked and in attendance. This seems like it will far exceed the weight limits set by Kaon, perhaps they only intend oven to me mounted while stationary.
Load rating on the shelf is 10kg. The shipping wt on the oven is 5.5kg. Looks like it would be ok.

I dug into my rear/center dome light, and it was a PITA to work on. Yes, there is a constant +12V going to the lights, and the negative (ground) is switched. It actually makes sense once you think about it, makes it easier to isolate segments to different fuses.
Is there a recommended approach to get to that light? I want to do the same thing.

Kaon just updated the design for the 200 to give it better support by adding in a side rail- what's awesome is existing customers can get the updated parts for free.

Additionally, they created a larger integrated side MOLLE panel that can be upgraded to instead at a highly discounted rate.

Really cool of them to approach it this way and listen to their customers.

Details at the link and video there as well.

Kaon just updated the design for the 200 to give it better support by adding in a side rail- what's awesome is existing customers can get the updated parts for free.

Additionally, they created a larger integrated side MOLLE panel that can be upgraded to instead at a highly discounted rate.

Really cool of them to approach it this way and listen to their customers.

Details at the link and video there as well.

So funny. I was just about to post this. The full panels look like a good option, but also, o haven’t had any issues, which leads someone to question exactly what some people are doing in their trucks to break the frame welds.

So funny. I was just about to post this. The full panels look like a good option, but also, o haven’t had any issues, which leads someone to question exactly what some people are doing in their trucks to break the frame welds.
Exactly, watching the video it sounds like some of the actual Aussie outfitters that may very well put things through their places more than the random hats, gloves etc that mine holds.

I have to say though, it’s nice to see them be proactive and reach out to customers, most of whom will never have an issue, and provide solutions. It’s much better than the strategy of waiting till somebody complains enough before agreeing to do something.

I just watched the video and I’m leaning towards the larger option but need to run it by copilot. My thoughts are having a way to attached stuff to something versus randomly stuffing or cramming that stuff around or their items makes more sense. Plus, you could still stuff soft wearable items behind the panel agains the window.

I need more coffee before I make the final decision.

This is good timing because I’ve been wanting their front diff plug removal tool as well.

I also received the email last night. Fantastic customer support on their part!

I'm kind of torn between the options. The larger panel is potentially more useful, but I don't really like how the rear screws just go into the plastic factory panel. If there's a need to remove and reinstall the panel a few times, those screws will get loose. I suppose the third option is to take no action, but I probably will go with either the free additional support or the larger panel. I'm interested in hearing what others are thinking before I make a final decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom