Is this insane? Or just stupid? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RevISK

SILVER Star
Threads
Messing around trying to figure out how best to install a Bestop fold and tumble rear seat and I get this idea. Surely someone has done this?

The Bestop sits too low and I’m looking at 5 holes to drill into the tub. This route would use all factory holes where the jump seats mount and would only need one hole for the seat belts between seats.

Just a mockup currently… looking for thoughts or ridicule.

IMG_9828.jpeg
IMG_9827.jpeg

Actually, it's rather ingenious.... As long as its reinforced in the back, I think it's good. If you're trying to save money and not buy something, I understand, but if you want comfort, look to a Mitsubishi Mini-Van rear seat. Very comfy.

Actually, it's rather ingenious.... As long as its reinforced in the back, I think it's good. If you're trying to save money and not buy something, I understand, but if you want comfort, look to a Mitsubishi Mini-Van rear seat. Very comfy.
Thanks.
I have the Bestop seat (purchased) but was going to have to fabricate stuff for it anyway.

The back brackets actually line up pretty well with their original mounting holes so some L and 1x2 square tubing would solve the back support issue.
Would replace the unistrut with this as well.

Looking at 3-point belts that would mount to the roll cage and floor.

I’ll keep tinkering and get back in a bit…

Ian

Looks good, but that strut is way too small for the crash load though. Two big adults will bend that in half in the right (wrong) crash.

I'd make it way bigger and attached to something solid so it is properly structural and hang the seat belts off it too - maybe add a strut down to the floor?

Looks good, but that strut is way too small for the crash load though. Two big adults will bend that in half in the right (wrong) crash.

I'd make it way bigger and attached to something solid so it is properly structural and hang the seat belts off it too - maybe add a strut down to the floor?
It’s just a mock-up to test the arrangement.
If you read my two posts above you’ll understand.

I’m liking this idea more and more. Fairly non-invasive, increases storage when passengers (my spawn) are in (takes it away when not) and uses original seats.

Still a WIP…

Pizza time then will continue to MOCK THIS UP to test validity and fitment.

Ian

Years ago i bought a set of seats that were made by a guy in north idaho that were forward facing jump seats. They folded up to the sides and then the back flipped up. They were pretty nice. If you fab a hinged bracked you could make the same thing. For comfort i think you want them further toward the middle.

Last edited:
Years ago i bought a set of seats that were made by a guy in north idaho that were forward facing jump seats. The folded up to the sides and then the back flipped up. They were pretty nice. If you fab a hinged bracked you could make the same thing. For comfort i think you want them further toward the middle.
Do you have any pictures? I get what you’re saying but visuals help. I like gap in the middle as the leeches can enter through the back instead of snaking through the front and stepping on everything they shouldn’t.

80 seats and brackets, maybe.

Years ago bought some 2dr Montero front seats to get the driver's suspension seat. I went back and picked up the rear fold and tumble seat. It only have lap seat belts but can attach the so they are anchored to the frame. Did that with a first gen Bronco seat yards ago when the kids were small.
IMG_20210111_152358268.jpg
IMG_20210111_152127968.jpg

My specific question is about this setup using stock jump seats in a forward facing fashion.

I have a Bestop seat, just don’t love the mounting options. Looked for montero and samurai seats but found a decent deal on this Bestop.

Stumbled on this setup while messing around with exploring options for the Bestop mount.

Agreed.

The 40 isn't a safe vehicle no matter what though.

This vehicle has no airbags…
We die like men.

It’s just a mock-up to test the arrangement.
If you read my two posts above you’ll understand.

I’m liking this idea more and more. Fairly non-invasive, increases storage when passengers (my spawn) are in (takes it away when not) and uses original seats.

Still a WIP…

Pizza time then will continue to MOCK THIS UP to test validity and fitment.

Ian
I did read the two posts above including where you suggested replacing it with a 2x1 which is still WAY TOO SMALL.
Shouting is really quite rude when people are trying to help you.

I did read the two posts above including where you suggested replacing it with a 2x1 which is still WAY TOO SMALL.
Shouting is really quite rude when people are trying to help you.
Mr. Dougal,

Perhaps there is a cultural difference at play here.
Also, perhaps I took your reply as only looking at the pictures and not reading my posts. But you’re British, so of course you’d actually read my post.

My thoughts and approach here is that there are currently only 4 small bolts holding these seats in and that is considered “fine”. If I apply structural steel along with gussets and heftier bolts, I feel I’d be ahead of the game as far as the seats go. Also, the passengers (my children most often) would be secured by the seat belts, which would be secured to the roll bar and tub and not the seats. So the seats are really only for sitting. Even 1x2” 1/8” wall tube is stronger than the tub I would think. However, it would all still be anchored to the tub so…

Be that as it may, I am rethinking things to anchor under the roll bar, however, that starts me down the rabbit hole of fabrication that I thought I might be avoiding.

All in all, I like the idea of using the factory seats in a different manner without major modifications to the body or seats. That’s the fun I guess.

I do appreciate your help, really. I wasn’t yelling, I was capitalizing to reiterate my point.

Ian
Or in British English, Ian.

Do you have any pictures? I get what you’re saying but visuals help. I like gap in the middle as the leeches can enter through the back instead of snaking through the front and stepping on everything they shouldn’t.
Yeah I do, but I have to get them off the computer later when I have access to them.

Yeah I do, but I have to get them off the computer later when I have access to them.
I’d certainly appreciate that.

Btw, I’ve been following your posts, fun stuff.

It’s getting dark and the suds are flowing. Chose to grab my gitbox instead of doing anything more with this tonight. However, talked to a fabrition wizard pal of mine who is a metal hoarder and will head to his place in the morning for a supply run.

I do appreciate everyone’s input, the more I study this mockup, the more I’m convinced this could be a bitchin and reversible mod for those of us with young kids now who will inexplicably get older and the jump seat configuration will make sense again.

Stay tuned for more stupidity…

Forward seats are safer. Stock jump seats either way are not comfortable though.
I concur on both points. However, I will only be sitting back there never, so… it’s only temporary and that’s kind of the point.

My front seats are a hot mess, safety for the rear guard is paramount though.

If I stumble upon a way to make the Bestop seat work to my satisfaction I’ll shift gears. As it were.

We shall see…

Ian

I should also reiterate that no matter what, 3-point belts are going in. Maybe even 4-point if I can make it work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom