Installing The lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I started installing my skyjacker lift today. Used one of the examples on the tech links as a guide. Couldn't get the U bolts off even though I soaked them with PB Blaster. So I went and bought a cut tool to add to my air tools (More tools is good!). This went through the ubolt with no problem. Then came that damn pin. I heated it like was suggested. When that didn't work I used the cut tool, but wouldn't you know it the 3" diameter disk was just a little to small to cut the pin all the way through. I messed with that damn pin for almost 3 hours.
I borrowed my buddy's reciprocating saw and it cut right through. The spring and most of the pin then came out. Problem now is that the pin head is still on the frame mount (yes I took out the screws). I tried a hammer, an impact hammer and no go. It's like it is welded on. I soaked it with PB Blaster and will try again in the AM. If anyone has any better ideas, I would appreciate it.

Lessons learned so far: PB Blaster is Good, Air Tools help a lot. Make sure you have access to a good reciprocating saw.

Ken

Try twisting it with a big pipe wrench, but be careful 'cause there isn't much meat there to grab. That worked for me last summer on the '82. I had decided prior to the lift that I was getting greasable pins and shackles at the same time so the condition that the old parts came out was not important. I found a good use for large "C" clamps and a come-along as well when installing the lift. The "C" clamp to push things together or apart and the come along to bring my axles back (I did one side at a time but the axles seemed to want to move away from each other once the u bolts were off).

when i took all the crap apart for my SOA everything came out fine.. i mean i ended up ruining the first 2 or 3 spring pins by Beating them out , but i just went and got some 5/8 Grade 8 to replace it with.. i would just beat the crap out of it till it comes out.. Get a bigger hammer... Good luck!

good luck Romer. That was the toughest part installing my lift as well. Blasted things didn't want to come out. had to heat them up and bang on them for a while.
Oh, and if you have a wife or girl. I'd recommend holding off till Monday... it might take you a while.

I set the rig up on jack stands (and blocks of wood) whatever it takes to make sure it is going to move, then use a floor jack under the spring to even out the load.
Remove all the nuts, get out a bfh (the one I have is brass) and beat the end of the shackles a couple times. If it doesn't move, lift up the spring/axle then hit it a few more times. I take off the shackles first, then the pin at the other end.
I'm sure heat will work, but would suck cleaning up all the melted bushings.

As for the skyjacker lift, I removed the spring then immediately reinstalled the skyjacker spring before going to the other side.

try a chisel or a sharp prybar in between the pin and the mount, thats what i did. and i used a pipe wrench to unweld it from the bushings.

Well, I tried heat for about 20 minutes with no success. So I took the Air Cut tool and carefully created a space between the Frame mount and the pin head. When I had it big enough, I used a chisel and that made it break free after working the cust tool several times to make a bigger space. That was fun. The others should go easier now that I figured a way out even for a "Bastard " pin.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Second came out easier. Spent 10 minutes with the heat and hammer to no avail. Took 5-10 minutes to make a seam with the cut tool(carefull not to shave the frame), got the chisel in there and 10 minutes later had it out.

Now for the shocks, then install the front stuff and move to the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom