Builds JPs '74 Resto-Mutt (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cleaning, cleaning, and more cleaning. Getting everything ready for paint.

IMG_7905.JPG
IMG_7908.JPG
IMG_7910.JPG
IMG_7911.JPG

Also working on sanding the knuckles with 200 grit then 500 grit. Trying to smooth out some of the pitting and wear.

IMG_7892.JPG
IMG_7896.JPG

Got a couple of things in this week to hopefully wrap of the last of the needed parts.

IMG_7883.JPG
IMG_7885.JPG

No major progress. The hub rotors are painted and now on to cleaning up the knuckle housings for paint.

IMG_7954.JPG

After lots of wire wheeling I really admire the guys that are able to bead blast all of their parts!

@velillen - if you don't have one of these you should consider it. It's a Dewalt DWE4887 electric die grinder. I picked it up on sale for $99 on the Home Depot website a month ago and it's quickly become my new favorite tool and I'm not over working my air compressor. I've been using wire wheels and poly carbide wheels from Harbor Freight so it's been a cheap combo. Does good work to boot!

IMG_7978.JPG
IMG_7975.JPG
IMG_7971.JPG
IMG_7974.JPG

@velillen - if you don't have one of these you should consider it. It's a Dewalt DWE4887 electric die grinder. I picked it up on sale for $99 on the Home Depot website a month ago and it's quickly become my new favorite tool and I'm not over working my air compressor. I've been using wire wheels and poly carbide wheels from Harbor Freight so it's been a cheap combo. Does good work to boot!

Ive been using wire wheel cups on my grinder. They just arent cheap! But luckily it has lasted a long time. I got a dewalt one and it made it through both axles and some other misc parts so it does last a decent amount of time. I also have those same discs (harbor freight) i use in my cordless drill for the angles the grinder cant quite get.

Ive been debating painting when i get there so Ill definitely need a bigger compressor (i have a basic 10gallon one right now) and if i did get a bigger compressor im sure the blast cabinet will follow quickly.

Looks like you are doing just fine with that electric die grinder though!

@Jdc1 - I used VHT caliper paint on all of the knuckle parts. It lays down really well and seems pretty durable. I'm using VHT chassis and rollbar paint on the axle housings.

Spent way more time than I care to admit checking and double checking my knuckle centering measurements. I was able to get the knuckle balls grinded down for the bigger birfs to fit and get the new bearing races installed. Hopefully I measure everything right with the SST to get the shimming right for the new knuckles.

IMG_8070.JPG
IMG_8089.JPG
IMG_8096.JPG
IMG_8098.JPG

I was a couple shims short to keep moving forward. I'll have to order some more.

Finally got my old coarse spline birfs beat off my inner axles. The tube trick worked on the 1st slam for the long side, but I had to put the short side in a vice and beat the ever living $hit out of it.

The plan for the weekend was to get everything put back together, but I forgot to order inner axle circlips. I'm tempted to whip out the welder tomorrow and do the Marfield tack weld and be done with it.

I did drop off my hub and rotor today to the machine shop and had them press in the wheel studs.

IMG_8162.JPG

Also knocked out getting the third member put back on with RTV since the weather was warm.

IMG_8167.JPG

IMG_8168.JPG

Busy weekend. Had some snafus, but everything is back on track. I decided at the last minute that I wanted to do the Martac weld.

Marfield Tack

Followed Coolermans instructions and the consensus 1.5" spacing for the tacks.

IMG_8174.JPG
IMG_8177.JPG
IMG_8179.JPG

After getting the long side axle and knuckle installed I ran into an issue installing the spindle. Knuckle preloads checked out and the birf spun freely up until I tightened the spindle down the spec. Turned out my tacks were too close to the diff side and wouldn't allow the birf to fully seat.

IMG_8200.JPG
IMG_8203.JPG

Carefully using a Dremel I was able to remove the tacks and allow the axle to engage another 2.5mm.

Put everything back together and all is well now.

Driver side is now put together and all of the preloads checked out. Next to finish up the short side.

IMG_8205.JPG
IMG_8207.JPG

Finally got my knuckle rebuild done not without more drama though. Someone decided to install the inner hub seal before putting the inner wheel bearings in. :bang: Luckily the local parts store had another seal so progress continued.

Got the axle back under the 40 to find out that the old lug nuts are English and will not work with my new metric wheel studs.

Super excited that my widened steelies clear the V6 calipers without any issue.

IMG_8339.JPG
IMG_8340.JPG
IMG_8349.JPG
IMG_8351.JPG

Great thread! Thanks for the inspiration!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom