Intro Xml325 38.5's with no lift 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My truck with nothing cut off of it just stock and removing third row, second row, hitch, spare tire and hanger, and running boards was 4660. I have to think these chops could be 600lbs or more lighter than that so you could see one of them around 4000 or just slightly under.

image.jpeg

For context: front axle weight was about 820 lbs. more than the rear; while this isn't a perfect representation, even if I took the flatbed off the rig she'd still be pushing 1.5 tons up front. (again, this is with an ARB, M12000, IPOR skid, ARB steps, and 35's on steelies).

The 1FZ isn't light, nor are these fully boxed frames and the rest of the beef.

This is where mine new project is at currently.

2840 Total

Front-
1660 total
880 drivers side
780 passenger side
640 unsprung ( front axle, suspension, steering would be 366 )
1020 sprung

Rear-
1180 total
560 drivers side
620 passenger side
620 unsprung ( rear axle, suspension would be 346 )
540 sprung

Tire and wheel is 137lbs

So approximately 500lbs front heavy currently. When I mounted the new engine/trans/t-case I moved it back a lot with the new FJ40 front clip. I also tried to get the front and rear driveshafts to be equal length so a common spare could work on either end. The crank pulley is now right over the front axle at full bump. I still have a lot of body to build, but I hope I can keep it somewhat front heavy. The heavier items I still have to add are the fuel tank, front winch, battery, etc. The rest will be fairly centered between the axles front to rear.

Hey all, I removed the pair valve, blocked off the header where the tubes attached and converted to a cone filter. Now it seems like the truck is harder to start at times and I get a little smoke when she first cranks. I don't believe she ever smoked, atleast I never saw it, before performing the above mentioned mods. Any way the mods could cause this? If deleting the pair valve do you also need to delete the egr? Other than that she runs and idles great.

I deleted my pair and do not see what you are describing. All the PAIR does is pulse air into your exhaust to dilute the chemicals coming out the tailpipe and possibly help with Catalytic converter efficiency. It could be that it was diluting the exhaust enough that you weren't noticing the smoke before? PAIR should have zero impact on starting ability.

I forget what year yours is, but when messing around with the intake tube and MAF or VAF (depending on year) could you have damaged anything cracked the tube, or gotten debris into the air flow sensor? If you haven't driven it much the ECM could still be getting used to the cone.

If you had the battery unplugged for a significant amount if time I think there is a relearn process for the ECU that takes a couple start/run cycles.

I deleted my pair and do not see what you are describing. All the PAIR does is pulse air into your exhaust to dilute the chemicals coming out the tailpipe and possibly help with Catalytic converter efficiency. It could be that it was diluting the exhaust enough that you weren't noticing the smoke before? PAIR should have zero impact on starting ability.

I forget what year yours is, but when messing around with the intake tube and MAF or VAF (depending on year) could you have damaged anything cracked the tube, or gotten debris into the air flow sensor? If you haven't driven it much the ECM could still be getting used to the cone.

If you had the battery unplugged for a significant amount if time I think there is a relearn process for the ECU that takes a couple start/run cycles.

It does seem to do better cranking after I've done so 10 or more times, however today when I took her to play on a somewhat steep but short hill, It died out once when I stopped on the hill side and then after I went just over the top of the hill. It ran really rough until I rev'd it to clear it out. It has never done that before and now I'm wiggin out about deleting the pair system and adding the cone filter. I had her in low range with just the rear locked, any idea as to why the incline would cause her to die and run rough? She runs great on the street......

What kind of cone filter did you add? Did you oil it? Many a MAF has been upset with too much filter oil.

Autozone special pre oiled like a K&N knock off. It didn't seem to be over oily, wonder if that's it though. The truck runs great on the street and accelerates better than before.

Is your intake hose in good shape? Maybe you cracked it while tinkering around.

Motor movement while in low range could open the crack wider and change the fuel/air ratio. Check, too, the wire harness at the back of the motor by the EGR. It has been known to get melted and short out on the EGR pipe in high torque situations like low range and power braking.

Update on my SLOW project.
Not as much time as I would like on this but I have managed to do a bunch of tack welding! Still bunch more tacking but I get board with it too quick. To offset the boring tack after tack after tack, I create more tacking! Added a flush mount shovel and decided to mimic the FJ40 grill. Flogg away!

2016-09-20 20.57.55.jpg

20160917_084256.jpg

View attachment 1324948

Last edited:
Yes I like the FJC front grill look. I've seen it on some 4runners... looks good.
I really like the look of this rig also.
I will delete these pics apon request... if asked.

user2481_pic28974_1324353223.jpg

user2481_pic28951_1324352801.jpg

user2481_pic28982_1324353223.jpg

user2481_pic28948_1324352801.jpg

user2481_pic28949_1324352801.jpg

I don't want derail this thread. So if OP wants this deleted then we must agree to delete it, but those RC cars fool me all the time on youtube. I still do like the tubing work on that rig. That was the main focus of my post.

That RC tube front 80 series bumper is sweet.

In the real world, the low front frame on the 80 would make that hard.

Last edited:
I'm running 365/75r16s, 37.5" in height. I too kept the suspension stock, used a body lift instead and trimmed where necessary. Stock gears. It is sluggish off the line, but I have no issue with power or overdrive. That being said, it will jump into 3rd with any incline. Can't report long term, as it is coming up on one year since the change.

@JeepinPete, where did you find 16s in that size?

They are BFG KM2's. Appears they no longer make this size.

I thought these were the military tires you can get surplus. search ebay for xml325

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom