Builds Joel's multipurpose 40 on 41s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Time to revisit gas tanks...

I'm really struggling to find enough space for fuel in this rig. I'd like to be at about 25 gallons and that's proving challenging.

Anyways, I resorted to both kinds of CAD, (computer and cardboard) and this is what I came up with.

FJFuelTankConcept4.jpg

FJFuelTankConcept5.jpg

The bottom side reliefs are for links and diff cover.

FJFuelTankConcept6.jpg

FJFuelTankConcept7.jpg

There are some big ass parts that need to share space at full compression. As modeling this is only sitting around 20 gallons. :(

I do like that I'm using all the space I have. It's definitely better than the serious wonky *ish I sketched at some point in the past.

FuelTankConcept3.jpg

In practice I found I could get this under the rear seats but not all the way forward without making the rear footwell worthless, (which I need to get as deep as I can already just to have a reasonable seating position). I like the fact it kind of gives me a fore aft sump. It also doesn't require any kind of a saddle tank since the low area is all the way side to side. I've been eyeballing the walbro pickups and would likely do 4 of them but all in the low portion. Like this but with two on each side to avoid restriction on the pump if two of them go dry.

image.php

I still really like the concept of the Holley Hydramat, but there just don't seem to be any in appropriate form factors that aren't tiny.

Last but not certainly not least, there's one more big problem with my concept... How do I avoid pretending this is Pinto and going up in flames if I ever get rear ended?

FJFuelTankConcept8.jpg

The rig will be tall enough it's just begging to slide someone else's nose under the rear bumper. It seems to me I have three choices an none of them are very good.

1) Hose my capacity and raise the tank floor. It also ruins my deep area sump strategy but I can do multiple pickups if needed. I could also just fill the void behind the back seat or let the tank bulge over the sides of the frame rails. However spilling over the rails gets in the way of my plans for a last set of structural bars back there...

FJStructure27bonus.jpg

2) Build one bad mother of a skid plate. My XJ is setup like this. You basically attach to the bottom of the frame rails using 1/4" aluminum or some such and leave an air (or rubber) gap to the actual tank. However on the XJ the bumper is still at a more reasonable height. The bonus to this approach is that the skid can become my tank support. Downside is that I'm not sure it's enough protection in the rear ending scenario.

3) Build added 4-5 bars off my bumper down to a 2x1 (or 3x1 or whatever) beam style tank support. This might look full on mad max but it does have the upside of having a bigger air gap to the tank and the armor would weld in at a pretty serious angle (tending the deflect the offending car downward (or conversely pop my rear up in the air). Downside, the tank would only be able to install from above making floorboards and firewalls that much more interesting.

I can also combine any of these options, but it's trade offs all around.

Soooooo opinions requested: What would you do to balance capacity vs. protection vs. sumps and pickups that work at all angles?

-Joel

Last edited:
Build your bumper in the rear combined with a skidplate, but make the parts below the tank removable.
That way you can raise the suspension and remove the tank from the bottom.
You might even consider a foam filled tank for safety.

Build your bumper in the rear combined with a skidplate, but make the parts below the tank removable.
That way you can raise the suspension and remove the tank from the bottom.
You might even consider a foam filled tank for safety.

So that's a vote for 2+3 yet make it removable to keep the ability to pull the tank from below. I get how foam helps control slosh, are you thinking of rate of gas release? I'm not sure how that really affects safety in a reptured tank scenario.

Do you have someone who can build a complex tank like you are mocking up?

That'd be me most likely. I'm using SolidWorks sheet metal so it handles all the bend allowables and flat patterns for you. I might get it laser cut by a third party but I've had quite a bit of success just printing things full scale then transferring to sheet metal. I have a friend with press break so the bending isn't too bad. After that it's just welding and a pressure check. The cardboard I just laid out by hand based on CAD measurements but it was damn close.

Nice, it would be a lot of welds but makes great use of the space! If you build a sturdy tank and build a strong guard for it I doubt that it would be punctured in a rear end situation.

With the complex design you may have to get fancy with some baffles or just do foam. I have just heard a lot of back and forth around whether foam holds up long term.

So that's a vote for 2+3 yet make it removable to keep the ability to pull the tank from below. I get how foam helps control slosh, are you thinking of rate of gas release? I'm not sure how that really affects safety in a reptured tank scenario.

I mean the stuff they use in race cars. It prevents fuell to leak on hot parts and ignite.

There are millions of vehicles running around with rear mounted tanks, don't over think it. Build an appropriate skidplate over it with a rear bumper behind it. Done.

That tank looks pretty complex. I would try and minimize the weld seams with more bending if you can. Avoid tight inside corners where you have to weld.

The weight will continue to add up, don't go overboard trying to cast a bridge out of solid concrete here...

Also I would be concerned with the link clearance being so tight. Things start to move in strange ways when you get it all twisted up in the rocks. Also since you haven't driven it yet you want to have room to adjust/tune the suspension. Looks like all your links are adjustable.

now you know why my tank is still under my passenger seat. That said, the only other place I found room for the tank was between the rock rails and the frame rails. Strength isn't an issue, simply use 1/8" stainless on the bottom and 16 ga for the sides and top (or even 1/4). The other option I was going with was simply a hole in the floor on the passenger side and letting the tank bottom fill that entire space - that would have been 20 gallons. I will be watching your solutions - I know I'm going to have to do something. That said, that 'stupid' (because I didn't patent it myself) Jeep 20 gallon spare-tire tank is another option - then you have a tire as protection.... anyway, my thoughts, they're free.

About the hydramat - I'm using a 3x5 (or so) mat and it's more then enough to work as both a surge tank and keep fuel in the motor. I've had no problems and there are no other baffles in the tank beside what Mr. Toyota put there. That said, kinks to the pickup do a lot.

Thanks for the chatter gents. I've been staring at this in between working on my other mess... Which brings me to said other mess.

Just when I thought I was done with organizing freebies. MillenWorks (my old job) gave away all their rem stock metals.

FreeMetal0.jpg

Holy crap! That's a lot of steel. I brought home enough to well cover my driveway and I barely dented the net.

FreeMetal1.jpg

Dom (anyone making rock sliders need some?) plus some aluminum.

FreeMetal2.jpg

Full sheets, some of them virgin.

FreeMetal3.jpg

Drops from the water jet table. This stack is about a foot deep.

FreeMetal4.jpg

Stainless (oh baby do I have some fuel hardlines in my future!)

FreeMetal5.jpg

Material cart (I bought this one) should be a huge help.

FreeMetal6.jpg

Welded shelving, I'll figure out something for this.

FreeMetal7.jpg

Stupid heavy racking.

FreeMetal8.jpg

Stupid heavy casters on a 4x4x0.25 backbone.

FreeMetal9.jpg

And this is what you look like after a day in the sun hauling free metal.

FreeMetal10.jpg

[ed note: can't for the life of me get the last picture to display even though the preview looks fine... Click here if you want to see your filthy author in full junkyard mode: https://sites.google.com/site/frijolees/FreeMetal10.jpg]

Yes, I'm dumb for wearing white. Yes, I did it on purpose because I'm also a f---ing gringo and asphalt is hot enough without a dark shirt. Took three trailer loads to get it home. With many thanks to my friend Anthony who at least got himself a great deal on a bitching shear for his trouble.

Thar be mischief afoot mi hearties! ;)

Last edited:
So what happens when you bite off more than you can chew?

Suck it up? Gag? Spit it back? I say you just gnaw on that that bastard until it’s a more manageable size. Here’s my step by step approach that will help YOU TOO on that most strange but glorious day when you find a mountain of scrap metal on your driveway.

Step 1: call in the big guns.

This is my buddy Mike. Owner of said big guns. You can take that just about any way you like and it’s still probably true. In this case the big guns I needed were some bad ass tools and a bad ass individual to spend some time gnawing on my sh-t. Wait, no… That came out wrong. Sorry brotha, I love you, man. :D

FreeMetal11.jpg

Seriously though. The porta-band ripped through this like it was nothing. Not necessarily that straight of cuts but whatever. It’s got ‘er done. This heavy racking combined with that heavy frame/casters was my idea for a way to hold all the sheet metal while all the tube would go on the cart I’d bought.

However, if you need to chop up a ton of metal, what you really want is a high torque 14” chop saw with a carbide blade. This one is “The Slugger” which Mike apparently ran across on Finnegan’s garage (see YouTube if you don’t know it). I’ve borrowed a few abrasive style chop saws and I was always been kinda “m’eh” about them. Wide cuts, too loud, too slow, burning hot results like you just welded on the end… I can do better with an angle grinder most of the time.

This thing though: Sweet tea on Sunday morning with a slice of pie before church! WOW!!

How about a more practical example? I brought home this stupid chunk of unknown something (guessing 4130 based on what else it was with).

FreeMetal12.jpg

Measuring in as an honest 2” x 3” solid; I brought this home intending to let my band saw nibble away for an hour or so and thereby have killer press blocks.

Instead…

Light pressure, maybe a couple heavy fingers worth (I know enough to not overdue it) and 43 seconds later--yes I timed it, hey I was curious!

FreeMetal13.jpg

To quote the always quotable movie Friday… “DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!”

I used this thing to rip up all my 20’ tubing into more manageable 10’ sticks (all except the SS hardlines, those went on my garage wall rack to keep ‘em long).

I even managed to jerry rig a way to square off the corners of my cart pieces.

FreeMetal14.jpg

For the record: You know it’s a bad ass tool when you’re like… “I can tiddy up these ends. I’ll just lop of the last hair of a 6” steel channel with 1/4" webbing and 3/8” flanges! Won’t take but a moment…” And IT DOESN’T!

Step 2: Realize you’re screwed and your HOA hates you. Maybe your neighbors too (less sure on that front, but definitely the HOA). Call in the wife to prep metal too.

FreeMetal15.jpg

She’s willing, she’s able. She’s not necessarily having THE MOST fun but she IS generally willing, at least to a point, because she loves you. It’s basically the same logic as when you’re feeling frisky/adventurous and she’s feeling some good ol’ quality missionary lovin’… ;) but I digress (seriously don’t show this to my wife. I do love the woman.)

Step 3: More big guns. Borrow a 220 V mig running 0.035” wire.

I’d never welded with 0.035 before. The sizzle of the MIG bacon sizzling sounds wrong on the big wire. Instead of a nice high pitch crackle, the frequency is lower. It’s like comparing the sound of a v12 to a v8. Both are right, just takes some getting used to and took me a good while to get dialed in. A good thing too, because I had about a forever of welding to do.

Step 4: Weld forever.

Then you end up with this:

FreeMetal17.jpg

That’s good until you realize the cart needs to live outside since you still only have a 2 car garage. Which means you need to….

Step 5: Clean forever.

FreeMetal16.jpg

Yep that was almost a full roll of paper towels. This rack was covered in OLD grease. You know the stuff that’s kinda gotten hard and picked up up who knows what from where during in its existence since when it was built sometime back in medieval times? Yeah, that stuff. Might have been fine without paint now that I think about it… Nah, gotta keep it tidy. That’s my MOJO. I just live with mess when I can’t help it. Good thing I inherited about 6 (might have been 7?) partial gallon jugs of denatured alcohol.

Step 6: Paint forever.

Seriously, I finished this in the dark under lights so I didn’t grab any pictures. I just went in stages from the inside out so I wouldn’t be reaching through wet paint. It got touched up in the morning on the couple spots I missed.

Step 7: Load metal.

Hahahahaha, no just kidding… Step 7 is PREP metal. All my tubing got hosed down in fogging oil (I’d make another sex joke but I’m tired and that one’s just too easy). All my plate got excess bits trimmed using the plasma so it’d be a bit more manageable. I burned up my compressor I ran it so hard and so long with the plasma. *Sigh* well sounds like I better wire up the big bastard instead of the portable guy.

Step 8: Load metal…

Silly boy. Nope, Step 8 is clear space in the 8-12’ width that is the slab at the side of your house since you’d already filled that with randomness and the carts don’t quite fit yet. Convince yourself it’s OK to sell the junk tires and mustang wheels you thought you might go drifting on--but probably won’t--since you made your car too nice. (psssst…. Hey mista… wanna buy some mustang RIMS yo yo!! I got RIMS baby! I’ll hook you up!)

Step 9: Load metal?

Yeah ok, now it’s time. Recruit one more buddy who’s pic you don’t take because you’re so in awe that he managed to take his new driver’s license picture wearing a “Make America Great Again” hat. Not that I love Trump but it was trolling on a whole 'nother level (true story I won’t name the perpetrator). Apparently they had to call the state capital to verify if "Make America Great Again" could be claimed as a religion.

Assuming you haven’t shot yourself in the head with all the big guns floating around this place, you tell yourself. “Self, that’s $12k in metal, be thankful you don’t have a job and could spend a week on this! The good Lord knows what he’s doing and smiles on his idiot children”

At some point you actually do load all the metal and you end up here:

FreeMetal18.jpg

FreeMetal19.jpg

Then it makes you giggle and smile every time you walk by. And once again all is well with the world.

By the way, my OCD loved (!!!!) sorting the goods. The tubing is pretty self explanatory. It’s sorted by material first, then shape, then size. The metal rack goes stainless, then steel, then aluminum (lighter when you need to reach deeper), then wood since I don’t much care about the plywood. There’s a bunch of plastic skid plate material tucked in wherever it fits since I’m not OCD enough to give it a dedicated space…. I still need to build a cover for both racks and I’m toying with ideas on how to build that into the rack since hey, they should be plenty strong enough. I think that racking material was 3/8” wall tube. Even with Mike, Anthony AND me (not technically a slouch, I mostly joke around), these things were barely moveable when they were full length with 13 of those legs sticking out.

So that’s the party and step by step plan for what to do when you inherit something north of 5,000 lbs of free metal (and bite off more than you can chew).

Love and humptiness to all.
-Joel

PS It’s late and I’m mostly entertaining myself (feel free to NOT take that any way you see fit.) I’ll upload pics and get this posted tomorrow. Which is now, now. Funny how that works.

Last edited:
I should probably remind folks that the circumstances of this hook-up are far from ideal. Most notably I am still unemployed so it ain't all roses. It also took an metric ton of work in blazing heat to make happen. If I came home with 5k lbs of metal I probably moved 15k lbs in sorting in that parking lot.

To my way of thinking this is more of a silver lining in a stormy sky kinda story. ;)

holy mother of all thats steel... you got FREE steel??? where im from thats just not heard of ... even scraps is worth $$$. very very jealous...

oh, and nice rig, love the stance

The Unemployed circumstance is certainly far from ideal. With free steel at least that helps keep the project moving!!! Good luck with the job hunt.

Any crazy projects in mind for all that material?

The Unemployed circumstance is certainly far from ideal. With free steel at least that helps keep the project moving!!! Good luck with the job hunt.

Any crazy projects in mind for all that material?

Thanks. Some will get used for the Land Cruiser, some will get used building RX7 parts for www.roninspeedworks.com (I'm one of the principals). Some will just be for future use, TBD. I always find things to do with metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom