Builds JPs '74 Resto-Mutt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

J
What rims are you running? The white wagon steelies still?

Yes sir! Still running the widened white steelies. I was sweating bullets that they may not clear the calipers.

Out with the old and in with the new. Mocking up the new dual diaphragm booster from @Racer65 and a new FZJ80 master cylinder.

IMG_8396.JPG
IMG_8401.JPG
IMG_8402.JPG
IMG_8409.JPG

Haven't had much time to work on the cruiser lately due to work travel, but I finally got some wrenching time in.

Decided that before I tear apart the rear axle I'd see what it would look like to flip the rear springs to gain some wheel base. The plan is to keep the fenders with a stock look and move the rear part of the opening back 4" and only move the front of the opening 3" back to slightly widen the well.

IMG_8659.JPG

I'll have to do something about the muffler as it's shoved firmly against the tire.

Haven't had much time to work on the cruiser lately due to work travel, but I finally got some wrenching time in.

Decided that before I tear apart the rear axle I'd see what it would look like to flip the rear springs to gain some wheel base. The plan is to keep the fenders with a stock look and move the rear part of the opening back 4" and only move the front of the opening 3" back to slightly widen the well.

View attachment 1428172

I'll have to do something about the muffler as it's shoved firmly against the tire.
Cool

Made the plunge and started cutting today. I think it's going to look good once I move the front back some and weld everything up. Moving the front portion will take drilling out some spot welds first.

IMG_8716.JPG

very nice work , do you plan an anti wrap arm

@jim land - do you think one will be necessary? I know the guys that are SOA have to prevent axle wrap, but being SUA I'm not sure if I'll need one. If I start breaking stuff then yes ;)

After over a month of not touching the cruiser (work, kids, flood, home projects) finally started back on the 40. It's not the prettiest work, but I'm not expecting perfection since I still plan to replace the rear quarters, but I want to make sure the axle flip looks good and I move the wheel well correctly and keep some aesthetics.
IMG_9014.JPG
IMG_9017.JPG
IMG_9019.JPG

I've been putting off getting in the 100 degree garage lately to do any work so I picked up some new motivation from Cruiser Outfitters.

IMG_9642.JPG

Which seemed to work. Got motivated enough to pull the rear axle and start working on tearing the rear down for rear discs.

IMG_9648.JPG

I've been putting off getting in the 100 degree garage lately to do any work so I picked up some new motivation from Cruiser Outfitters.

View attachment 1502182

Which seemed to work. Got motivated enough to pull the rear axle and start working on tearing the rear down for rear discs.

View attachment 1502185
A "How To" thread with lots of photos please

A "How To" thread with lots of photos please

I'll take lots of pictures. First drained this nice chocolate milk from the rear diff. Worried me given the previous owner told me the rear was serviced when he had a lockrite installed.

IMG_9649.JPG

Confirmed that there is a locker back there and everything looks pretty clean.

IMG_9654.JPG

Now to do some reading on how to remove the c-clips to get the axles to slide out.

It took some tinkering as I couldn't find much on taking a Lock Right apart. Was able to remove the center pin and bolt.

IMG_9670.JPG
IMG_9672.JPG

After that I was able to slide one of the c-clips out and pull the short side axle.
IMG_9674.JPG

Found out there are 4-sets of springs and pins that push the locker apart. With two small flat heads you can compress the springs and remove them through an inspection slot.
IMG_9679.JPG

Once the springs are out you can slide the guide pins and pull out the internals and remove the long side c-clip.
IMG_9692.JPG

Once the axles are out I removed the keeper pins on the brake pads and then pulled the pads and springs out.

IMG_9684.JPG

Then remove the 6-bolts holding on the backing plate and beat the backing plate off with a BFH.
IMG_9686.JPG
IMG_9689.JPG
IMG_9690.JPG

Then I yanked he seal and plan to rent a slide hammer from Autozone to remove the bearings.
IMG_9697.JPG

Learned that my short side bearings were completely seized.

IMG_9703.JPG

Which in turn ruined the bearin surface on the axle. Now on to research how to fix or see if I need to bite the bullet and use it as an opportunity to upgrade the axles.

IMG_9704.JPG
IMG_9706.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom