Kaon Roof Shelf... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On the Kaon website, they're showing $178 for shipping alone - is that in line with everyone else here that's ordered them?
Yep, but that is AUD...so it's ONLY about $138 for a one way flight from down under.

Yeah, that’s what I paid for shipping. It feels like a lot, but it was fast and I really feel like I got my money’s worth for the total price. The mounting system is brilliant and the quality of the product is excellent.

I’m considering ordering their front recovery rings too, though I can‘t decide if I want red or gray… It seems like you have to get red these days to let people know you have an off road package 😂.

Yeah, that’s what I paid for shipping. It feels like a lot, but it was fast and I really feel like I got my money’s worth for the total price. The mounting system is brilliant and the quality of the product is excellent.

I’m considering ordering their front recovery rings too, though I can‘t decide if I want red or gray… It seems like you have to get red these days to let people know you have an off road package 😂.

Oh man, I saw those too! Had to close that browser tab...quickly.

On the Kaon website, they're showing $178 for shipping alone - is that in line with everyone else here that's ordered them?

Australian dollars.
Will convert at chackout.

Ha, that's what I was afraid of. Decisions decisions...

Ha, that's what I was afraid of. Decisions decisions...
Unfortunately no getting around it being a 350 dollar accessory, but it is well made and the shipping for me (SoCal) had it to my door in 4-5 days.

It's actually not that expensive if you think about it. The beauty of the Kaon unit is that it's stand alone and attaches to mounting points already in the vehicle. For instance Rago Fabrication and Victory 4x4 sell a similar shelf thing for 4Runners & GX's for $300-$400 but it requires you to have the matching side molle panels to attach the shelf to it, that's another $200-$300. Victory4x4 already has the side molle panels for the 200 series Land Cruiser for $200 and it's a bet that they will release the shelf for it soon for another $300. Plus I love how high the Kaon shelf sits without obstructing rearward visibility.

Last edited:
Recently installed mine as well. Love it so far!!!

Install was easy and the hardest thing was removing the OEM handle clips. One of the tpu retainers was a little tricky to fit in as well but the rest went in easily. I followed the instructions from their online Youtube video. The one thing I did add was blue lock tight to the bolts that go into the nutplates. Overall it took about 45 minutes to install and actually having the 3rd row helped with the installation as you can rest it on the seats folded up. I've used it a few times already and it's nice to have a gear loft and an extra place for storage.

PXL_20210603_002244674.jpg

Need a little nudge to get one of these? Kaon is having a 10% sale through Sunday at Midnight, use code EOFY21.
Yeah, I got the email announcing that sale as well. Now I'm even more tempted to order their recovery hooks, but I'm still conflicted between grey and red... :)

They also have some nice stuff to fix the front differential plug, and rear shock armor. Don't forget that parcel wall as well!

At some point we will get smart and do a group buy.

Yeah, that mounting system is very clever. It probably wouldn’t be crazy for them to sell just the mounting hardware separately for people who want to mount other things using the same mount location. I’m just not sure what I would actually use the shelf for...
I just checked the website and it appears they are offering the handle delete/ mounting hardware if interested.

I just checked the website and it appears they are offering the handle delete/ mounting hardware if interested.
Yeah, they've had it available separately for a while now. I ordered the full shelf and am quite pleased with it so far.

That front differential plug tool is great. I got it for the 200, but ended up using it first on my 2003 4Runner. The drain plug on the 4runner got stripped several years ago at some oil change place. I had to gently hammer that tool on the mangled plug, but It did the job and I got that plug out.

What about head room or possible head strike for the rear seat passengers??

I don't think its a good option if you are using your 3rd row. No concerns with headroom or bashing your head on it from the 2nd row passenger perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom